Made - gold ring

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi all, as some of you already know, I've been working through the process of getting some of my gold dust smelted and made into a ring. Well, success is at hand!

image-2439948006.jpg

PS shhh, don't tell her, I want it to be a surprise!

Upvote 0

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Nice, Kevin! Tell us a little more, please. What is the purity of the gold and do I see stones?

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The gold was smelted to 99% pure so the gold smith could alloy it properly to make a durable ring. Like most rings, it is now 14K. My wife wants a gold band to wear when she is being active so she doesn't worry about losing her diamond so that's what this ring is about. What you see on the band is freehand engraving of daisies...her favorite flower and what I gave her 32 years ago when we started dating seriously :-)

The finished ring weighs 5.5 grams so the gold content is 3.3 grams. To make a ring this size however, you need about twice that much gold so the smith has enough material to pour in the mould. You get the rest of the gold back as it's removed when they trim the ring before polishing.

It's been interesting to get this deep into the process of going from raw placer gold to a finished piece of jewelry!

Last edited:

425jesse

Feb 10, 2013
Mountlake Terrace
Detector(s) used
4" Dalke Original Compact Dredge, 36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, D&D/Brawn Super Concentrator and Highbanker top, Brawn/D&D finishing table, pans and more!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wow Kevin, that is amazing. I hope to do the same for my wife for our 12th anniversary. She has come with me on nearly every prospecting adventure I've had this year and is a great sport! She has no idea that what we have found will soon be a permanent piece of her life! I really like the daisies too!

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful ring Kevin. Your wife is a lucky girl and you are obviously a very lucky guy that she agreed to be with you all these years. I know that is how I feel about my 35+ years. Many more years of bliss to you and your wife.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Excellent Kevin! Looks and sounds like you put a lot of thought into this little project. If this don't get ya some "Brownie Points" nothing will!

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gorgeous, she's gonna love it.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Way to go Kevin!
woot-035.gif

Would love to do much the same for my wife, but still a long, long ways to
go.

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Way to go Kevin! Would love to do much the same for my wife, but still a long, long ways to go.
...just keep diggin'!

And thanks everyone, I was almost as eager to show all of you as I am to surprise my wife with it! (But only almost ;) )

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kevin, are you going to renew your wedding vows? Kinda cool and it should mean more to her than buying some over priced ring.
Not vows but I am going to get down on one knee and re-propose :)

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Cool Kevin :icon_thumleft:

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Very cool ring Kevin. The idea, work, memories and finished product all rolled into one band? Priceless. Congrats.
Background on the process was all brand new to me...thanks for sharing!

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats Kevin - since making rings from placer has been discussed here before, I was afraid to tell the guys that it requires over twice as much placer to produce the ring. It doesn't degrade the intent though if you just pay the goldsmith for the extra gold required to make the pour. And the jeweler
goldsmith usually just keeps the trimmings at little to no extra charge. Regardless, its a timeless keepsake well worth the effort. :icon_thumright:

Last edited:
OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Very cool. Is the process expensive?
Well...I guess that's a matter of perspective:
-smelting cost: a 12pack of craft beer ;-)
-goldsmith labor: $500 but that includes a lot of time for the custom engraving; a simple mold, cast, trim, polish would be less
- smile on her face when I give it to her: priceless!

Congrats Kevin - since making rings from placer has been discussed here before, I was afraid to tell the guys that it requires over twice as much placer to produce the ring. It doesn't degrade the intent though if you just pay the goldsmith for the extra gold required to make the pour. And the jeweler goldsmith usually just keeps the trimmings at little to no extra charge. Regardless, its a timeless keepsake well worth the effort. :icon_thumright:
Good points. I gave the goldsmith 7.25 grams to work with and 3.3 g ended up in the ring and 3.0 in the trimmings he gave me. The rest is in the mold matrix or on the floor where it will be swept up by the goldsmith. To us losing about a gram seems like a lot but that's how it goes.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread