Silver on quartz rocks

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can anyone tell me if there is silver quartz. Not talking about silver in quartz for I know there is silver in quartz. I sent a few rocks to assay company not the one pictured here but one of the rocks I sent had silver spots on it like this one and the assay company thinks that the silver spots are just quartz. Just wanted to know if quartz come in silver color. I would expect them to say Galena or something like that but not just part of the quartz rock. Thanks. Different Rocks 013.JPG

Upvote 0

Doitlaynstyle

Feb 21, 2013
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Rock Nose and sniffer belly
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have notice a silver flake effect on quartz sometimes too. Usually only when the quartz is sheeting, crystalline, or flaky. Globular quarts doesn't show this usually

Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I have found many Quartz specimens with the same or nearly identical sheen or shine to them while Gold and Gem prospecting! I am almost certain that it is nothing more than residue left over from compositions and possible oily substances that got mixed in with the components that formed the Quartz and heated to extreme temperatures either via compression from extreme weight of material over top the Quartz deposit when it formed or from volcanic activity. This is also often seen where Topaz is formed and accounts for much of the greasy sheen and feel of Topaz specimens. To my recollection, I have not seen this type of sheen on Quartz specimens found outside of areas that were subject to extreme compression or volcanic activity (i.e. areas that contain mainly Sedimentary rocks and areas that contain Sedimentary rocks along with limited amounts of Metamorphic rocks)!

Frank

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found many Quartz specimens with the same or nearly identical sheen or shine to them while Gold and Gem prospecting! I am almost certain that it is nothing more than residue left over from compositions and possible oily substances that got mixed in with the components that formed the Quartz and heated to extreme temperatures either via compression from extreme weight of material over top the Quartz deposit when it formed or from volcanic activity. This is also often seen where Topaz is formed and accounts for much of the greasy sheen and feel of Topaz specimens. To my recollection, I have not seen this type of sheen on Quartz specimens found outside of areas that were subject to extreme compression or volcanic activity (i.e. areas that contain mainly Sedimentary rocks and areas that contain Sedimentary rocks along with limited amounts of Metamorphic rocks)!

Frank
We been working this vein for a while now. Are there good veins in tenn? Thanks.

OP
OP
G

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Frank

Hey Huntsman, i sent to assay company they said the silver looking stuff on my rock was Magnesium.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions