MISSING MINER

707Dut

Mar 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anybody ever hear what the cause of death was?

asteever

Nov 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi... I hope I'm not intruding on your forums or anything. I found this thread searching Google for the news coverage. Walt was my dad. Thank you for the kind thoughts.

Anyway, Dad had been going to that claim for 8 years, knew it really well, memorized the maps, grew up near there, was used to rough country. He was also very physically strong, and sharp. I just can't imagine he would have been lost for any longer than it would take to pull out his compass or look up to get a bearing and head due north until he hit the river. Certainly not long enough to die of exposure. He also wasn't trapped or injured at all (which is oddly comforting, at least he wasn't stuck out there for days). So we don't have a cause of death and won't for a few months until they finish the autopsy.

It seems likely from what they have found that he had a sudden heart attack or possibly stroke, several days before he even would have started home. He was cutting through heavy brush, maybe taking a shortcut back to camp, which is what made him so hard to find.

I don't know if a radio beacon could have saved him and I can't think about it right now, I just can't. BUT if you're going out there and there is anything you can carry that would help you be found in whatever state, please please please please do it. Its something you never really expect to need. Maybe it saves your life, maybe it saves you a really uncomfortable night, maybe it saves your family two and a half days of helpless worry straight out of their worst nightmares. Maybe you never even use it and give it to your great grandkids to teethe on when you're ninety five. I vote for that last. Anyway that was all I wanted to say, sorry for rambling on. Good luck out wherever you go.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
asteever, thank you for you kindness in posting here and explaining a few things for us and for your well meant thoughts. Our hearts go out to you and everyone in the family.

When I'm "out there" especially by myself I know I'm pushing the limits however I love it so much out there that if I spent my last living moments there I would be happy.............................63bkpkr

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Asteever: Thank you for taking the time to join the site, and to share a bit about your
Dad.

Having lost my dad just 4 years ago, I can appreciate how confusing it can
be when there's questions about how, or why our loved ones life ended so
suddenly. FWIW, over the years since my dad passed there has been time to
remember all the wonderful memories that we shared, and I've actually come
to a much deeper understanding and appreciation of "who" my dad really was.

You and your family have my prayers, and perhaps with time you will arrive at
much the same place..nothing but good memories.

Bejamble

Oct 2, 2013
Guam
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Excal II, Fisher 1280X, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Asteever, my sincere condolences.

Rest In Peace Walt

Cory

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a good honorable way to die-doing what ya luv the most and with your boots on like a man. RIP ol'sod--deepest condolences-John

68Shelby

Greenie
Sep 12, 2013
Mud Flat
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Asteever I'm sorry to hear about your loss. I'm 45 and I go out and slip and fall in remote areas at least once a week and I'm a prime candidate for a heart attack. I've been considering getting an emergency satellite phone and your post has convinced me to find the funds to buy it.

There are probably a lot of people doing the exact the exact same thing after reading your post.

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
So sorry for your loss, god bless your dad and his family. By your description, he sounded like quite a guy

Hi... I hope I'm not intruding on your forums or anything. I found this thread searching Google for the news coverage. Walt was my dad. Thank you for the kind thoughts.

Anyway, Dad had been going to that claim for 8 years, knew it really well, memorized the maps, grew up near there, was used to rough country. He was also very physically strong, and sharp. I just can't imagine he would have been lost for any longer than it would take to pull out his compass or look up to get a bearing and head due north until he hit the river. Certainly not long enough to die of exposure. He also wasn't trapped or injured at all (which is oddly comforting, at least he wasn't stuck out there for days). So we don't have a cause of death and won't for a few months until they finish the autopsy.

It seems likely from what they have found that he had a sudden heart attack or possibly stroke, several days before he even would have started home. He was cutting through heavy brush, maybe taking a shortcut back to camp, which is what made him so hard to find.

I don't know if a radio beacon could have saved him and I can't think about it right now, I just can't. BUT if you're going out there and there is anything you can carry that would help you be found in whatever state, please please please please do it. Its something you never really expect to need. Maybe it saves your life, maybe it saves you a really uncomfortable night, maybe it saves your family two and a half days of helpless worry straight out of their worst nightmares. Maybe you never even use it and give it to your great grandkids to teethe on when you're ninety five. I vote for that last. Anyway that was all I wanted to say, sorry for rambling on. Good luck out wherever you go.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread