DIY Sluice box rubber matting

CApicker

Nov 3, 2013
West Sacramento, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been wanting to do a home-made sluice project using only rubber matting for easy clean-outs. Trying to do this on a budget I was hoping to find or figure out some sort of box. Finally a piece of recycle I found worked just about right. Here is What I'm starting with:
Project1.jpg

Using some Gorilla Glue Tape I covered the wholes in the aluminum trough and cut a couple of pieces of matting I bought at a gold store.
Project2.jpg

The matting was designed for a different sluice replacement matt but it worked well and the riffles seem aggressive enough to catch most anything.
Project3.jpg

Total cost so far was about $40. Can't wait to try the matting!

Upvote 0

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Welcome to TNet CApicker. I am in the process of building my own sluice as well. I am using Gold Hog Mats. Rubber mats are very popular with the exception of one individual here in the forums.

SLU10.jpg

OP
OP
C

CApicker

Nov 3, 2013
West Sacramento, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the welcome AzViper... that's an awesome looking sluice you have there. I do have one piece of Gold Hog Razor Back matting that I intend to cut and glue to fit this same box I have. I have the length to put both mattings together into about a 4' run, but that seems kind of long to take to the rivers. Nice piece of aluminum; that's the hard part.

juneaupanner

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any idea what the green matt is from? I kinda like the look of it.

OP
OP
C

CApicker

Nov 3, 2013
West Sacramento, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was a replacement mat for a small light weight portable high-banker that was selling as a complete kit at Pioneer Mining in Auburn CA. I got to see it in action and it really held the black sand and Gold well even in high velocity. next time I visit the store I can get a brand on that. Cant seem to find it on the web either.

Doitlaynstyle

Feb 21, 2013
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Rock Nose and sniffer belly
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

juneaupanner

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CApicker that would be great. Ive searched the net all over a d have had no such luck.

OP
OP
C

CApicker

Nov 3, 2013
West Sacramento, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I've got a piece of the GH Razorback and I am planning to get that glued up soon. I bought it first but after finding that already perfect size piece of green matting I decided to make both so I will post up the other as well. I am hoping to get some good results on my first try this week or weekend on the South Yuba River. I have been getting good amounts of flour to fine placers from the tailings. Here is an example that even shows one of the small red crystals I believe may be Garnets? Not sure though about that. Anyway GH matting will absolutely rock at this site! I'll check that thread as well thanks!

20131027_150555.jpg

OP
OP
C

CApicker

Nov 3, 2013
West Sacramento, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK now I cut the Gold Hog Razor Back mat into 4 pieces or a 2 foot run that will fit my box.

Cut GH.jpg

I can use it with the Green Mat I already have to make a 49" x 7 3/4" sluice. Yikes! very long for streams and rivers. Or I can make 2 separate sluices about 24" x 7 3/4" and run them side by side?

49 inches complete.jpg

I wonder if they will work together nicely?

GH Close up.jpg

GH to Green Mat.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread