I Didnt pay maintenance fee on my claim, now what?

Jul 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Didn't pay maintenance fee on my claim, now what?

I think I may have missed the payment date for the 2013 maintenance fee on my claim, it is in San Bernardino county CA. I haven't called the BLM yet but I guess that is what I will have to do tomorrow.
Does anyone know what the policy is for this type of thing? Will I still be able to keep my claim or am I out of luck? I am hoping they will just accept my payment or add a small late fee but I am afraid they may have already voided my claim and I may be to late to do anything about it.
Any info on what I can do or what to expect would be great.

Upvote 0

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sadly the BLM has already voided your claim for nonpayment/nonfiling. There is no workaround or late fee. It's Federal law so your only option is to re-stake and make a new County Recording of the new Location Notice and a new claim filing with the BLM. You will be issued a new CAMC# when you file with the BLM.

It's too late to make a difference now but if you worked the claim for the 30 days after you missed the filing date you would have the exclusive right to re-claim that location. Since that 30 days have passed you would be wise to see if anyone else has made a new location on your spot before you locate again. If they have you will lose your filing fees and still not have a valid claim should you make a new location before checking for other claims.

It's a bit more money to start over again but if you act quick and stake before others do you can have your old claim location back. Good Luck. :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread