63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The four walls got to me so after I installed the new alternator on the 'ole girl' I filled her up with what I felt was necessary gear and headed out into the very early morning, ~ 2:23 AM on Tuesday. Arrived in Auburn in time to be the first customer at Starbuck's, I needed something to keep my eyes open. Headed down across the new Modified bridge and got up to the switch back where one can receive a cell phone signal and made a few calls to let the sun come up over the edge of the earth.

I topped 7K' and dropped down to the entry road to be greeted by patches of snow in the shady areas and a frozen dirt road. Switched the hubs into lock, tranny into 4x4 and granny and headed in.
DSCN0077_01.JPG Drove carefully over the berms and turned to reach the first objective, a very large hunk of quartz outcropping that I wanted to wave the GMT over and around. Arrived at the fallen trees, the one's Hefty and I could not move, turned the Bronco around and stopped there.
DSCN0078.JPG I sifted through the items in my pack to take only what was needed while my SPOT messenger (orange thing on the hood) sent out a message that I was OK. I shouldered the pack and headed out to the cliff edge. On my way out there I noted some animal had walked out of the area I was going into, tracks in the snow. The ground cover is getting a good hold on messing up the hiking since the 2008 fire burned it all to the ground. Arriving at the cliff edge/ridge line that goes down into the canyon I stopped for a picture.
DSCN0079.JPG Just barely to the left side of the center of the picture is this tan color, that is the ridge line I was to walk down on, with frost heaves and ground still frozen. I went as far down as I could and no quartz outcropping. Crud! DSCN0083.JPG I looked back up at where I'd been and started the trudge back up. I'm glad I did not hike Hefty down here for nothing! On the way back up I happened to notice this unique looking rock/tree structure and considered it and the view to unique to not capture it DSCN0088.JPG Ma Nature sure knows how to make some beautiful sights! While I was there I thought I'd take a picture with the detector in it as there was no sense wasting carrying it all the way in for nothing DSCN0092.JPG From there I hiked pretty much back up to the cliff edge and decided to return by going around the point to look for that outcropping.
DSCN0098.JPG The snow covered ridge line is where I needed to hike back to but first I went straight through the burned trees and then angled to the left, still no outcropping. Once on the ridge I zig zagged back and forth hoping to come across that outcropping but no luck. Soon I caught up with my tracks as well as the tracks of the animal that had also walked up out of the canyon DSCN0105.JPG I believe it was a bear and every now and them I thought I could also see a cubs track within the larger animals track. Back at the Bronco I decided to go for the second large rock mountain top I wanted to scout out. I began the drive back to the main dirt road and quickly noticed that in the 2.5 hours I'd been away the sun had been out and the road was no longer frozen. The Bronco was squirming on the road especially on the uphill grades. Thinking about the steepness of the true jeep road I would need to go down and back up and that I was alone, no winch on the vehicle I decided to give up on the second goal. Darn again!

On the way back to the main road I was thinking about what to do next, make an early camp or go visit someone? So I found myself at 2cmorau's welcome mat where I was welcomed first by two Fine Black Labs and then a friendly handshake from the man himself. We hit it right off and talked into the night till neither of us could keep our eyes open. I took the back bedroom and zonked on the floor and he decided to check out the living room couch for awhile. In the morning I awoke to the aroma of good food cooking, what a great way to wake up AND I was even served a plate of it!! Then we headed out to one of his claims on the Yuba to 'work' for awhile. He'd previously found a spot that was showing some color and began to work that while I did a Lanny on the bedrock. DSCN0122.JPG 2c digging it out with Yuba close by

DSCN0126.JPG Classify and pan with intent observer

DSCN0130.JPG Now its really getting interesting! You'd think there was a hot dog in there.

DSCN0137.JPG And Gold, just like the man Promised. The GMT and I failed to sniff anything out but it was fun trying. Back to 2c's pad where I gathered my stuff, said my goodbyes to all and I headed back into the other mountains where I made camp in the dark. I woke early, got up later as the rumble of the lumber trucks just would not stop. They were taking logs out of the upper burn area and were hard at it before the weather closes in for the winter. DSCN0139.JPG Camp was comfy, the two man tent a luxury with tons of room for one but alas the serenity was marred by the trucks so around 1:30 PM on Thursday I packed it in and headed back to the city via a traffic jam before, during and after Sacramento.

I am glad I got out, it was good to meet 2c and the dogs, the hiking was good as always and the scenery marvelous. Summers coming!..........................63bkpkr

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SpaceJunk

Jun 29, 2013
San Jose
Detector(s) used
gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I sifted through the items in my pack to take only what was needed while my SPOT messenger (orange thing on the hood) sent out a message that I was OK.

I read your post mentioning a "SPOT messenger" and did a quick Google search for it. I had no idea that such a thing existed and it turned out to be perfect timing as I am planing on doing a bit of prospecting by myself between Christmas and New Year's Eve. My woman was extremely unhappy with me that I am going out by myself and prolly would be out of cell range. I got a SPOT last week and signed up for the service. Pretty impressive unit, it even repeatedly connected while inside the house and I received the messages after only about ten minutes! A bit pricey but it got me out of the dog house with my wife and gave her some piece of mind about me going out on my own and that was well worth the price I paid for it!

Thank You!

Last edited:
OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be Safe

Space Junk,

The SPOT messenger is a pricy purchase along with the yearly service costs however, it is worth it for the peace of mind for others and IF it is really needed then it pays for itself the first time it is used. My first 911 call proved to me that it was money well spent as a life saving "insurance policy". I may have made it out on my own without the help of the helicopter and ground based teams that came in for me but then again it is only speculation on my part that I "may have" made it out on my own as I was pretty weak by the second day.

I suggest the following:

Keep it with you at all times, I use a solid belt pouch that gives it 100% protection coverage and the belt clip will NOT slip off of the belt!

Keep yourself in very good to top physical condition as depending on weather conditions even top condition may not get you out.

Going out at this time of year is a thrill as one can work really hard and barely sweat. Sweating at this time of year is a SIN! Wet clothes will rob a person of critical body heat even if you are just in the shade and the sun is up. The weather in NorCal for the end of November is unusually mild with cold to very cold nights however, the weather for this time of the year can be unpredictable and in only a few hours a storm can appear. Depending on where you are going and with what vehicle I would recommend carrying tire chains, extra food water blankets and the like in the vehicle. Be very careful as this time of year is not necessarily your enemy or friend, it is what you choose to do that can put you at jeopardy.

Have a great time and a wonderful Thanksgiving!..............................63bkpkr

Last edited:

SpaceJunk

Jun 29, 2013
San Jose
Detector(s) used
gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Space Junk,

The SPOT messenger is a pricy purchase along with the yearly service costs however, it is worth it for the peace of mind for others and IF it is really needed then it pays for itself the first time it is used. My first 911 call proved to me that it was money well spent as a life saving "insurance policy". I may have made it out on my own without the help of the helicopter and ground based teams that came in for me but then again it is only speculation on my part that I "may have" made it out on my own as I was pretty weak by the second day.

I suggest the following:

Keep it with you at all times, I use a solid belt pouch that gives it 100% protection coverage and the belt clip will NOT slip off of the belt!

Keep yourself in very good to top physical condition as depending on weather conditions even top condition may not get you out.

Going out at this time of year is a thrill as one can work really hard and barely sweat. Sweating at this time of year is a SIN! Wet clothes will rob a person of critical body heat even if you are just in the shade and the sun is up. The weather in NorCal for the end of November is unusually mild with cold to very cold nights however, the weather for this time of the year can be unpredictable and in only a few hours a storm can appear. Depending on where you are going and with what vehicle I would recommend carrying tire chains, extra food water blankets and the like in the vehicle. Be very careful as this time of year is not necessarily your enemy or friend, it is what you choose to do that can put you at jeopardy.

Have a great time and a wonderful Thanksgiving!..............................63bkpkr

Yep the weather in the Sierras seems to defy all reasoning. This September I went prospecting above the Feather River and the weather in most of the state was nice and warm. That night it rained like crazy and snowed only about 500 feet above me! I always knew the Sierras make their own weather and so I was over prepared and it payed off that occasion.

This trip I will be below 2000' so I will assume no snow. I will be sleeping under the stars in the back of my pickup, I have a -30 bag and a Gore-Tex bivy and will also bring my tent for over kill. I will be no more then a quarter mile away from my truck at any time. I will be primarily learning my new metal detector but I will also be doing some sample panning and if I find anything at all I will be classifying some buckets to bring home with me. I installed seat heaters in the truck so if I am too sweaty from digging I can jump in until I warm back up.

Thanks for all the great tips, glad you had the SPOT with you and hope you have a great Thanksgiving!

OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Space Junk,
You have some good equipment so if the trip goes south on you your gear will keep you alive! Assuming you will be in amongst trees of various kinds and even if you are in the back of your truck, look up at the trees around you. Are there any dead or broken branches up there? Are there any dead trees? The direction the wind blows towards is the likely direction pine cones, limbs and dead trees will take as they hurtle to the ground.

The weather conditions all over are crazy so consider marking your trail in so it is easy to find on the way out. Pull the flags on the last trip out, if you want to.

Flash light batteries run best when they are warm. In cold and or rainy conditions a set of new batteries of any type could last only 45 minutes.

Any type of burned fuel heating unit used in the back of a covered pickup will use up oxygen unless the bed/cover is ventilated.

Excuse me please for all the cautions that you likely already know but I've 'played' in winter conditions and have gotten away with some iffy choices with minimum negative happenings. Winter is a different animal from summer conditions as it is easy to stay warm in summer, not so in winter. A wet cold rain without some sort of waterproof rain cover is very unkind to a person. Even the cover is not much of a friend as it traps your body heat and moisture in so that when one stops exerting themselves one gets cold quickly. Stripping off wet clothes in the safety of a tent or your truck will make you warmer even without toweling the sweat from your skin. Yeah, I've been there.

Again, have a great trip. Every so often look up at the sky to see what is above you, like clouds...........................63bkpkr

Looking back at the progression of this thread I see I've repeated myself on several items. I can only say that what I've repeated are very important items and are worth re-reading.

Winter and spring are dangerous times of year as the elements are not in our favor. However, a good Roaring Camp Fire in the wet of winter is easy to start without fear of burning the forest down and it is the high point of a trip! Clue, use the tips with needles of pine branches as they still hold quite a bit of sap, just shake the water off and let your fuel tablet do the rest of the drying and then keep stacking the wood on as even Very wet wood will dry with a good base fire driveing off the water. Been there, done that.

Last edited:

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
63 i envy you being able to get out and go! time has taken its toll on my ole bod! BUT im going to give it h*** next summer, cause it may be my last dredgeing season!

OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi There russau,
Well I have been blessed with a body that tends to recover from two knee surgeries on the left leg, a broken left leg, a broken finger, concussion, various cuts, scrapes and bruises, sun burn on a raft trip to the point of blisters and the like and now the shoulder is starting to heal. Also, I still have the desire to be "out there" and it is strong in me! Being out there for so many years has given me some knowledge that I try to remember, some experiences I do not want to repeat (another type of knowledge) and the love for the wild places that drives me to keep going out.

Some of those places are so beautiful/exciting and the adventure getting in and out makes for some very good true recounting of trips, ie - not just stories but real life stuff! Then a good camera helps (I'm enjoying the new Nikon P7700 with the fastest memory card made!), I am hopeful I can find a good place to fish soon, I've plenty of solid camping gear so I really do not need to even go into gear shops to buy anything so I go mostly to look & see as I figure 14 + apple boxes of gear is more than enough though the old pack is getting worn. Well maybe a firearm or two along with finishing a remodel of a little semi auto .22 and some specialized military ammo cans to hold stuff, some up to date motorcycle clothing, fix up the Bronco some and maybe one of these days my son might just get married and have some kids and they would be a hoot to play with so there is still a lot of possibilities out there to come and could keep me busy for another 100 years.

Yeah russau, way too much fun to quit so exercise and get in shape, stay fit as summer is coming!................................63bkpkr

DSCN0072.JPG My current ride

DSCN0065.JPG All of this needs to be mounted on my Mk II Ruger

Last edited:

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Space Junk,
You have some good equipment so if the trip goes south on you your gear will keep you alive! Assuming you will be in amongst trees of various kinds and even if you are in the back of your truck, look up at the trees around you. Are there any dead or broken branches up there? Are there any dead trees? The direction the wind blows towards is the likely direction pine cones, limbs and dead trees will take as they hurtle to the ground.

The weather conditions all over are crazy so consider marking your trail in so it is easy to find on the way out. Pull the flags on the last trip out, if you want to.

Flash light batteries run best when they are warm. In cold and or rainy conditions a set of new batteries of any type could last only 45 minutes.

Any type of burned fuel heating unit used in the back of a covered pickup will use up oxygen unless the bed/cover is ventilated.

Excuse me please for all the cautions that you likely already know but I've 'played' in winter conditions and have gotten away with some iffy choices with minimum negative happenings. Winter is a different animal from summer conditions as it is easy to stay warm in summer, not so in winter. A wet cold rain without some sort of waterproof rain cover is very unkind to a person. Even the cover is not much of a friend as it traps your body heat and moisture in so that when one stops exerting themselves one gets cold quickly. Stripping off wet clothes in the safety of a tent or your truck will make you warmer even without toweling the sweat from your skin. Yeah, I've been there.

Again, have a great trip. Every so often look up at the sky to see what is above you, like clouds...........................63bkpkr

Looking back at the progression of this thread I see I've repeated myself on several items. I can only say that what I've repeated are very important items and are worth re-reading.

Winter and spring are dangerous times of year as the elements are not in our favor. However, a good Roaring Camp Fire in the wet of winter is easy to start without fear of burning the forest down and it is the high point of a trip! Clue, use the tips with needles of pine branches as they still hold quite a bit of sap, just shake the water off and let your fuel tablet do the rest of the drying and then keep stacking the wood on as even Very wet wood will dry with a good base fire driveing off the water. Been there, done that.

"if you are in back of your truck, look up at the trees around you... are there any dead trees?..."

Guess who didn't, lol

Scan_Pic0019.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fullpan, that picture says it all about parking where it is safe!!......................63bkpkr

But then again, some folks Might pay good money for a modification like that, sort of sporty looking.

Last edited:
OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder what your first words were when you saw the condition of your truck?!..........................63bkpkr

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:censored: would be mine. Never had one hit my truck but went to work on a creek and where I stashed my dredge everynight the HUGE tree just fell over about 15 minutes after I moved the dredge and started to work. REALLY makes ya stop and think--here alone as usual and what ifn' ....hahahaha oh well I woulda went with my dredge boots on and NO better way to go than doing what I coveth the most...great pic a that truck too...John

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
John, I fully agree with you, only 2 ways I want to die, one is between the sheets with my wife or running my suction nozzle!

63, hope you enjoyed yourself there, nice pics btw.

Last edited:

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder what your first words were when you saw the condition of your truck?!..........................63bkpkr

HaHa - can't repeat those first words but, strange as it may sound, by that time I had decided to let nothing stop me from mining. It turned out I had to
hitchhike 20-some miles to town for a couple weeks, then a good Samaritan, in the form of a park ranger, traded another old truck to me as he wanted my engine - even hauled my truck off for me. Back to normal in a month.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread