New to Gold Prospecting any Advise or tips are welcome

rainwolf75

Nov 9, 2013
NW Georgia
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello everyone,
I am new to gold prospecting and do not have anything yet but I have been wanting to do it for many years and decided to take the plunge before the end of the year. I do have many questions but the main one is the fact that I live in Georgia and I want to go about it legally and if someone can tell me where to go to read the laws on gold prospecting in Georgia that I can read up on that would be great. Also I do not have anything as of yet but would like to start on a tight budget (my starting budget is $15-$20) and was wondering what I can purchase for that and I have no problem on making some of my own stuff, after all I am all for DIY because it brings a since of pride when you make something your self with little or no money. Below you will see a list of things that I already have acquired or have saved up and was wondering if you all could help me (or point me in the right direction) on figuring out how to use this stuff or turn it into stuff that I can use to prospect for gold.

• (1) 2 GAL bucket (in process to acquire more if needed)
  • (1) 3 1/2 GAL bucket (in process to acquire more if needed)
  • Empty medicine bottles (one with the snap on lid - nothing leaks in or out)
  • Empty eye dropper bottles
  • Small gardening trowel
  • Window Screening

Thank you for taking the time to read my newbie post.

Upvote 0

mcordell

Nov 2, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Welcome wolf! The most important thing is to do it right, not expensive stuff. Clean out the cracks properly, classify your material properly and take your time to pan properly. Sometimes I just swish sand in my pan endlessly to watch the material float around and work on my wrist motion. Put a BB in there to practice and it should stay, if it pans out, try again. Great luck to ya!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
First off.... WELCOME to the forum and the wonderful world of Gold Prospecting!

Secondly... What Terry Said! Join a club! The majority of clubs welcome newbie members and make a point of teaching them the right way from the get go so they don't develop bad habits that they end up having to break.

There is nothing wrong with making your own equipment but don't try to re-invent the wheel while doing it. Simple things like Pans are cheap to buy and not that easy to make in the first place. A pan is one of, if not the most important piece of equipment you need. Everything from sampling to finish panning is done with them. Simple items like classifier screens in different mesh sizes are easy to make and handy to have. A lot of people don't understand how much having different size screens can help in recovery of gold. The largest screen size you will need is about half again the size of the largest gold you expect to find in your area.

Start scrounging as many buckets as you can. They're a miners best friend! Hauling materials, water etc as well as handy seats when flipped over!

EDIT: You've got some good areas in N.Georgia. Check out the Georgia forum for more info on what is in your area. I just moved from the Warner Robins area last year and I have to say I DON'T MISS THE HUMIDITY AT ALL!!!! :laughing7:

Last edited:

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome rainwolf. I agree with Terry and the Irishman makes some good points also. Mainly you need a pan. Everything starts and finishes with the pan. Evan the largest gold mining company starts with the pan. Next make or buy classifiers 1/2", 1/4", and 1/8" to start. As you learn and gain knowledge you will find out why you will want smaller sizes but these will do to start. There are places that you can find online that show how to make some very cheep but effective classifiers. You will want a good shovel like a #2 or maybe a little smaller but at least a round tipped one. The garden trowel is good as would be a screwdriver (flat) for crevicing. Five gallon buckets are better but any bucket is good. Just build your classifiers to fit what ever bucket you are using. A sluice box (Astrobouncer here in this forum has some great plans for homemade boxes) as a matter of fact he is from that part of the country and has some very good videos posted in here. I suggest you get ahold of him and watch his videos. Informative and entertaining. Your bottles are good choice. I would buy a snuffer bottle to pick the gold out of the pan. Also watch as many videos as you can and read as much as you can. Joining this forum was a step in the right direction. Hope this all helps. Ask all the questions you want, someone in here will always be willing to help.

Good Luck!

BH Prospector

OP
OP
R

rainwolf75

Nov 9, 2013
NW Georgia
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank you all for your GREAT advice and tips it is greatly appreciated and definitely noted again thank you so much.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
As to buckets, avoid the ones from Lowes, Home Depot and the like. Thin plastic WILL fail you. Instead get used food service buckets...ask at your favorite restaurants, donut shops, etc. They will say 090 on the bottom ...nice and thick and durable :)

OP
OP
R

rainwolf75

Nov 9, 2013
NW Georgia
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
As to buckets, avoid the ones from Lowes, Home Depot and the like. Thin plastic WILL fail you. Instead get used food service buckets...ask at your favorite restaurants, donut shops, etc. They will say 090 on the bottom ...nice and thick and durable :)

It is funny that you mentioned this, because I have been getting mine at the bakery section at local grocery stores for a while, they also make for good planters if you are tight on space as well.

But thanks for the tip. I have not thought about restaurants or doughnut shops but a great idea. Also, great tip on looking for the "090" on the bottom, did not know about that and is now filed in my memory bank. Again great tip! :icon_thumleft:

Last edited:

oldmillman

Greenie
Jul 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,buy some sleep aid meds for the many sleepless nites your gonna have after you find you first piece of gold!good luck to ya

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other

LOL Well there goes my Home Depot stock down the tubes! Don't you know that's the only item they make a profit on from repeat customers?!?!?!?

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Funny you'd mention that, I've been thinking about buying some. Home Depot and Lowes stock...hmmm.

Also, the bakery ones are great. Just be sure to wash them with dish detergent to remove any grease...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions