chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey There chlsbrns,
Interesting hobby you've started for yourself. The practice you are getting now could just give you more than the smile and the giggle your are getting from your efforts at the moment. Who knows what this pastime might bring to you in the future in the form of turning your dust into objects of art.

Did you just have the oven around and what would they cost new?? Thanks much...............63bkpkr

You can get a furnace on ebay for about $400 but really don't need it. A Mapp or acetylene gas torch and a crucible will do just fine. Either otrch can be bought for less than $50.

I just made this from an 1883 Hobo V Nickel. I haven't cleaned it up yet and messed up breaking off the excess gold. I'll probably melt it and do it again. The pic sucks too!

Attachments

• nickel.png
    nickel.png
    169.2 KB · Views: 165
  • hobo-nickel-v.png
    hobo-nickel-v.png
    160.6 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:

bedrock bubba

Jun 27, 2010
I cast the Madusa. The pics suck! The coin looks much better than the pic.

I'm going to try some roman coins. I'm going to run out of gold fines but I have some jewelry I can melt.

Is that the old Roman version of Nancy Pelosi?

Pretty scary, man!

recondigger

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2012
Western New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
garrett at4 beach hunter, bounty hunter,CZ-5,CZ-7, Minelab EXP SE, Garrett ACE-150, E-Trac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could use a hand held MAPP gas torch or a small acetylene gas torch to melt, a hammer to flatten and then use your imagination to hammer some sort of design using chisels & other tools.

I tried MAPP but is there a torch nozzle that works better because after trying and even using fire brick built around it I couldn't get it hot enough. I have the sand and small crucible but no luck with getting hot enough.

Dig until your arm falls off

OP
OP
chlsbrns

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
I tried MAPP but is there a torch nozzle that works better because after trying and even using fire brick built around it I couldn't get it hot enough. I have the sand and small crucible but no luck with getting hot enough.

Dig until your arm falls off

I've used a MAPP torch but it had a swirl tip or something like that? Any MAPP should work. It just takes time.

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:
OP
OP
chlsbrns

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi Reed. I just got some doubloons from that company. I got 6 of the Individual Gold and Silver Escudo Doubloon Replicas. 2 of each size. Not one of them looks like the pic they show! They look so bad that I doubt that I would cast them.

The Disney coin looks good though!

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a dear old friend that actually bought dies for huge Indian head Nickle type coins on E-Bay,and he has cast about 20 oz worth...easier to keep he says...LOL. I have melted fines and poured it over rock salt as well.It looks pretty neat

GrizzlyGremlin

Nov 17, 2012
I like this! Personally i think the nugget is much more boring than the other pendants and i bet sone would fetch as much as a nugget anyway! Really cool man. I got a few requests. First cast a bullet. Maybe a 243 or other dramatically necked down cartridge like the WSM line. Other thing. How about natural shapes? closed pine cone, holly leaf, made into earings! Bleached mink skull or a small femur bone.
I bet most of the natural stuff is too irregularly shaped. Possibilities are endless.
I smell a new Forum called Melting/smelting lol. I guess a ring for my GF would be a cinch! Good to know!

geturdug

Dec 17, 2013
foothills nc
Detector(s) used
v3i coinmaster 6000/d series 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have not tried this but I was told by an old prospector if you want to make some nuggets you drop your melted gold in water.He had onces of gold shaped like a tea spoon which he said a tea spoon of gold will be an ounce.Like i said never tried it just what i was told.

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hard to believe that the clay will hold that detail.

triple d

Nov 17, 2013
Central N.H
Detector(s) used
36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, And related gold prospecting equipment
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great idea. Supper cool.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have not tried this but I was told by an old prospector if you want to make some nuggets you drop your melted gold in water.He had onces of gold shaped like a tea spoon which he said a tea spoon of gold will be an ounce.Like i said never tried it just what i was told.
what you make that way is not a nugget, it is jewelry...or just a cool doodad. That said, I bet it would spit up some HOT steam and be quite dramatic!

Edit: removed my scolding sentence since that was said above and I'm not here to browbeat people about fraud n stuff.

Last edited:
OP
OP
chlsbrns

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
what you make that way is NOT a nugget, it is jewelry. It would be fraud to represent that as a nugget.

Pouring melted gold in water will not look like jewelry or a nugget. Try it!

kabah088

Jun 19, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Screw the haters!

This is cool and I like what you did with the cast gold coins.

How many grams of gold fines did you use for the medusa and Athens coin?

OP
OP
chlsbrns

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
The Athena weighs 20.71 grams. The Medusa weighs 11.83 grams. Both are about 1" in diameter. The Athena is thicker.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions