chlsbrns

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Two oz 999 silver. The pic sucks! It hasnt been cleaned up yet but It looks so much better in person.

Attachments

• 1438211128576.jpg
    1438211128576.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 109
OP
OP
chlsbrns

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
It is a skull nugget bar.

This is the same casting except cleaned up and 2oz of gold!

Attachments

• goldskullbars.png
    goldskullbars.png
    153.8 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
OP
OP
chlsbrns

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
10oz gold Atocha Bar cast from a replica.

Attachments

• 1438288820587.jpg
    1438288820587.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 110

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Awesome casts, that's a great way to make use of your gold.

If you want to make a replica nugget you could always try taking an impression of a chunk of lava rock.
After it is cast, if it looks too rough then you can roll it around a little bit to help smooth it out.
I would totally put my initials on it, maybe someday if you don't melt it back down it will confuse someone into madness trying to research your initials and the mysterious gold nugget. :D

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You have done some very nice work and they are quite interesting. However, i agree with hoser and Russ. It's not a nugget, those are naturally occurring and fetch a higher price because if their rarity. Same is true with antique coins.
You have made a casting or replica and they are only worth their weight. If you ever sell these pieces they will pollute the market.

OP
OP
chlsbrns

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Nugget | Define Nugget at Dictionary.com

There are literally hundreds of gold "nuggets" listed on ebay daily. Roughly one nugget in fifty is an " authentic" nugget. All are below 24k some look like 14k, all sell above spot.

I use to sell stuff on ebay (not nuggets). I may start casting gold/silver (not nuggets) as a service for those with gold fines and or rings/jewelry found metal detecting.

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Quote chlsbrns "I may start casting gold/silver (not nuggets) as a service for those with gold fines and or rings/jewelry found metal detecting."
Spot on Ladies ! Now now now. I send you all my gold junk jewelry and you will melt it down and cast if for me? That is just awesome! How much would you charge me for this service and how can you guarantee I will get it returned to me? I have a few ounces of rings in silver and gold ranging from 10 k on up.
Do you have different casting to choose from?

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It is a skull nugget bar.

This is the same casting except cleaned up and 2oz of gold!

I just gotta ask...

Gold is nearly twice the density of silver. If the same cast in silver weighs two ounces wouldn't this "same casting" in gold actually weigh 3.68 ounces?

Silver Specific Gravity = 10.5
Gold Specific Gravity = 19.3

Wouldn't the same 2 ounces of gold only fill your silver "same casting" mould a little more than halfway? ???

Heavy Pans

Last edited:

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
Because selling fake nuggets is big business and hurts honest miners.

Some people instead of getting spot for their fines will make a fake nugget and get 20%+ more for it.

Its called progress.
I think he deserves a premium for his artwork.
If you are concerned for the buyers, it serves them right for not spending an afternoon figuring out how to tell purposely fabricated nuggets from naturally formed ones.

Last edited:

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
You guys have done a great job saying this stuff. I have a couple questions.
What would be the cheapest and best way to melt down my small gold? I don't have a lot and can't justify buying a expensive furnace. I have 2 grams of small raw gold I want to make into something cool. And I promise I WILL NOT MAKE a FAKE nugget to sell in eBay.

Dig until your arm falls off

LOL, better for the sellers of the dozens of other fake nuggets on Ebay.....

OP
OP
chlsbrns

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Quote chlsbrns "I may start casting gold/silver (not nuggets) as a service for those with gold fines and or rings/jewelry found metal detecting."
Spot on Ladies ! Now now now. I send you all my gold junk jewelry and you will melt it down and cast if for me? That is just awesome! How much would you charge me for this service and how can you guarantee I will get it returned to me? I have a few ounces of rings in silver and gold ranging from 10 k on up.
Do you have different casting to choose from?

Yes you could send me your junk jewelry for me to cast.

I havent thought about what to charge or how to charge or if I will even cast for others. If I do decide to cast for others It would be easy to talk me into casting for an amount of gold instead of cash.

If I was to cast for others and did not return your casting Im sure that you would post that I ripped you off and then no one else would send metals to cast. Thats a pretty good guarantee.

I have a box full of cool things that can be cast.

Last edited:
OP
OP
chlsbrns

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other

Attachments

• 1438409801173.jpg
    1438409801173.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 78
  • 1438409814162.jpg
    1438409814162.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 75
OP
OP
chlsbrns

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
I just gotta ask...

Gold is nearly twice the density of silver. If the same cast in silver weighs two ounces wouldn't this "same casting" in gold actually weigh 3.68 ounces?

Silver Specific Gravity = 10.5
Gold Specific Gravity = 19.3

Wouldn't the same 2 ounces of gold only fill your silver "same casting" mould a little more than halfway? ???

Heavy Pans

The silver bar is much thicker than the gold bar.

It's a one sided casting meaning an impression is only on one side. It is pushed into clay. The silver bar was pushed deeper into the clay. If I cast something that is two sided such as the medusa the weight is limited to what fits.

Before I go any further... I haven't decided to cast for anyone just yet. If I do I'll do the charter member thing and let you all know.

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes you could send me your junk jewelry for me to cast.

I havent thought about what to charge or how to charge. It would be easy to talk me into casting for an amount of gold instead of cash.

If I was to cast for others and did not return your casting Im sure that you would post that I ripped you off and then no one else would send metals to cast. Thats a pretty good guarantee.

I have a box full of cool things that can be cast.

It's not brain surgery, but what you are doing is not easy either. It definitely requires tool skills and an artistic flair for the moulds.
Nuggets are probably about the easiest and most worthwhile items to fabricate.
I mean, they have universal appeal, and don't require fabricating time consuming "one of a kind" molds.
It sure beats 18 hour days in Arizona 120 degree heat, and or the Mexican or Australian outback.

In fact, you might even possibly be able to patent a particular style or brand.

I guess others could then copy your original style fabricated nuggets, (Imitated imitations) but imitation is the purest form of flattery, but I digress......

Last edited:

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions