Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree80Likes

Thread: South Carolina Gold Prospecting

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Doug

Jun 2013
    Marietta,S.C.
    Garrett
    46 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Knowing you Phil, yeah I can only imagine this tale !

us
    Doug

Jun 2013
    Marietta,S.C.
    Garrett
    46 times
    Quote Originally Posted by goldhunter1992 View Post
    I'm in the Spartanburg area. Any good ideas on where to prospect? I'm new and have found about 10 flakes and 4 pieces that are alot bigger than flakes but smaller than pickers. I just started about a month ago. I was wondering if I should keep trying the creek where I've been or if anyone else had any places locally that would be better.
    Goldhunter
    If you've found some decent gold at the creek you're at , keep at it. I know there's some good spots in Spartanburg county but just saying Spartanburg covers a lot of area. Message me and I can give you one good place I know of.

us
    Doug

Jun 2013
    Marietta,S.C.
    Garrett
    46 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jwkauffman View Post
    I live south of Mauldin and enjoy all types of prospecting and treasure hunting. Would love to find some partners to go with. P.S. I am still a beginner and always trying to learn something new.
    JW , there's not many of us from the upstate on TNet it seems. We all need to get together sometime soon and pool our resources.

us
    Djpitr

Oct 2012
    S.C.
    Gold bug 2
    147 times
    Prospecting
    Count me in too , i live in Greenville and like to meet some local prospectors , it get lonely sometimes , i usually prospect around Mccormick , Abbeville , and like to move up this summer more up around Oconee county .

This is from my last time out
    ----------------------------------------- ------------------------------------
    If you want something you’ve never had, you must do something you’ve never done.
    The eighth wonder of the world is compound interest. - Albert Einstein

us
    Doug

Jun 2013
    Marietta,S.C.
    Garrett
    46 times
    Nice video ! We definitely need to dig and find some colors .

us
    Jan 2013
    laurens south carolina
    white dfx
    16 times
    Prospecting
    am down on lake greenwood am always looking for some one to go with may buddy drives a truck and we go when hes off I bought a popup camper so I can have a good places to sleep last year we slept in a 2 man tent. am to old for that am buying a 2inch dredge are a 2.5 in a couple months just got figure out which way to go. any way anyone want get together am free most ever day. give me a holler

us
    Djpitr

Oct 2012
    S.C.
    Gold bug 2
    147 times
    Prospecting
    Did you prospect rabon creek in laurens ? I tryed some small creeks around greenwood and found very little , haveing troble with very deep sand there should be gold there bud its 3-4 feet liquid sand everywhere .
    If you want something you’ve never had, you must do something you’ve never done.

us
    Doug

Jun 2013
    Marietta,S.C.
    Garrett
    46 times
    I lived in greenwood on the lake near the shrine club for a few years . Never found anything but river rats ;-)

us
    Doug

Jun 2013
    Marietta,S.C.
    Garrett
    46 times
    Carnet, a 2.5 would do you good any where you wanna dredge. Only thing I'd think about was if you need to use a suction nozzle or have a power jet. That depends on if you dredge in shallows or deep water. Shallow I'd do a suction nozzle.
    Deeper use the power jet. That's the way to go.

us
    Jan 2013
    laurens south carolina
    white dfx
    16 times
    Prospecting
    I was messing around the reed river a while back found some gold on it I heard they was a gold mine on the rabon back when, but have not panned in it yet finding place to pan is the key . yes am still looking at dredges I wish gold hog had one they do for there high bankers but I want one that floats

us
    Feb 2013
    Upcountry, SC
    Teknetics Delta 4000, Garrett AT Pro, Falcon MD20
    35 times
    Hello fellow prospectors, greenville here. I've been prospecting around the upstate for about a year now with moderate success. The key is gaining access to private land where gold used to be (gold mine, etc), but what I still like to do is what I call P.B.R. prospecting - Park By Road prospecting. You pass a bridge/creek while driving - park by the road and prospect :-) Eitherway, its always nice to meet local people with that same desire to catch that yellow metal.
    uscphil likes this.

us
    Jun 2009
    304 times
    Look guys I have refrained from posting in this thread till now but I cannot any longer as its getting out of hand.

I highly advise anyone not to do any PBL prospecting thats a good way to get shot or locked up for trespassing. In fact, several of the places I prospect if they see anyone but me there the land owners will call the cops and prosecute. I had a buddy who used to do that and his truck got shot up while he was in it (he was driving away and they shot at him). He was lucky he wasnt killed over 25 cents in gold. And yet another buddy got locked up that way for trespassing.

There is plenty of good gold at the pay to play locations, not to mention prospecting clubs like the GPOC, GPAA, LDMA, and WEGM that have good (and some great) properties to work. I lost access to a killer spot last year because of trespasser's who made the land owner so madd he posted the land and now no one is welcome there when before he would let me play in the creek anytime. And thats just one good spot, there are many more places that have been open my whole life that are now posted because of trespassers. I have never seen so many no trespassing signs as in the last couple years and more are going up everyday.

You got to understand a lot of the land here has been in families possession for generations. Great great grandfathers started homesteads and that land has been passed down through the family. Do you think those people want strangers coming on their land? If you stop in and talk to people I have found they are far more agreeable to letting you play in the river. But just trespassing without asking is a huge no no. Every bit of land is owned by someone. And its not legal to prospect in the wma areas, nor the state parks and even National forests are very limited as to what you can do.

I have already posted on the best way to get access to spots, and thats through friends, family friends, distant family, employees, co workers, old school friends, etc. If you have none of that then you can do the knock and ask but dont trespass, it gives us all a bad name and just closes off the land owner from letting future prospectors in. It has taken me over 5 years to get the access I have. And i got turned down a lot but I kept with it. I would love to let more people come and play in some of the areas I go to, but the land owners wont let me bring in anymore. Most of the time me even bringing a close friend is pushing it. And I dont blame them because its their homes. And many people fear that if people think there is gold in their land it will start a gold rush and they will be constantly fending off trespassers.

You cannot have any public spots around here because as soon as the word gets out, it will be worked constantly till there is nothing left for the person who posted about the spot. For every one person reading this post and responding there are probably one hundred more just lurking looking for spots to work. They will clean you out bank to bank and leave tailings piles where you were working. It has happened to me in the past and why I am so quiet about posting locations. Anyone that's been prospecting any amount of time knows this.

So dont trespass, get land owner permission, and don't post counties or even the state where you are working if you want to keep your gold spot. Otherwise, someone will find it and you will have nothing.
    DizzyDigger and Floristweb like this.
    Sample till you find the hot spot, then mine it till its gone! Then start over...

us
    Doug

Jun 2013
    Marietta,S.C.
    Garrett
    46 times
    Astro, I'm sorry you felt that this thread had gotten out of hand . Frankly I see nothing wrong with people talking and sharing some general information . I don't know why you felt you had to jump in this thread and try to chastise these guys. If you felt that strongly about it why not say something in a private message to each one rather than in the public forum . Maybe i just took what you said the wrong way and if that's the case I apologize . I don't think any one here has posted specific areas or given away any detailed information nor suggested anyone trespass on private land. One person posted about PBR's a day or so ago which is something I don't agree with but is perfectly legal on state roads only . I understand and I think most people with any common sense do also, that you don't trespass on other peoples property. If they don't respect the property owners I guess they need to get the cops called on them just as your friends had happen to them. The people that trespass like you mentioned are going to do that regardless of what anyone says. There's a word for that kind of person too. It's thief. Plain and simple .
    I've been doing this a long time myself and have researched and called and knocked on a lot of doors too. If no one offers to teach these guys they'll do it the hard way and learn the hard way. Some of these guys have been posting for months and no one has even offered a word of advice to them. They're new to it all and have the fever just like you and I did when we first started. I personally have been trying my best to get a piece of land I know about to lease just so the local guys can have a safe and legal place to prospect and find a little something to put in their gold vials. It may not be a perfect plan right now but at least I'm trying to do something positive. Maybe you'd even like to help out and make it happen. It ain't Thermal City but at least it would be local . Who knows, it might just turn into something good. Now wouldn't that be cool for a YouTube video !
    Doug
    sluicelee likes this.

us
    Djpitr

Oct 2012
    S.C.
    Gold bug 2
    147 times
    Prospecting
    I like your reply Doug .... I hade feeling after reading Astros poust , like he dont like the idea that there is more prospectors around ... And to go place where you pay to pan , its ok bud thats not prospecting . I myself go to national forest parks and yes i have permits and cannot use a sluice ,and places i was allowed go, bud at lease it feels to me like real prospecting .
    Last edited by djpitr; Dec 31, 2013 at 02:02 PM.
    uscphil and sluicelee like this.

us
    Doug

Jun 2013
    Marietta,S.C.
    Garrett
    46 times
    I call them like I see them. Some people may not like what I say but at least you know I'm being honest even if it pisses someone else off.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links