Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree80Likes

Thread: South Carolina Gold Prospecting

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Doug

Jun 2013
    Marietta,S.C.
    Garrett
    46 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I've lived in Greenville County all my life with the exception of a few years in California and a couple of years in Atlanta. My family has owned land here since 1760 and we still do . I know what Astro meant about people trespassing. It makes a landowner mad when someone comes onto your land without invitation.
    So, to all you guys, make sure you have permission before venturing out to a creek. It's not that hard. I got permission from several adjoining landowners this week end totaling more than 300 acres. I guess it's my southern drawl ;-)
    Floristweb likes this.

us
    Sep 2013
    Salem, SC
    5 times
    Prospecting
    Nice gold Dj!

us
    Doug

Jun 2013
    Marietta,S.C.
    Garrett
    46 times
    I'm waiting to hear that story Phil !

us
    Feb 2013
    Upcountry, SC
    Teknetics Delta 4000, Garrett AT Pro, Falcon MD20
    35 times
    Yowzers, my first ever post and astrobouncer is mad at me. I guess I should of went into more detail. First off, no one should ever sneak on someone’s property for any reason. We should respect the owner’s property and treat it as such. Secondly, astrobouncer makes great points, he’s been doing this longer then me and knows his stuff. I really respect him as a propector – I build most of my prospecting gear and modify the rest in some way to suit my needs and learned a lot from his videos/post when I first started prospecting. But I’m just trying to be helpful, I know first hand how hard it can be to find land to prospect, but I tried to say people should “gain access” to private land and the only way I know to gain access is asking permission from the landowner. As far as Park By Road prospecting, I don’t mean park anywhere you like and prospect any creek, but when I started out I didn’t have access to a creek and had to go out and find a place to prospect. I started thinking of where I could go and remembered areas where people would park by the road near a bridge/creek and get out and fish or whatever. I started thinking maybe I could go there, dig behind a rock and do a little panning. So I done that at a couple places and I starting meeting a few people, even meet a couple of guys who done some prospecting. The very first place I prospected outside of some fishing hole by the road was someone I met at one of those spots who allowed me to come over and prospect his creek. All this helped build up my confidence so I could go out, talk to people in areas I wanted to prospect and get permission to prospect their land. Its tough at first, but any real prospector has to get outdoors and start prospecting :-) I know theres pay to play sites, thermal city rocks and recommend it to anyone, but it just doesn’t have the same feel as prospecting new land and finding fresh gold. So if you see a creek by the road you want to prospect, talk to someone, get permission and most importantly be safe. Happy New Years and may there be much gold for every South Carolina prospector in 2014.

us
    Author of a book about finding gold in Colorado

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with Banker on top, Bazooka Goldtrap sluices, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
    10445 times
    Prospecting
    In most states including S Carolina, the county assessors have online maps that show ownership, boundaries, etc. even contact info for the owners. For SC, start here: http://scassessors.com and choose your county. How easy is that?! I use this a lot in CO to confirm creek ownership before I got romping around...and I print off what I find to carry with me because sometimes people think they own stuff that is actually owned by the county, a parks district, etc.
    Foothills Gold and Bandit2 like this.

us
    Dec 2013
    2 times
    Definitely like Doug's plan about getting a piece of land for all the locals!

us
    Doug

Jun 2013
    Marietta,S.C.
    Garrett
    46 times
    Every county that I know of local has global imaging maps on their property sites. The ones for Greenville county are at Greenvillecounty.org
    Look under services , then real estate. You can trace most of the original owners and see if it's an old family place or not. It even has the creeks outlined in blue ! Great information Kevin.
    Sluicee, thanks for clarifying . I'm sure everyone feels better now ;-)

May 2012
    16 times
    I read Astro's post and don't see how he "chastised" anyone or stated anything that should make someone think he is angry with them. He simply stated his concern about the misinformation on this thread related to "perfectly legal on state roads only" and the PBR comment. Bridges are not public access points to trespass creeks or land. In most cases, the "state" and utilities companies does not own the land/creek at a bridge but has an arrangement with the land owner for an easement only. If you jump in and start digging without permission, you are trespassing. I never hesitate to prosecute "PBR" activity on my land. I heard the local magistrate tell such a person that "If you are not paying the property taxes on the land or creek you are on, consider yourself trespassing." Property owners in SC usually own to the middle of a creek as that is often the boundary between parcels. If the owner owns the land on both sides of the creek, he essentially owns the creek and certainly half of it. Same goes for SC Navigable Rivers as designated by SC DHEC. Many rivers in the SC upstate are owned to the middle. You may kayak, canoe or boat by without any problem. When you stop and put a shovel in that river, you are probably digging on another's property and subject to prosecution. I understand the frustration in gaining access. I have been prospecting since 1972. I spent what seems like a lifetime gaining access to various properties. Many of those are no longer available to me as hunt clubs have taken over large tracts of land. Many of the old folks who let me prospect are passing away and new owners or family members no longer allow me access. Trespassing hunters and prospectors are quickly closing others for me too. I hear, " You were always welcome but since all the gold shows on TV, now things are getting out of hand. I just won't allow anyone on my property anymore. I am sorry. It is not your fault." Not my fault does not make me feel any better especially if I have worked that creek for 30+ years. GIS information lists property owners names and addresses. Do the research, ask for and obtain permission but don't trespass. I have known Astro for years. He shares his sluice building and prospecting experiences with others and always goes out of his way to help newbies. I have seen him give up hours of his prospecting time and use of his equipment to teach others. I can't think of a single negative thing to say about him nor have I ever heard anyone who knows him say anything negative about him. I do all kinds of "treasure hunting" including gold, gemstones, minerals, fossils, artifacts, etc. I don't tell the world where I go and post X marks the spot for all to see. If I did, all locations would be closed now or cleaned out. I share my adventures with others via video but only share locations with a few who I have learned to trust, including Astro. It was years before I took him to any location but now he is not only a good but trusted friend. The club or land lease idea on this thread is a good idea and I hope you guys are successful. The LDMA also has good properties to prospect legally. Join or have a friend invite you as a guest. No need to draw battle lines here. We share the same interests and we all know that recreational prospecting is just that. You will rarely ever even pay for lunch on what you find. I hope everyone is successful in 2014 and finds enough color to keep you happy.

us
    Author of a book about finding gold in Colorado

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with Banker on top, Bazooka Goldtrap sluices, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
    10445 times
    Prospecting
    Have to add that the comments about road easements vs. ownership by the county: may be true where you live but not here in CO. As I've said elsewhere, check your county assessor website to confirm ownership.

us
    Sep 2013
    Salem, SC
    5 times
    Prospecting
    You and ASStro sound like 2 unhappy peas in a pod. I see something wrong with Astro's post. First off, he has no "people" skills. You do not start a post on a friendly board like he did. I will not say what I fully think about either of your posts because if I did, I probably would not make a mod too happy.

Sounds like you two are very self centered, selfish humans.. but I may be wrong. If I am, I apologize but Astro had no right speaking down to anyone on here whether he is best prospector this side of the Mississippi! You all that do not want to help and be negative, keep it up but please "refrain" from our posts if you have nothing positive to add.

TY and Happy New Year and will all you prospectors out there, be safe, be happy, and most of all remember that we all started out as newbies and can use positive advice in a positive tone.

Phil

Oh and how bout them Gamecocks!
    Last edited by uscphil; Jan 01, 2014 at 08:49 PM.

us
    Doug

Jun 2013
    Marietta,S.C.
    Garrett
    46 times
    Indy , you're wrong . I know you're Astros friend and all and it seems like you had to put your two cents worth in to validate what was said and I can appreciate that. That's what friends do. I live on the Saluda river and a state road bridge adjoins my property . State right of way goes 40 feet from center line of the bridge , both sides and 40 feet from each end of the bridge.. And it is considered public access . Legally I can't make anyone leave. I've called the cops on rowdy folks partying and have been informed with it being DOT right of way there's nothing I can do. I'm sorry you and Astro have had problems with people causing you to lose some of you private spots.
    You may not have felt he was chastising but several other guys did and didn't want to say anything to the You Tube Video Prospecting Stars. Me, I could give a crap less who you are. If you are wrong, you're wrong. Now I hope I haven't pusses anyone off but if I have we can talk about it. I'm really not hard to get along with. ;-)
    Last edited by Foothills Gold; Jan 01, 2014 at 09:27 PM.

May 2012
    16 times
    uscphil: I thought it was an ugly, nerve wracking win but I'll take it! Go Cocks!

Doug: I didn't realize I am a "You Tube Video Prospecting Star." Half of my videos are not even gold related. Do I get a check? Lol! I will send you a PM this evening after work with info that may help you with the Saluda river thing. Those cops don't have a clue if the easements is 40 feet or not. Each bridge is different according to SCDOT. Hope the contact info will help.

us
    Doug

Jun 2013
    Marietta,S.C.
    Garrett
    46 times
    Dang Indy , you mean they've been sending your check to the wrong address all this time?Seriously , I'll gladly look at the info this evening about the bridges. Thanks in advance for that but this ain't my first rodeo.
    Doug
    Last edited by Foothills Gold; Jan 02, 2014 at 07:07 AM.
    indyme2 likes this.

us
    Sep 2013
    Salem, SC
    5 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by indyme2 View Post
    uscphil: I thought it was an ugly, nerve wracking win but I'll take it! Go Cocks!

Doug: I didn't realize I am a "You Tube Video Prospecting Star." Half of my videos are not even gold related. Do I get a check? Lol! I will send you a PM this evening after work with info that may help you with the Saluda river thing. Those cops don't have a clue if the easements is 40 feet or not. Each bridge is different according to SCDOT. Hope the contact info will help.
    It was an exciting nail biter but it was nice to see Clowney and Shaw go out like they did. SHaw had such a nice game!

Sorry if I came off as blunt in my last post. You too Astro, I am usually not thin skinned like that and never let things bother me, I guess I just felt my buddy was getting a little too much negative feedback and must have been in a bad mood. I learned some things from both of your posts so please ignore my post and post away both of you.
    indyme2 likes this.

May 2012
    16 times
    It's all good, guys. Shaw was awesome. He will be a leader and winner in anything he wants to do. Sending you a PM Doug with contact info that may help. I recently sold my property on the Middle Saluda. No gold there and the trout fishing wasn't good either!

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links