Building gold prospecting equipment

J

Jaxom

I have two projects that I would like to build. The first being an alaskan beach box out of aluminium and the other being a shaker table. The beach box, I have a slight problem with. I want to make the main sluice box 2' (24") wide. I also want to build up the sides taller and make them 6" instead of the height of a 2x4. My biggest obstical I face is building a bending break to make the sides for the sluice. I've googled and come across many many bending break plans, most are rather small and also require equipment I don't have. Example, most of the breaks I've seen require the use of a drill press to make the hinge for the break. I don't have one. And from years of expierence, it's very difficult to get a straight and level hole using a drill free hand. Let alone two of them! Once I get past that issue, I need suggestions on what size to make my screens. Here in Illinios, it's all very fine flour gold. So I'm thinking of using a 1/8th or 1/4th holes in sheet metal for the first classifier and then on the second one using 1/16th, for the top half of the sluice box. In the lower half I haven't decided, wiether I want to go like regular alaskan beach boxes and just have moss over ribbed mat...OR have some short 1/2" riffles in the lower half of the box? Suggestions?

Building a shaker table might be even more difficult. I don't know, I just think because I have such fine gold here it'd be a good idea to atleast attempt to build one. I read a while back in this forum about shaker tables plans. I lost the link when my hard drive died, but it was a bicycle powered unit built for testing in India. I did print that out, but it's not really plans. It show diamentions and all. But not what angles the riffles are, or how I could make it vibrate instead of using hand/peddle power. And Ideas?

thanks
Jax

Upvote 0

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Jaxom go to a sheet metal shop or a metal fabrication shop and pay them to bend your alum. it will be listed in the yellow pages in your town.thats what i did untill i bought a sheetmetal break.

Nitro 54

Mar 12, 2005
Myrtle Creek, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX - W/ DX-1 ,, GMT gold getter
I agree with Russ. The trouble and time to build a brake for a couple of items just isn't worth your effort. A metal shop won't charge much to make a few bends.

eathan

May 19, 2006
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V-SAT, ACE 250, Lobo SuperTRAQ
Jaxom, I think these are the shaker table plans you mentioned.

There was a really good thread on the plans, various mods and field use over at the Alaska Gold Forums, but I didn't see it on casual inspection, so can't link direct. Steppegold was the thread starter, I believe.

Best of luck!

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Jaxom i made my own alum beach box several years ago. i have some pictures of it over at goldminers on yahoogroups and over at another site in Iowa(forgot its addy)anyway i made mine out of a peice of 4 ft x4 ft alum. i bent up 3 inch sides.my header box goes across the width of the sluice and i only use black ribbed rubber mat. this gets real heavy when loaded with material. i use a 1/4 inch punch for my feeder that runs from the header box across to the other side of the sluice. it is on a incline to help move the waste off to the side.at that point i have my highbanker setup to catch all of my off fall to run it again through my highbanker.hope this gave you a few ideas.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[=Jaxom link=. My biggest obstical I face is building a bending break to make the sides for the sluice.
Look under experimental aircraft building. for similar bends, they merely clamp the alum between two straight pices of timber (2x4) then gently go tapping along the edge slowly with a rubber hamer and evenly for the no of passes needed to where you finally have a 90* bend. Do not try to bend it all at once.

However it is far simpler to go to a machine shop and have them bend it for you.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Building a shaker table might be even more difficult. I don't know, I just think because I have such fine gold here it'd be a good idea to atleast attempt to build one. I read a while back in this forum about shaker tables plans. I lost the link when my hard drive died, but it was a bicycle powered unit built for testing in India. I did print that out, but it's not really plans. It show diamentions and all. But not what angles the riffles are, or how I could make it vibrate instead of using hand/peddle power. And Ideas?
On our comercial table at the mine, our riffles ran at right angles to the inlet feed to the table The length was on a diagonal with the shortest riffles nearest the inlet feed.

You need to have a system of adjusting your stroke and rapidy of the table movement.

Final hint, cover the intake area of the table for full width and perhaps for 2-3 ft down wth a film of plastic cloth which will float on top of the incoming feed. this will force any fine gold under the surface increasing greatly your recovery, I managed to increase ours by 12%+ .

Incidentally, this works for any sluice also.

Don Jose de La Mancha - Tropical Tramp

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread