New member Intro

MinerFortyNiner1952

Nov 18, 2013
San Jose, California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello members of TreasureNet forum,

Just wanted to say hi and introduce myself.

My name is Rick and I have been smitten with gold fever for some time now, though must confess it has reached an all time high lately.

Did some sluicing at Greenhorn, a gravel area near Grass Valley which in the gold heyday was an area in which the mountain sides were washed down into the valley. If you find the right spot and shovel enough gravel, you can get small amounts of gold.

Have graduated to my own partnered claim in the Motherlode, and had been experimenting with gravity dredging until the powers that be declared illegal a couple months back.

Looking forward to reading, sharing, and participating in the interesting posts that I have seen here.

Upvote 0

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum MFN -- as far as I know gravity dredging is still okay, as no machines are involved. I liked your video recently posted and wish you success. P.S. - love that avatar pic ! :icon_thumright:
P.P.S. - see any mercury in those Greenhorn creek sluicings ?

Last edited:

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome Aboard! :)

OP
OP
MinerFortyNiner1952

MinerFortyNiner1952

Nov 18, 2013
San Jose, California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have some movies that were taken as we have progressed in mining our claim

Rick Sharp - YouTube

Gravity dredging was legal at the start of this mining year, but some revisions were made to the law crossing out motorized making gravity dredging now illegal.

OP
OP
MinerFortyNiner1952

MinerFortyNiner1952

Nov 18, 2013
San Jose, California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks Fullpan, proud of that quartz piece no matter how small it is.

Still have my Greenhorn gold and while there is some mercury gold, don't think it's any more or less than on my claim.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello MinerFortyNiner1952 Rick,
Welcome to Tnet and you are in good and "sick" company here. Your video was interesting, you pulled some good color out of the base/root of the tree. From that I would suspect you have many other golden finds awaiting you and your partners on the claim.

Most any obstructions to the flow create a low pressure area however in boulders it is more difficult to estimate which ones to sample. I've found that tighter packs of boulders can be productive Especially if they are on the down river side of one or two larger boulders. Then again way out in the dry stream bed I chose to dig behind a rock that was covered for most of the year and pulled a little nugget from its eddy (velocity drop) area. It was dry when I worked it but moist gravel a foot down. A true thrill to find gold!

I look forward to your posts, pictures and videos and the best of success to you and your partners!!............................63bkpkr

181_8165.JPG This boulder was out to the edge of what would be the flood stage area so it is mostly dry during the summer. This picture is before I touched the area so many of the boulders behind the big boulder(with a big boulder buddy just out of the picture) are covered in leaves and dirt. I took about a 1/4 oz from this location. Your area looks to be much more productive.

185_8515.JPG This is the take from my adventure, not the coin but what is piled on top of it.

184_8444.JPG This is the same spot after back filling, it was not very soft so I did not sit there for long.

197_9701.JPG Your area looks like it would be perfect for using a Boulder Bra (set of SOLID real tire chains not cables) and a Harbor Freight 8000 lb cable hoist, a few chains and some extra cable and likely a snatch block. The smaller load range cable hoists DO NOT last!

mcordell

Nov 2, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Welcome MFN! Love the area you're working in. Always grab some wine from Szabo when I'm there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread