South Fork American Gold

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hiked a couple hours upstream from Folsom lake. All pan and crevice work. Gold in every pan! IMAG1076.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Aufisher

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks to Mad Marshall for the inspiration!

chris rizin

May 6, 2013
Fair Oaks CA
Detector(s) used
brand new in the box hunk of junk discriminator 11 i got for twenty bucks!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When were up that way? Hike up river from salmon falls bridge? I ran into a couple guys hiking out from that direction Friday I think it was..

OP
OP
Aufisher

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yep! Went last Saturday and this Sat. Enjoy before its under water soon! I only got one pan last Saturday but it was rich (for this place anyway). IMAG0672.jpg

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yep! Went last Saturday and this Sat. Enjoy before its under water soon! I only got one pan last Saturday but it was rich (for this place anyway). View attachment 904131

What you have in that pan is what I have to show for the year so far. Like you say, it was good for the area. Should be much better next year thanks to you guys here. Well done and thanks for sharing!

OP
OP
Aufisher

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
They were chunky! One was folded like a taco and I had a hard time sucking it into the snuffer. One nice wire pice too!

rawdog

Aug 31, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They were chunky! One was folded like a taco and I had a hard time sucking it into the snuffer. One nice wire pice too!

I was up there first week of may..not a soul up there (weekday) worked a hole in sight of 15 minute parking zone (parked for 2 hrs) with my trusty 17 bar and got gold like you got way upstream from the surface to about 2 1/2 feet down till i hit the clay. Then id move over.. I want to go back with trust letrap sluice..but the tradeoff is I cant haul that bar too far upriver...i hear theres a good sluice flow half a mile upstream from parking lot on gravel bar...gonna go up with my 55 gallon drum (half) and tear that **** up. I feel like I could get a couple pennyweight a day up there in the right spot.

Herby D

May 7, 2014
So Cal via Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelabs and Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice post Aufisher..It's been years since I've been there..just curious, what equipment/method did you use? I know you said pan and crevice work..Cool

OP
OP
Aufisher

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
attachment-5.jpeg

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was up there first week of may..not a soul up there (weekday) worked a hole in sight of 15 minute parking zone (parked for 2 hrs) with my trusty 17 bar and got gold like you got way upstream from the surface to about 2 1/2 feet down till i hit the clay. Then id move over.. I want to go back with trust letrap sluice..but the tradeoff is I cant haul that bar too far upriver...i hear theres a good sluice flow half a mile upstream from parking lot on gravel bar...gonna go up with my 55 gallon drum (half) and tear that **** up. I feel like I could get a couple pennyweight a day up there in the right spot.

1/2 mile up is a bar in a wide spot in the canyon. It pinches on both ends of the canyon and looks like a giant bowl, hence I call it the bowl. The sluice area is underwater right now from the push back of the lake. It will re-emerge when the lake gets down below 400 feet and gets very good as it goes lower. Weekend crowds then but still plenty of color. If you park on the south side of the bridge in the dirt it's free parking. Good Luck.

American - Folsom Lake Elevation

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
IMG_2313.JPG

This pic is from upstream at the pinch point. The bar is at that rock peeking out of the water in the middle. It's a large boulder that rests on the bar.

Herby D

May 7, 2014
So Cal via Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelabs and Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool....thanks

Most important two letter word sentence.. "If it is to be, it is up to me"

Sample Pan Dan

Bronze Member
Oct 20, 2012
Bostonia,Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We got good color from a spot about a mile from the bridge. Tough walking in over all the rock, but well worth it. Thanks again Mojo

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20140925_120306.png
    ForumRunner_20140925_120306.png
    153.1 KB · Views: 174
  • ForumRunner_20140925_120326.png
    ForumRunner_20140925_120326.png
    155.8 KB · Views: 209
  • ForumRunner_20140925_120350.png
    ForumRunner_20140925_120350.png
    52.1 KB · Views: 173

Chewyspark

Greenie
Oct 22, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is this open to the public? Meaning, are there no claims to worry about? On the S. Fork ?

OP
OP
Aufisher

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This area near Salmon Falls bridge is open. Best gold is about an hours hike up river from the bridge.

Chewyspark

Greenie
Oct 22, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys

Been researching like a mad man before headig out and I think I finally pinpointed where I want to go.
And that's a place called Magnolia ranch trailhead.
I was just curious if any of you have tried the area before and also if I'm misunderstanding that this section ofthe river is recreational and open to public for panning
Any who thanks for all the info you guys pas along on this site.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread