Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Let's be careful out there

I know we're all professionals out there when it comes to bad weather, cuz you all report back. This is just a reminder that officially winter is less than 30 days away and watch out for the other guy who don't know chit! Look how many peoples lives were changed forever due to one storm.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...ens-holiday-travel-across-most-of-the-us?lite

Stay safe and prospect!
Jeff

Last edited:
Upvote 0

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do It Right as Winter is unforgiving

Thanks Jeff and you are so correct about taking extra precautions as we head into winter and the weather that comes with it. It is time to consider if it is wise to go out at all or staying out of harms way at home. It is time to consider bringing along additional clothing, winter capable camping gear, food, water, tire chains and more that can save a life should we be stranded in the back country.

Take it from one that has stranded himself "out there", it is not fun and it can be life threatening! This is where a SPOT Messenger Pays For Itself!........63bkpkr

Note here: I do not sell the things or get a kickback from the company for this message. I bought one and I needed it the first time I went out with it so I'm only here as an end user sharing my input.

Last edited:

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah... It's MUCH less than 30 days away here my friends! Got a dusting of snow on the hill behind the house last night and it didn't warm up enough today for it to melt! It should be gone by tomorrow afternoon when this front has moved out but we've still got the fireplace burning. LOl ...and this is the DESERT!!!!!!!

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Gotta watch the other drivers a bit closer, too!

Down where I'm at in the So. Cal. Desert, they just had their first rain since
last spring...streets are slickeranell, and 95% of the drivers haven't a clue
about how to drive in slick conditions. Where I live up north a day without
sunshine is just another day, and at my place we get 75-80 inches of rain
a year; it seems odd to be driving on a dry road..:occasion14:

People tailgate the sheite out of each other these days, so adding more following
length just in case that teenager in front of you loses it while texting on ice seems
to be a good idea. I refuse to tailgate anyone, as it's just not worth it. I used to
chuckle when people in cars would try and "draft" behind my trailer...at least until
I blow a tire and that 100 lb.+ tire cap takes out their front end!

I've still got a 1200+ drive home, and if you're along I-5 and see a gunmetal
grey Toyota 4x4 puttering along about 10 car lengths back....hope I don't
slow ya down....8-)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jeff95531

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey DD I went to Eugene and back last Tuesday, pouring rain both ways. But what really made it bad was the return trip...at night. Seems that OR thinks fog lines and stripes are not important on I-5 and reflectors? "We don't need no stinkin reflectors!" Trucks throwing spray, three wide going up hill with little cars zig zagging in between:cussing:...Not for the faint of heart. Stay safe...we need more of your stories!:icon_thumleft:

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
No amount of gold or silver is worth life or limb, and the more we go out the the chance of accident is greater.
its not just the weather that can get us, and most likely it will be something as simple as stumbling over a rock and banging the head, maybe way out or just a few feet from our rig, if you fall and get hurt in the cold same as the heat you have no one with you, you can die.
lets all be safe in the bush, we got a brand new year coming and im feeling lucky!!
GT........

mcordell

Nov 2, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Got a sunburn the other day panning in 70 deg. sunshine. Thats a high quality problem going into December.

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got a sunburn the other day panning in 70 deg. sunshine. Thats a high quality problem going into December.

Hey Jeff, it's nice when you leave I-5 in Oregon and travel down Highway 199 back into California. I work for the Ca. Dept. of Transportation and Hwy 199 is the area I help take care of. We take a lot of pride in keeping up the safety signs and reflectors on our side of the border. Just this summer I placed and replaced a lot of both along with the center-line dots.

It's pretty cool when you travel through the tunnel and on down the Smith Rive canyon huh? Well defined at night and absolutely beautiful in the day time.

Mike

OP
OP
Jeff95531

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Mike. Good to hear from you again! And you are so right on ALL counts. Once you hit the boarder, things improve noticeably. Every time I travel N on 199 and I see the SRNRA sign, I still get excited as a kid driving through that cut out piece of rock where the real views begin. I call it the "Gateway to the Smith River"

199 tunnel.jpg Caltrans.jpg

SRNRA sign.jpg SR2.jpg

Did you do any prospecting this season? We should pair up some time:occasion14:

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Jeff, nice looking country there!......................63bkpkr

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Likewise Jeff. I did a little panning, sluicing and highbanking this summer on a couple different streams finding some pretty gold. I'm pretty tied up this holiday break with family stuff but maybe we could hit the Smith over the Christmas season.

This really is some fine country 63bkpkr. Rivers as clear as gin, trees over 300' tall and 1000's of years old and the Pacific Ocean. A lot of outdoor activities; hiking, fishing, hunting, clamming, crabbing etc.. and of course prospecting. About 80% of the county is in public ownership, mostly national forest.

Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread