fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I know a few here are lucky/blessed enough to mine as a primary job but, for the rest of us do any you work in the following fields for your other occupation? Web designer, publicist/public relations, radio/television work, Grant or technical writing, multi media production, sciences, economist, mine school grads/engineers, lobbyist, or ...........? Curious what kind of experience our labor pool has here.

Upvote 0

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Executive Chef at a private country club. Worked in kitchens for almost 20 years. Have also worked in welding fabrication shops ,and framing.... never thought I would be a chef but, it has allowed me to work where I want. Alaska , Montana, Oregon, Texas, Arizona. I used to snowboard so I would winter where there was snow and summer where there were College girls and good money, so I could be a bum all winter. I have three kids now so being a chef pays the bills and prospecting buys the toys..I also have a knack for picking and selling antiques and collectables .. and flipping good yard sale finds for profit......I'm very happy and wouldn't change a thing......except winning the lottery so I could prospect and rock-hound full time.

ALewis

Aug 20, 2013
East Bay, Northern Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First - KevininColorado, Totally a Spy.....8-)

Currently work for a Title / Escrow Co....Can search & pull public records & deal w/ county recorders office. Run title reports for foreclosures, etc.....

Currently enrolling back in school to finish my BS online, as I should have done 15+ years ago. Probably Computer Science, although at 35 I still have no real clue what I want to do....(well, short term plan is build a bigger sluice & find more shiny stuff ?)

tweeta_bear

Jul 5, 2013
commercial tenant finish/facility maintenance

but have my degree in computer drafting and design.

augoldminer

Jan 7, 2013
high desert goldfields
Detector(s) used
gold master V-sat
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Retired mine superintendent/underground hard rock gold-miner'(could do every job at a underground mine) chemical plant operator. heavy equipment mechanic, machinist, gunsmith. industrial construction electrician, welder,

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started my working life as a auto/diesel mechanic, which I learned from my father from an early age, I got tried of all the dirt and grease and went into carpentry, started out framing and ended up in finish carpentry, I was in business for myself for 20+ years doing custom interior trim, I also have experience in all of the trades of residential construction, I also built custom homes for 5 years for a total of around 25 homes in the resort area I live in.

At present I'm a project manager for a custom cabinet company, but I work hand-on from building the cabinets to installing them, I told my employer when I applied for this job that I couldn't just supervise and watch others working, I needed to work along side of the other employees or I would go crazy, WELL he took my word on that and he made sure I got a workout everyday for the last 7 years and still counting, but that's fine it keep me young!!!

calgeologist

Oct 31, 2011
Austin, TX and Motherlode
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A student getting MSc in geochemistry. Undergrad was geology looking at ore geochemistry and petrology in the motherlode.

Don't get to spend much time prospecting anymore since I no longer live full time in California. When I do get the chance I am deep in the back country similar to 63.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There is so much to experience out there in life that I felt I'd miss learning
about too many cool things if I locked myself into a single trade or career.
Before I had to retire I'd done many things to make a living....some call them
"careers", but to me each job was yet another adventure...not always fun,
but adventure nonetheless.

When I had to stop working I'd been doing real estate and landscape
photography for about a year. Spent the previous 10 years working
with my dad, and then took over his business in 2003. We represented
manufacturers of test equipment and instrumentation for EMC testing
(Electro-Magnetic Compatibility).

During the 90's I ran long-haul, pulling everything from flatbeds to reefers
from all points across North America. Been from Halifax NS to San Diego,
and traveled through 47 of the lower 48 states and all the Canadian Provinces.
Spent most of the time hauling flatbed loads in and out of every small town
sitting along both sides of the Rockies. In wintertime the high roads were no better
than that stuff the "Ice Road" truckers drive on.

Add to the list another 10 years of sales/marketing plus a couple years
negotiating cable TV franchise agreements for Viacom. Worked at a truck
tire shop mounting/balancing, spent a year working for a custom cabinet
maker...on and on.

Working life is over now, so I'm taking advantage of the good days and
chasing gold whenever and wherever I can. Not so much for the $gold$,
but for the fun of finding it and meeting new friends along the way.

Leonard F.

Feb 11, 2013
Arvada, CO
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Television video editor. Worked on a lot of crappy shows, and a few good ones over the last 20 years. Worked on the first season of Bering Sea Gold. Lately been working on Prospectors on The Weather Channel.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Television video editor. Worked on a lot of crappy shows, and a few good ones over the last 20 years. Worked on the first season of Bering Sea Gold. Lately been working on Prospectors on The Weather Channel.
cool that you get to work on topics you are interested in :)

mrlindeman

Feb 6, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am a Sawyer at a lumber mill & a wildlife trapper. Have a degree in systems analysis and network support though. My industry took a huge hit and our line of career has all but been outsoursed so most techs now work in factories or mills here.

cherrypicked

May 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was an actress and model. Now I do some behind the scenes stuff but picking is what I enjoy the most.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread