fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I know a few here are lucky/blessed enough to mine as a primary job but, for the rest of us do any you work in the following fields for your other occupation? Web designer, publicist/public relations, radio/television work, Grant or technical writing, multi media production, sciences, economist, mine school grads/engineers, lobbyist, or ...........? Curious what kind of experience our labor pool has here.

Upvote 0

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I teach kids mostly animal care, gardening, music and of course geology and mining IMAG1041.jpg

johnnysau

Apr 23, 2012
Reno NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
13 years air traffic controller - Also loved rocks. Just not planes and rocks together.

johnnysau

mxer47

Jul 28, 2013
High end residential finish carpenter. Recently a machinist and cnc code programmer and draftsman. I also built, owned, and operated a motocross track for a year.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
In management at a big international services company (but my daughter's boyfriend is convinced I'm a spy! LoL) Also a skilled residential plumber and electrician (used to work in my parents mechanical contracting company). Also a certified yoga instructor. Used to be a software developer but that was in the 80's and early 90's...now I'm just a Dilbert manager ;-)

Last edited:

jeffrm20

Feb 21, 2013
CA Motherlode
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Postal clerk here. Sucks being stuck in an office 6 days a week. But glad there is water close by to get my pan wet and see some color

norcalsteve

Sep 30, 2013
Petaluma, CA
Detector(s) used
36" Bazooka Prospector, Gold-n-Sand hand dredge
Cabinet maker here. Started out in woodworking 35 years ago making waterbeds. Then owned my own business for 15 years making custom reptile cages selling then to pet stores. Now working in a shop making custom cabinets.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started out of high school as a janitor, then a parking lot attendant, was ready to enlist(1964) but needed to find a job to fix a buddies jeep I rolled, then an in process QC inspector at a plastics processing company, an engineering tech, an engineer still in the same plastics processing company, started consulting in the medical device catheter world, started a couple of companies involved with medical device catheter technologies, currently listed as an extrusion tech but that job is going away and it is possible I will be hired by a medical device extrusion company in Texas in 2014, title unknown at the moment. Between real jobs in 2011 I worked as a "Handyman" with dirty to clean jobs and when that wasn't working I stayed in the woods for ~4 months so I could pay on some school loan debts(not by finding gold but to cut down on expenses) and I'm still paying on those loans.

It has been an interesting ride so far and I expect it will continue to be interesting till someday when I just stop breathing.............................63bkpkr

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Numerous shorter term jobs, more lengthy ones; beer truck driver/salesman, salesman of accessible vans and such to the disabled, 30 years land surveying and currently highway maintenance worker for Ca. Dept of Transportation.

Mike

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone reading please go to the website on the above green link as Mike is NOT telling the whole story as RIGHTEOUS piece a heaven Innholder for a place to escape it all in the middle of earthly heaven----sooo cool-John

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am an Information Technology Systems Engineer for a large educational publishing firm.
(But no books on Gold Prospecting... WTF!)

MinerFortyNiner1952

Nov 18, 2013
San Jose, California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Part time cabinet maker working at two different shops. Retired grocery manager for 35 years. Part time web developer and php programmer. Owned a web store selling guitar tuners until builder cut me out. Part time grocery merchandizer.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Semi-retired network/telcom system installer. I do everything from home phones to major network installs including fiber optics. Larges job to date required 52 miles of cable. :hardhat: Have also done a lot of web programing as I was the web master for the largest medieval archery re-enactment group in the U.S. Never bothered with a WYSIWYG editor though. I feel that they add too much unneeded code, so I hand wrote everything. I can pretty much think in HTML when needed.

OP
OP
fowledup

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Pretty much always had something to do with fires or electricity. Started out as and went back to to fulltime electrical a few years ago, third generation electrician (except I'm the broke one that stayed above ground). Was a vol. County fire capt for a long time until I decided to become a heavy equipment contractor providing fire water tenders and dozers for fire fighting operations. Sounds more glamorous then it is. That five year stunt gave me a crash course in stress, debt, and government red tape. Note to self- when your government encourages you to "sell the farm", start a business and work "with" them. Make sure you have a working crystal ball and ask it if the next government administration shares the same philosophy of privatizing the work your doing and won't want to keep it in house. Nope not bitter at all, it was fun, we see the light at the end of the tunnel and I'm far to busy enjoying and being grateful for what I do have! Best part is I'm home for the summer. "Don't let the man bring ya down!"

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I was a Non Procrastinateing Multi Trade technician, ( handy man / carpenter )

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread