Lucky, Blessed or Cursed

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I geuss if you had a retirement $$ or a fat bank account, one could feel blessed or lucky to be mining for a living. that's if you had $$$. Heres my take as one of those lucky ones to actually have been cursed gold fever without $$ backing.

I am now in my 7th year of full time desert mining and I can tell its no party here, in fact im starting to get tired of having nothing and I have wore out everthing I own including my body, if I didn't have something to prove to some folks I would just go back to work. anyways heres a day in my life..

I dont have a season as I can work all year here if I have grounds to work.
I have to endure, winter cold, summer heat, bees, hiking up rock covered mnts, across vast areas of alluvium that affords no smooth footing for walking, and all the time one eye open for snakes, I carry my pick, shovel, rockhammer, bucket, bags, backpack, and as much water as needed for my walkin, usally 2 gals, sleeping, eating, living in the dirt n rocks.

That's my load I take in, I then have to after a few mile walk. prospect the hills, meaning I start chasing the vein digging on anything that looks good and in most cases I will muck out all old timer holes that look to have potential for some crumbs, let me remind you that its 100 + out and this is my job no worky no pay, lunch a can of beans in the hot sun with lots of flys, even if you got no bees there are always flys!
all this added to the fact I have only got 1 gram in the bottle in the last 4 weeks of digging.

lunch over its now well into 100 degrees, the bees aren't bad today im lucky its 3 miles back to the truck no trail just course alluvium and my feet hurt from walkin in already, just glad I don't have to work the 3ooo foot level on the mnt as that's where the pay zone is, today im lucky its in the foot hills.

so its blazing heat by now 2o clock got my samples only had to clean out a 4x4 foot hole today then sample the hole bottom sides.
Loaded up and back out to the rig fortunate today I think I will be back up here so I leave my shovel and my extra gal of water here, then the walk out, its 104 and 3 miles to the rig.

get back to the truck no flat tires and it starts up thank god its hot now, no AC in my truck I have 18 mile washboard dirt road to haul out. today we make it home no problems.

Now I have to crush my samples so I know where to or if I am going to dig, as im panning im hopping I got gold if not I left my tools up there for nothing and have to make a waisted trip. today we get good values, but now I have to go dig in, I will use my large back pack it hold a five gallon bucket and all my gear, and take 1 extra bucket in my hand, water n tools, this stuff I have gotten ready before dark.

today I walkin to dig, im carrying my hardrock tools 3lb hammer, chisel, big pick n water, I have a bucket up there n my shovel that I left yesterday. man I got a lot stuff to carry out, heres where I start thinkin about how much I have to carry out, made it across the alluvium and to the dig, I have to start digging right away as the heat is coming on fast today its 8oclock n 102, I spend about hour or so I have my pack bucket 2/3 full, and 2 hand buckets are a 1/3 full.

Its time to head back out by now its 104 n 11 oclock I got to get back to the rig as I am depleting my water fast, going down my legs n back are under extreme amount of weight, my ore is heavy today. and the heat is dangerous now, hiking out I have to take a break evey 15 minutes or so, As I am doing a forced march under full pack.
I make to the rig can hardly move and I still got to drive 18 miles out.

I have to test my samples make sure im still on gold, I managed to dig out a fair bit of ore so I have at least 3 trips up and back just to haul ore, in hard rock mining its about stock piling, unless you are one of the lucky ones whos mine is paying well.
so now I have stocked piled 1000 lbs of ore im ready to run, I have a ball mill, it will take me a week to batch n run my cons across the wave table, next get my gold from my concentrates n smelt end up with less than an ounce.

Then its a trip to town and the local gold shop where the guy that buys my gold a Dealer knows I mine for a living and only offers me 75% for my product today take it or leave it he says, I take it because I have no choice. I also have a small amount of placer nuggets that he beats me out of, But that's mining for a living from my first hand expierance.
Lucky, Blessed or Cursed you tell me.................

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know, but I do know I could not do it.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you really like what your doing I would say Blessed as the state I live in you wouldn't have the option of doing that for a living even if you wanted too. I would look for someone better to sell my gold but I really don't know if you could get better than 75% spot or not seems like you could get a bit better anyway, I might not let the next know your doing it living though maybe act like its a hobby.

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Depends on what you want out of life, everything is a trade off. 1. Your cursed for money, hardship, and physical toll. 2. Your lucky to have fair health, a place to go, and the opportunity to do your thing. 3. Your blessed to be as free as one can be in this day and age, your not working to make someone else wealthy, you live simply, and your the master of your destiny. I would bet most of us here qualify for the first two, damn few get to experience the third. As a bonus you have romance, mystery and chance. Money is what gets in the way of living a dream. We are all five minutes from being homeless and I never let myself forget that.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
I hear ya Herb! It's NOT an easy life at all no matter how sweet the TV shows make it look. Hard rock mining has got to be the hardest job in this field. I'll stick to placering. I'm close to starting up an operation out here and know it's not going to be an easy time even with the aid of powered equipment. Even so it beats making money for someone else and I'll be my own boss again which is something I've missed for the last ten years or so.

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Be nice to have killer lights so you could work all night and sleep in a cool mine underground in the day. I walked through death valley using this method.

H-2 CHARLIE

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2012
on the rocks - so cal county line
Detector(s) used
Gold bug pro / Minelab GM 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well you might get a part time job at the Arco gas station at nite for 12 bucks a hour looking at chicks all nite . whats your biggest nugg ?

OP
OP
G

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I hear ya Herb! It's NOT an easy life at all no matter how sweet the TV shows make it look. Hard rock mining has got to be the hardest job in this field. I'll stick to placering. I'm close to starting up an operation out here and know it's not going to be an easy time even with the aid of powered equipment. Even so it beats making money for someone else and I'll be my own boss again which is something I've missed for the last ten years or so.
GI,
Don't laugh but I have only seen 1 gold show in my whole life, National Geo the Atochia. and never played a video game since the days of intellavision,
And this is the only site I go to online beside my web site, And I cant seem to get the youtube black box to ever work !!
Good luck on your mining opp.....

AU,
Iron man, yeah baby!!!!! did you make the whole run ?

H-2,
Havnt found it yet ! Is that your big dig in Christmas wash out on the black jack?

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Thanks for the tag-a-long GT! that is a very realistic story that most newbees think it wont happen to them! i Hope you have a Happy Thanksgiveing with your family!

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Love Intellivision Sea Battle. Lol

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
now if you had a cam crew with ya you would have the realist reality show out there, real mining for real people!thanks for sharing.

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Gold tramp A rhetorical Question..
The life style makes you blessed !! the society you live in is your curse!! and the loved ones that surround you is why your lucky!!

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Gold tramp A rhetorical Question.. The life style makes you blessed !! the society you live in is your curse!! and the loved ones that surround you is why your lucky!!
nice! Had no idea what a poet philosopher you are MadMarshall!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread