Miners backpack

MMinOH

Nov 28, 2013
Ohio
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Miner's backpack

Hello from Ohio. As my fever for gold continues to grow so does my collection of equipment. I'm looking to upgrade my hiking backpack to some sort of miner's backpack to cram all my gear into lol. What do all the ole timers use to carry their gear to a honey hole when a hike is involved?

Upvote 0

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
What Jimmy said. Get the Large A.L.I.C.E. pack (also known as a L.R.R.P. pack) with the frame and you'll be able to load everything ya need in it. I've lived out of one for over 2 weeks while in the Army. Just remember to keep the heavy items packed at the bottom and as close to your body as they'll go. Makes it easier on you. Also pick up a few ammo pouches to attach to the sides of the pack for more storage. Great for smaller items.

You can find them on line as well as at some of the local surplus stores.

Last edited:

Sample Pan Dan

Bronze Member
Oct 20, 2012
Bostonia,Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see a lot of military packs, and also regular aluminum framed backpacks. I've seen those of eBay as used as cheap as $30.

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
My son Jboy refuses to carry any other type of pack, its alice or none, we use all military surplus as the sun tends to break down the fabric fast out here in the desert, and buying high dollar gear for us is out of the question.

I think the military gear works just fine and holds up to abuse of toten hammers,picks, shovels, ect..............

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
you all must be younger guys! i haul it all on my ATV cause them days of backpacking/walking long distances are long gone for me! Happy Thanksgiveing to all!

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Military rucksack! Any military surplus stores out there?
Yup...I've been lugging an Alice pack, mounted on a Jansport frame, for about 30 years.
Jim

Last edited:

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
One thing to check or just do before heading out. Look at the shoulder strap and buckle connections. My last internal frame mil spec. surplus pack shoulder strap tore loose about 2 miles down the trail. Tied it into a knot which lasted the remainder of the trip. When I got home I took it to the canvas awning shop and had them repair and reinforce it, charged mne something like $10 or $15 bucks, well worth it as they are the best packs out there for the money.
I put 2-2.5 gal buckets in the bottom, my BGT- Prospector, small shovel, and a two piece digging bar all fit it inside the buckets and protect the pack cloth and I'm still able to snap,cover over top, very hand when busting through buck brush!

Last edited:

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All depends on what you have handy, what you find at the second hand store. I have an old backpack frame with new shoulder and waist straps that I use as a freighter frame. I put my gear into a stuff sack or duffel bag and simply strap the gear bags to the frame. I used this method for travel in Europe as well as in the Sierras..............................63bkpkr

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Look at your local thrift store first, amazing deals on packs sometimes...

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Just to give you an idea of the abuse that an A.L.I.C.E. pack will take... When I first got out of the Army I was doing roofing as part of a training project. We had to stock the roof and it was up three stories. Everyone else was dragging the bundles of shingles up one bundle at a time. I threw two bundles in my pack and then grabbed a third in my arms and started hauling them up the stairs. I wanted to get the stocking done because this roof was 9300 sq/ft. which worked out to almost 300 packs of shingles. Everyone thought I was crazy but I was still buff from the Army and used to hauling that pack all day anyway.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just to give you an idea of the abuse that an A.L.I.C.E. pack will take... When I first got out of the Army I was doing roofing as part of a training project. We had to stock the roof and it was up three stories. Everyone else was dragging the bundles of shingles up one bundle at a time. I threw two bundles in my pack and then grabbed a third in my arms and started hauling them up the stairs. I wanted to get the stocking done because this roof was 9300 sq/ft. which worked out to almost 300 packs of shingles. Everyone thought I was crazy but I was still buff from the Army and used to hauling that pack all day anyway.
Nice...like a BOSS!

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Uhhhh Kev... you DO know what the definition of a BOSS is don't you? Someone that's full of carp and all over yur a$$.
LOL, that's a phrase my daughter and college kids in general seem to use for really doing something well. Just try to keep up ;-)

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
you all must be younger guys! i haul it all on my ATV cause them days of backpacking/walking long distances are long gone for me! Happy Thanksgiveing to all!
Well, I guess I'm young....will be 65 next month. Still cover about 5-6 miles/day prospecting in the summer. Places I go, you can't get to on a 4-wheeler. Since I'm usually alone, I trust my legs more than the 4-wheeler. Also, the 4-wheeler can take you much farther back than you can walk out, if it breaks down.
Jim

Last edited:

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look for something with quick release buckles and loops you can hang your gear on. Taking your pack apart to find gear is a pain when you can just slide a pick or shovel out of a loop. I also put a pair of zipties on my pans and classifiers so I can clip them on the back of my pack with carabiners. Access is everything.

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
100_0213.JPG
My backpack hasn't really changed over the last few years. If anything it has gotten lighter as now experience has taught me some... Though when I find a spot that needs some more attention I will make trips carrying Rockbars sluice ect.. Sometimes 3 days of packing crap in.. All to common for prospectors not to know what tools are really needed and waste time packing in crap because in beecouse they might need it..A good prospector not only finds gold but it very aware of the tools needed to exploit it. And I am willing to bet you may be surprised on how little actual tools a prospector needs to actually work... Different places could require a different set up.. Anyway Gentlemen if you are spending more money on sluices and highbankers and other crap and have yet to have your finds pay for it.. You may want to step back and rethink your tools!!!! Lets not forget what prospecting is!! Finding gold and making a buck.. Not collecting gold recovery equipment/toys....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread