pa boy looking for a good place to take my daughter panning or digging for gems

mikepa

Jul 10, 2011
My 8 year old daughter is getting obsessed with collecting rocks, while i am detecting she is stuffing rocks she thinks are different into her pockets and mine too. i have found them in her book bag and lunch box haha. i think its time to take her some place this spring she can find some good stuff. any one have any ideas where to go? and i have seen places on the net that sells "paydirt" are these worth buying to get her excited about the hobby??

thanks

Upvote 0

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife is into the rocks also. She bought a bucket on line from Gold n Gem Grubbin. www.goldngem.com. and was satisfied with here perchase. They will even send a photo guide of what gems they have in their buckets. They are in Georgia so a vacation would be in order or order a bucket. Pretty reasonalble for what you get.

Good Luck!

BH Prospector

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Glad your daughter is a budding rockhound! I come from a rockhounding family. You should buy this "Gem Trails of Pennsylvania & New Jersey" book -- I'm sure it will be like those of this same series that I've used in other states: the small book is packed with info about collecting sites, types of gemstones, semiprecious stones and other interesting rocks & minerals, with driving directions & a bit of historical background. If out of print, try Amazon or eBay. Also, do what I just did to find info on your state: Google image "Pennsylvania rockhound" & you'll see many links, one of which offers kits with PA rocks & room for your daughter to add some of her own. If your daughter stays interested & you live close enough, you may want to take a family trip to the Franklin, New Jersey area where there's a huge history of many types of fluorescent minerals, museum, digging areas. Kids especially seem to love rocks that will fluoresce under lights. Also, like our club here in central CA, many gem & mineral clubs have special mini-clubs for kids, HAVE FUN! Andi

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread