My Gold And Sand Hand Dredge Review

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Disappointed....Im sure some was user error but I was not able to get material the way I thought I would be able to. It is very awkward to handle all the way around. The bucket always wants to float away. There needs to be a handle of some sort on the base of the pump to give you a stronger pumping action. Or at least make easier to carry. The hose can be wound up to fit in the small bucket with the accessories. The lid wont go on but I can toss it inside of my 5g bucket and its no big deal, but the pump itself could use something. BGT,5g bucket, Pump, and Shovel is a bit much to carry at once, a handle would help.
My main reason for disappointment was the amount of material I was actually getting... There was plenty of dirt and small gravel where I was pumping but it seemed like only water was going thru the hose. I would think ok, it has to be nearly full by now. Dump the water out....and it would barely have anything maybe a 3rd full was the best I did. Both custom nozzles would get a rock stuck in it literally every 10 seconds.... I had to cut my losses after basically wasting an hour and go with my trusty shovel. I figured the bucket would fill up in 10-20 pumps.????was i doing something wrong?:thumb_down:

Upvote 0

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
man some people are harsh in their reviews. Coincidentally I borrowed one ..We used it to clean out the low sumphole spot we cleared to bedrock and was filling with water.I also used it to clear material from under a boulder in a hole . It moved material and water out of our way easy and into the bucket. We dont use it to dig or produce but, when we needed it sure worked for us. We got gold with it. Not everything is foolproof I guess.:laughing7:

Last edited:

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It should work better than described. I suggest you do some trouble shooting before scrapping it.

I have not used that particular brand, but most function about the same. The advise in this thread has been good, but maybe take it a step at a time. For sure, if you have a leather seal, put it into water for a day. Also, make sure there is no air leak at any of the joints. Make sure it is not clogged with rocks somewhere, including the tip of the nozzle and the hose to the bucket. Confirm the check valve can close completely. Sometimes people put a screw into the check valve flap to give it extra weight to help it close. Make sure you are pulling the pump handle to the top, so you dirt is taken above the check valve. That is about it; not rocket science. Darn thing should suck up sand and small rocks (and gold). If you are getting clogs, you can put a post through the nozzle (a bolt), which will limit the size of the rocks (flat ones seem to be the worst). If you do this, keep an eye on the tip because they will jam there too - a small slot screwdriver is handy to clean them out.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Two additional things: be sure the output valve is oriented correctly (this is mentioned in the instructions but people forget) and second, remember this is a dredge just like a powered dredge ...don't hog the nozzle! You should be pulling 4-5X as much water as paydirt...if you just jam the nozzle straight into the paydirt, nothing good will happen.

ebuyc

Jan 17, 2012
Spokane, Washington
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Valve upgrade will help tremendously!

Well the main problem with the Gold-n-sand suckers are the check valves. They have a 1/4" gap around the raised seat of the check valve and the rocks go straight to it! then the valve refuses to shut properly and everything fails after that. Get rid of it or replace the check valves. You can buy clear PVC check valves that don't have that raised seat in them. Then you can see when it is messing up and you can see the orientation of the swing valve hinge which is also important. The hinges have to be ABOVE the material going through them… So if you set the unit up to KEEP the hose on the left side, the moment you try to use it with the hose on the right side the material will not allow the swing valve to close.

I think that is your number one issue with the device. You have to be aware what the orientation of the swing type check valve and you have to know when it is jambs up. The unit is not meant to move a lot of material just clean out your bedrock crevices underwater… but you can actually move quite a bit of material with one.

I highly recommend the clear PVC Valterra valves for this application:

200-C15W.jpg

You have to be careful of the swing and spring combo valves - many of them have a raised valve seat like the stock Gold-n-Sand valves.

Now as far as usefulness of these devices, usually only used to clean the bottom of holes and bedrock crevices… usually!

Bedrock Bob is taking the hand dredge bedrock sniping to a production level lol!

Meet the bottom feeder:
bottom%u00252Bfeeder%2B5a.jpg

Read more here: Bedrock or Bust - Gold Prospecting in Idaho: The Bottom Feeder

For places with exposed bedrock and where only non-motorized tools are allowed...

My 2 bits...

Last edited:

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well the main problem with the Gold-n-sand suckers are the check valves. They have a 1/4" gap around the raised seat of the check valve and the rocks go straight to it! then the valve refuses to shut properly and everything fails after that. Get rid of it or replace the check valves. You can buy clear PVC check valves that don't have that raised seat in them. Then you can see when it is messing up and you can see the orientation of the swing valve hinge which is also important. The hinges have to be ABOVE the material going through them… So if you set the unit up to KEEP the hose on the left side, the moment you try to use it with the hose on the right side the material will not allow the swing valve to close.

I think that is your number one issue with the device. You have to be aware what the orientation of the swing type check valve and you have to know when it is jambs up. The unit is not meant to move a lot of material just clean out your bedrock crevices underwater… but you can actually move quite a bit of material with one.

I highly recommend the clear PVC Valterra valves for this application:

View attachment 1139591

You have to be careful of the swing and spring combo valves - many of them have a raised valve seat like the stock Gold-n-Sand valves.

Now as far as usefulness of these devices, usually only used to clean the bottom of holes and bedrock crevices… usually!

Bedrock Bob is taking the hand dredge bedrock sniping to a production level lol!

Meet the bottom feeder:
View attachment 1139592

Read more here: Bedrock or Bust - Gold Prospecting in Idaho: The Bottom Feeder

For places with exposed bedrock and where only non-motorized tools are allowed...

My 2 bits...

Good info, I like that "bottom feeder". Also Gold-N-Sand has a new improved valve. Valve upgrade kit.
Gold Prospecting Equipment by Gold-N-Sand

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ebuyc, great info! Do your comments on the G&S valves refer to their older one piece valves or the newer two piece (screw together) valve (which they have a patent on btw)?

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
I used to have a lot of PVC pipe in my shop. to get rid of it without trashing it I made several of these suckers and GAVE them away to newbees that went out we us or the club! Ive never heard back from them! I have stopped making things for others for free! yep they are real EZ to make!

dashriprock

Jan 18, 2014
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster Vsat
Tesoro Diablo Umaxx
Garrett CXIII
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I bought a gold and sand hand dredge when they first came out because the old area I always worked had lots of exposed bedrock. After about a half hour using it with the problems others have mentioned...hogging too much material, check valves getting stuck because of stuck rocks, bucket floating around, etc.. I figured out to put a rock on the bucket, don't try to hog the material and rarely have rocks jamming the check valves. I also have the header box attachment that the hose attaches to and mounts on my sluice. Don't know if they still offer that with it or not. I don't have any problems with it and at times it comes in mighty handy.

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes the original valves.

Ah, right, I had trouble with those valves too. G&S sells their new valves for any who want to replace or build your own. The new valves were designed by Red specifically for this use and do work much better :)

They also come apart so you can replace just the flapper if it wears out.

OP
OP
mytimetoshine

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah, right, I had trouble with those valves too. G&S sells their new valves for any who want to replace or build your own. The new valves were designed by Red specifically for this use and do work much better :)

They also come apart so you can replace just the flapper if it wears out.
I bought mine last year so wouldn't it already come with the "upgraded" valve? Based on everyones comments I decided to take it apart again and look at the flaps. They defintly don't look like they seal very tight,but now I'm confused as to the orientaion of the flaps but Im sure I can figure that out. My main concern was i did an air pressure/ leak check by plugging the holes with my fingers and blowing into either end and let me tell you, it is in no way airtight leaks like crazy. That explains the suction power or lack thereof...

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought mine last year so wouldn't it already come with the "upgraded" valve? Based on everyones comments I decided to take it apart again and look at the flaps. They defintly don't look like they seal very tight,but now I'm confused as to the orientaion of the flaps but Im sure I can figure that out. My main concern was i did an air pressure/ leak check by plugging the holes with my fingers and blowing into either end and let me tell you, it is in no way airtight leaks like crazy. That explains the suction power or lack thereof...[/QUO

The older ones, the valve housing is round. The newer model with the flapper,they are square.

OP
OP
mytimetoshine

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought mine last year so wouldn't it already come with the "upgraded" valve? Based on everyones comments I decided to take it apart again and look at the flaps. They defintly don't look like they seal very tight,but now I'm confused as to the orientaion of the flaps but Im sure I can figure that out. My main concern was i did an air pressure/ leak check by plugging the holes with my fingers and blowing into either end and let me tell you, it is in no way airtight leaks like crazy. That explains the suction power or lack thereof...[/QUO

The older ones, the valve housing is round. The newer model with the flapper,they are square.

OK, then i definitely have the older or "defective" version. Im kinda upset now. I heard all these good things about it before i bought it. I just bought it last year, i presume after it was known that the orignal valves were defective. You would think that they would only ship "fixed" units?....

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, then i definitely have the older or "defective" version. Im kinda upset now. I heard all these good things about it before i bought it. I just bought it last year, i presume after it was known that the orignal valves were defective. You would think that they would only ship "fixed" units?....

I think the old valves could....be a PIA.... not defective though. The new valves are better for sure.
http://www.gold-n-sand.com/#/faq/4536614106

Last edited:

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks like 30 bucks for an upgrade. I've wanted something like this. I'll probably just make one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread