Bering Sea Gold season 3 - 12/13/13

Ordell

Feb 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, ep 1 is over.

* Emily has her own ship, Eroica. I thought it was supposed to be Eurotica. She took The Edge from Zeke in a deal they made but it needed a ton of work. An engine blew up and that set off more Emily drama.

* Her idiot dad has a skiff appropriately named Minnow. I guess that makes him Gilligan.

* Meisterheim is working for a Christine Rose clone, a ship with a backhoe, called Au Grabber. He's not the captain, he works for someone else for once. I can't remember the guy's name, except it was a very ethnic German name.

* Zeke made a late appearance and sounds like he's losing his mind. He said during the winter he didn't shower or change his clothes for 3 months. In addition to Bunce's death, another friend of his committed suicide. I think this kid is in trouble.

* There was another guy who built the underwater sluice, but he lost it. He claims it floated off on an iceberg. I wouldn't be surprised if it was stolen.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DynoGuy

Nov 10, 2013
Statesville, NC
Detector(s) used
Sluices: Bazooka 30" Prospector, Bazooka Super Mini and a folding A52 clone. Homemade 12" x 24" Miller table.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
We r all our own kind of crazy....so true! Just for example, for some irrational reason, I am willing to stand in ice cold water for hours to get a few bucks an hour worth of a mineral I don't really need. Hmm.

Hey Kevin if you really don't "need" that mineral send it to me, I'm sure I could find a use for it. Now if you have to much to fit into an envelope keep it and when I get a chance to come out i'll pick it up then.:wink:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Kevin if you really don't "need" that mineral send it to me, I'm sure I could find a use for it. Now if you have to much to fit into an envelope keep it and when I get a chance to come out i'll pick it up then.:wink:
Keep dreamin' brotha

artic gold

Dec 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi to all on this thread, AK Au hi Rob and Andrew, we are yard mates in Nome. Read all the posts, seems most don't care for the show much but are still attracted for some reason. I can't believe how much Emily gets pounded in here. And the big nose rant, didn't know you had to have a certain look to be a miner. Looks to me like she is up there mining and getting gold and has been for several years now, more than most can say. Several others and myself have gladly given her a small hand from time to time just because she has spunk and is a good gal. Just wish some of you that trash talk people you don't know would take the time to come and visit so you would have a little more information than what Discovery chooses to show you. You have to remember a camera does strange things to people. Just look at some home films of yourself and see some of the stupid crap we do when the camera is on. Any of you that want to come to Nome and visit you will find a very helpful bunch of guys and gals and you will not be a stranger long around there. Well worth the time and cost to come up and see it yourself. It's been my experience that later in the season ( aug. and later ) like Rob said there is a demand for divers and tenders. I'm in the only blue shop building on the harbor and would be happy to help anyone, time permitting.

AK_Au_Diver

Nov 21, 2013
Nome, AK
Detector(s) used
My Eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't think Rob posts here, I'm just Andrew.

As he said though, most miners in Nome are willing to help others, time permitting. Unless a person is a jerk, then I am usually even more busy than normal. I try to help people before they come to Nome, so that they will bring up the right equipment. That way when they fail I can buy good stuff for cheap from them during their fire sale.

G1sammons

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2012
Murfreesboro tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I don't think Rob posts here, I'm just Andrew. As he said though, most miners in Nome are willing to help others, time permitting. Unless a person is a jerk, then I am usually even more busy than normal. I try to help people before they come to Nome, so that they will bring up the right equipment. That way when they fail I can buy good stuff for cheap from them during their fire sale.
That's wrong ! But funny !
Is ther a lot of fire sales up there

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I can't believe how much Emily gets pounded in here. And the big nose rant, didn't know you had to have a certain look to be a miner. Looks to me like she is up there mining and getting gold and has been for several years now, more than most can say. Several others and myself have gladly given her a small hand from time to time just because she has spunk and is a good gal. Just wish some of you that trash talk people you don't know would take the time to come and visit so you would have a little more information than what Discovery chooses to show you.

I have no doubt whatsoever that Emily is doing the hard work needed
to get the gold. My criticism is about her personality (at least what
the editors leave in). I realize her dad's a bit of a nutcase as well,
but what really turned me off about Emily was all her whining and
emotional issues..not her mining skills.

Last edited:

RustedBucket

Greenie
Dec 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Both of these shows would be soo much better without all the drama. I guess that's what sells ad time though. UGH!

Rdg Sluicer

Dec 11, 2012
Redding, Ca
Detector(s) used
BGT Prospector

BGT Super Mini

Angus MacKirk Explorer

South Yuba Mining Highbanker
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi to all on this thread, AK Au hi Rob and Andrew, we are yard mates in Nome. Read all the posts, seems most don't care for the show much but are still attracted for some reason. I can't believe how much Emily gets pounded in here. And the big nose rant, didn't know you had to have a certain look to be a miner. Looks to me like she is up there mining and getting gold and has been for several years now, more than most can say. Several others and myself have gladly given her a small hand from time to time just because she has spunk and is a good gal. Just wish some of you that trash talk people you don't know would take the time to come and visit so you would have a little more information than what Discovery chooses to show you. You have to remember a camera does strange things to people. Just look at some home films of yourself and see some of the stupid crap we do when the camera is on. Any of you that want to come to Nome and visit you will find a very helpful bunch of guys and gals and you will not be a stranger long around there. Well worth the time and cost to come up and see it yourself. It's been my experience that later in the season ( aug. and later ) like Rob said there is a demand for divers and tenders. I'm in the only blue shop building on the harbor and would be happy to help anyone, time permitting.

Personally I like the show less the drama esp that Meisterhiem dude. Can you explain how the whole beach mining thing works? Do you have claims or is it just first come first serve?

AK_Au_Diver

Nov 21, 2013
Nome, AK
Detector(s) used
My Eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
Can you explain how the whole beach mining thing works? Do you have claims or is it just first come first serve?

All of the beaches are owned, except for a narrow strip between the tides, which is public access and only about 3' wide.

One company owns most of West Beach, the first 7 miles or so. They are named something like "Nome Gold Alaska Company", and for traditional reasons they allow non-mechanized mining on their beach; meaning you can use a water pump to run your highbanker, but it can only be fed by at most a human powered shovel. But ownership and management has changed and they are not sure what policies they will keep or change.

The beach is not very good anymore, there are too many people working it every year, it doesn't have a change to build up. New gold only erodes out of the bank, and there have not been any huge storms since the last time the beach was cleaned. I think you can even still see the dig areas and tailing piles from the last couple years of beach mining. I've heard of a skilled beach miner getting 4 to 6 ozt in three months or 12 hour days, after covering all the good areas on the beach (meaning a 4th month won't do much good, because there is nothing left.

Middle beach is small, and owned by the city, and they have specific hours where mining is a tolerated. The city of Nome hates _ABSOLUTELY HATES_ miners, but they put up with them because all the business owners like the business.

The other beaches are owned by a Native Corporation, they have been known to send a helicopter to fly out and tell beach miners to leave their property. Which is fine, there is not much gold there anyways, from what I hear. Otherwise it would have been claimed up before the Native corporations were formed. They also don't allow any camping by white people or even parking equipment on their beaches. Luckily they are required to allow people to pass, since it is a right of way.

Rdg Sluicer

Dec 11, 2012
Redding, Ca
Detector(s) used
BGT Prospector

BGT Super Mini

Angus MacKirk Explorer

Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the info.... I figured there was more to it than people make it seem. I am really wanting to go inland a ways anyway for like 3 to 4 weeks a summer. Sounds like the GPAA Expedition may be my best bet?

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info.... I figured there was more to it than people make it seem. I am really wanting to go inland a ways anyway for like 3 to 4 weeks a summer. Sounds like the GPAA Expedition may be my best bet?

You could always go to a GPAA "Gold and Treasure Expo" and sign up to win a free trip. While there you can attend a free seminar that describes the adventure in detail.

GG~

Rdg Sluicer

Dec 11, 2012
Redding, Ca
Detector(s) used
BGT Prospector

BGT Super Mini

Angus MacKirk Explorer

Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You could always go to a GPAA "Gold and Treasure Expo" and sign up to win a free trip. While there you can attend a free seminar that describes the adventure in detail.

GG~

I have seen the DVD set called "Alaska" that GPAA put out of their old show. I could really get into staying in some of their more remote camps for a few weeks. It seems like there are also a lot of claims for sale in the Nome area. If you could get one at a decent price you could go up every summer and not have to pay GPAA... then again you would have to provide your own transportation, food , equip ect ect. I will make it happen one of these days.

artic gold

Dec 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AuAK Andrew good info to anyone that has not been to Nome. Not sure I totally agree that the City hates all miners. I have had a very good relationship with all of City management and they have often gone above and beyond. A lot of miners kinda bring there own special problems to town and are not well received. The local newspaper is another story. The editor is a full blown Communist that loves every Social programs from the gov. and can not stand anyone that wants to work for a living. They would rather see the gold lay there as see someone work their ass off and get some. The Native Corporations ( different Eskimo groups) get their money from Gov. Grants so they are totally disconnected from the reality of Capitalism. If you forget all that crap and just stay busy with the idea of gold mining there is a lot of it still up there. As far as the GPAA. seems some love it but some don't. Most I talk to don't get much gold and it's kinda like a high priced boarding house out there. We see a new truck load drive by us every few days on the way to camp down the beach. It's about a 15 mi ride from the airport. All in all it's a lot more pos. than neg. in Nome, well worth the time and expense to come up and visit or get involved and get some gold. IMO the only real problem you will have is housing and transportation once there. Hotel rooms are 125 and full most of the time so its important to plan ahead.

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There are so many great places to mine up there. Spend your first trip on the road system traveling, plenty of places to go. Don't get land locked with a gazillion other Cheechako's, go where you can spread out, experience and enjoy what AK has to offer. There are also rivers in southwest that would be perfect for a prospecting float trip. Stay away from the Illiamna area quite the hub bub going on over the Pebble Mine. Although if you did venture that way you might get a chance at an autograph from one of the hollyweird actors they hired to oppose it. Wish I had the time and money, I'd volunteer to be your tour guide. Fair warning many a visit up there has turned into a permanent address change.

AK_Au_Diver

Nov 21, 2013
Nome, AK
Detector(s) used
My Eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
Sounds like the GPAA Expedition may be my best bet?

I do highly recommend GPAA for certain types of people. They take care of everything you need, but you won't get much gold your first time there. I don't really know much about how exactly everything works. I call it a "dude ranch for gold miners" but I guess that has a negative meaning to some, not my intention. As far as coming to Nome, having an adventure, not spending too much money, making friends, and spending time, then the GPAA Nome camp is a great fit for many.

Think of GPAA Nome like a gold mining themed cruise, except on land. Maybe it's more than that. For most people they would be money ahead and have a much better time doing the GPAA route vs trying it on their own.

OP
OP
O

Ordell

Feb 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well you guys should be happy. We had an Emily-free episode tonight.

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not in a callous way, I don't care about the people. Maybe a better way to say I dislike the bullshit drama.

I liked this episode. Not because emily wasn't there. Not because her dad wasn't the feature. Not because of the hot head lying his appology.

I liked it because I saw some guys running material and hitting a spot that most of us can only dream of.

It's actually more enjoyable to watch it with the sound off....

Rdg Sluicer

Dec 11, 2012
Redding, Ca
Detector(s) used
BGT Prospector

BGT Super Mini

Angus MacKirk Explorer

Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Think of GPAA Nome like a gold mining themed cruise, except on land. Maybe it's more than that. For most people they would be money ahead and have a much better time doing the GPAA route vs trying it on their own.

It kinda has that "Disneyland" look on the DVD I saw. I would have to be guaranteed to be in one of the more remote areas away from the crow. With my social skills I would last about 10 min in the main camp. In the end it is probably the most economic. Your already on a claim so you don't have to worry your in the right area. You don't have to pack all your mining/camping gear, food, ect ect. To be honest it is really hard to get by the whole dude ranch image though....lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread