Reading a creek.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Inside bends and a straight line between the inside bends is the simple answer without being there.
Also gold will drop out of the flow in areas where the water slows down such as when the creek suddenly widens out or goes deep all of a sudden.

Always be on the lookout for exposed bedrock and search the cracks and crevices of that bedrock. (sometimes the cracks fill in so smooth that you cant tell they are there so be dilligent)

Go for the gold,
GG~

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
...and understand that the smaller the creek the less the usual rules are guaranteed to be true. Due to big differences between normal/nominal flow and storm events. The storm events may be the only time the gold moves so the shape of the creek then may be the only relevant datum.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As Kevin says flood events may cause the paystreaks to vary from the norm, so when you are reading a creek also try to visualize what the flow would look like during a flood event and prospect accordingly. Also look for high benches left by ancient flooding as well as from ancient water courses that have altered over time. (rounded rocks/cobbles are the clue to where the water used to flow) many unseasoned prospectors overlook the high benches but rich gold deposits/pockets tend to lurk there.

GG~

Last edited:

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
GoldenIrishman passed a tip on to me I'd like to share. Take a video and/or pics of the river/creek at it's lowest, midway and highest levels. Compare and prospect!:icon_thumleft:

Gotta love the KISS philosophy8-)

Last edited:

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Jeff... you try to KISS me and I'll have to beat you like a red headed step child!

Actually if you can see the creek at it's highest levels you can get a really good idea of where the gold is going to be dropped out of it. Look for the "low pressure" areas. Bends, around rocks, places where it flattens out or becomes wider. It may mean having to go out in some nasty weather but it can really pay off in the long run. There was a series in the ICMJ mag that covered a guy doing just that, then going in with a dredge and clearing the creek by doing it in grid sections. He then documented what gold he got and plotted it on a map of the creek. Turns out his research was 100% right. I'll see if I can find the issues that the series ran in and post the info so others can find them. Very enlightening read. BTW.... It took him two years to clear that creek out! Dredging in all kinds of weather in Virgina. That's dedication!

Last edited:

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Spoken like a true southern GA Redneck...Oh, and don't get me wrong...I kept going back to FL for years...why I'll never know...Anyways I share the south with you as a FL turncoat. (remaindered edited due to author's intoxication)

mcordell

Nov 2, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Debris in the trees is a good sign of recent high water. Small brush lays down in the flow so don't get fooled. Don't look up creek or down creek. Hike up the side of the hill as far as you can and look down.

calnatv

Mar 19, 2011
The more you prospect the more you will start to visualize the likely spots.My claim is on a small creek. Took me a couple years to effectively "read" it. The more experience I got working the creek, the easier it was to find the pockets.

OP
OP
Oldyoungtimer

Oldyoungtimer

Feb 20, 2013
Thanks everyone for the helP! I'm working a creek that's 5 to 8 feet wide. Has some deep spots about 3 feet deep. It's in north east Georgia. So the Forrest is a factor. I understand the general rules for the most part. I know you guys have great experience on this subject and it's great to get some perSonal tips from y'all!

Joeyboots

Jan 22, 2012
New York, NY
Detector(s) used
Fisher Pulse 8X/Garrett Gold Stinger/Tesoro Sand Shark/Tiger Shark/Falcon MD 20, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold Hogs puts out some river reading videos on you tube. Here is one I like.

OP
OP
Oldyoungtimer

Oldyoungtimer

Feb 20, 2013
Thanks Joey I viewed most of his videos. They are awesome clips I watch often. I'm looking more for tips on the creeks smaller than the ones doc works.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reading a creek using tried and true techniques really serves only to provide you with pre qualified places to start test panning.
Test panning is really the only sure fire way to know whether you are onto a pay streak or not. (if dredging then dredging test holes, but you still have to pan the cons)

Different creeks in different parts of the country require different strategies.......
For instance, on small creeks in glacial gold territory looking for recent "flood gold" I've found that by first locating the path of the black sand and then test panning toward the middle of the creek side of the black sand streak provides the best results. Other creeks and types of gold sought after require different strategies so you just have to get your feet wet and "go for the gold"

There is no substitute for hands on experience and gold is where you find it, and sometimes it's found where you would not think it's supposed to be.
But for the most part it's right where it should be, that is unless someone beat you to it.

GG~

Last edited:
OP
OP
Oldyoungtimer

Oldyoungtimer

Feb 20, 2013
Thanks GG nothing beats the hands on the pan. Can't wait to get back on the mountain! I'll let y'all know soon how it all goes. Good luck everyone out there! Find some chunkers!

OP
OP
Oldyoungtimer

Oldyoungtimer

Feb 20, 2013
Well I went out yesterday and boy was it coming down! Rained hard as soon as I set my vehicle in park. I tried a few spots here and there with the pan but the water was moving so fast than it was crazy to try much else lol. It was cool to see the water in flood stage but that was about it. The water had turned that murky brown it was hard to read much in the water. As I tried to set up my sluice I positioned rocks in the water and they started to flow right down the creek. It was then I got to see first hand how flood water is capable of moving gold. It was a good lesson to learn. Didn't get but one nice little flake but the experience I gained was worth being out there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions