goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't know how many of you keep tabs on the spot prices of gold (and other metals) but it looks like gold is taking a swan dive.

Now I'm not anywhere near an expert on global economics, but I thought the prices were regulated by supply and demand. So either there's been a MAJOR find that I haven't heard about or suddenly no one wants to buy gold.

Anyone got the info on why the prices are going south like a duck in winter?

Upvote 0

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holey moley! I saw it earlier at 1192. now 1187, says it's headed back up, though (?).
I have heard/read/seen in different medias, some think it's undervalued because someone (? as in governments), are buying it up and storing at that low of a price. I can't be real sure, cause it's all so speculative.

Check out the precious metals section down lower in the misc section. There is a lot of knowledgeable folks down there. Maybe there will be a thread offers some insight.
I believe it will go back up, a lot. I hope you're not needing to sell at this low of a price.
Good luck and HH!

newgoldfinder

Dec 19, 2013
Adams County, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dont know about yall but i here gold prices depend on the current aconomy balance. If it good gold prices drop its good.if bad it rises. you will have to pardon the spelling as mine sucks

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, when the market is up, gold is down. A couple bad things globally will drive it up again.

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i know russia is a huge gold producer,but you never hear of it cause it is a government industry,and i read some info a few years ago ,how they hoard the gold ,we're talking tons,they shelf the stuff, like debeers with diamonds,and when the market is ripe, they dump it on the markets by the ton,sometimes intentionaly to the detriment to other economys. china does the same,they play by different rules than the rest of the world. this may be the case.also the fed, and wallstreet has been down playing the value of gold cause a lot of the rise is due too uncertianty because of their actions,i heard warren buffet saying how he was advising agianst buying phsyical gold,saying it was a bubble, i would like to know how much he owns, i bet is quite a bit.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Naahhh...it's the announcement by the Fed that they're going to slow the QE. The price will be determined by how MUCH they slow it. Right now, it's a bit of a knee-jerk reaction, which is exactly what Bernanke wants. The Fed and the government are trying their best to discourage gold ownership. I look at it as a simple buying opportunity, with great prices.
Jim

simbad42

Nov 10, 2013
Santa Barbara
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm on my phone so forgive the lack of explanation but my bet is they are forcing the price down so silver will not jump past the price it is at. ( for the greater part of history silver has been 1/16th the price of gold and the stock market trades more "oz's " of silver in one day then is on earth.) With that said forcing the price of gold down saves the*companies like apple that have experienced shortages of silver from being made to pay the fair price for a commodity that they need to make 500$ off of 5 bucks of paid labour.

Sample Pan Dan

Bronze Member
Oct 20, 2012
Bostonia,Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The banksters screw with metals like they do everything else. Chances are it's a price dump by the likes of Goldman Sachs etc., so as to create a panic sell by small investors so the banksters can acquire even more gold at a reduced priced. Give it a month or two, it'll be back close to $1400.

two bear

Dec 14, 2013
Smoky Mtns of east Tn
Detector(s) used
Whites metal detectors
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congress just approved to raise the dept ceiling. Guess they thought 17 trillion wasn't enough. Buy gold now. It will rise very soon. I hear 2500 to 3000 an ounce.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its pretty much following the pattern it has for years..the spot price isn't really dropping that fast...its following normal trends...for a better idea go to kitco and look at the historical charts.....gold is always on the rise since the government stopped fixing prices....small dips for market adjustment....yet always on the climb when you take a step back and look at the big picture....when it drops a bit more than usual it is a good time to buy. But, don't hold out for the $900.00 ounce because it most likely won't happen.and if it does buy,buy, buy!!!!!!

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It would never get that far. Everybody and their grandmother would be snapping it up long before then.

OP
OP
goldenIrishman

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
I hear ya Herb! If it gets that low I can see a lot of claims closing down because people can't afford to work them.

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its pretty much following the pattern it has for years..the spot price isn't really dropping that fast...its following normal trends...for a better idea go to kitco and look at the historical charts.....gold is always on the rise since the government stopped fixing prices....small dips for market adjustment....yet always on the climb when you take a step back and look at the big picture....when it drops a bit more than usual it is a good time to buy. But, don't hold out for the $900.00 ounce because it most likely won't happen.and if it does buy,buy, buy!!!!!!

Not sure if I am understanding your statement. If I remember correctly, a couple years back - Gold just missed hitting $2,000 - Now it's at what $1,100-$1,200? That's a pretty sharp decline in my world.

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
As soon as it sinks in just how worthless our money is really becoming, gold will once again take off like a Atlas rocket. Politics and stock exchanges will always be a gamble while the safety of gold will never loose its luster.

spillercanyon

Jan 4, 2012
California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You guys must be a bunch of youngsters. If you look further back to when I was getting into prospecting, around 1980, you can see that gold went down and never came back to that level for a couple of decades. Not saying that will happen here but to say it always dips and comes back up in short order is only a short term view of prices.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread