goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
We are considering getting a trommel and I've been doing research into several different brands. One thing that has shocked me (maybe I've been out of it for too long or something) is the prices they're getting for them now days. (I thought they were made to recover gold, not made from it!)

As far as portable trailer mounted units go I've looked into the Javalina Reverse Helix models, the Golden Retriever from Angus McKirk, The 159 from Heckler Fabrication, and a couple of others and all seem to have both advantages and disadvantages. Some like the Javalina have much lower feed rates per hour then others. Some are belt driven instead of chain drive. Etc. Etc. Etc. I'd like to hear from those using these different brands/models and get their opinions. What would you change? What do you think of their recovery abilities? How about reliability? Most importantly, do you think it was worth the investment?

Needless to say this is going to be a major investment and we really REALLY need to make sure that we get the most bang for our buck because unlike Todd Hoffman, we don't have a TV network footing the bills for us! Though I could most likely build something on my own, I'm NOT the metal fab kind of guy like AzViper and some others on here are. We've got a very complete wood shop but that doesn't do us much good for this kind of project. I don't think a wooden trommel would be an option. It could be cool, but not practical.

GI

Upvote 0

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
For 20K will get you this trommel and its runs on diesel of which runs all the hydraulics. 7K will get you the smaller trommel. Where is the water coming from Jeff. Don't be Todd H.

t2.jpg t1.jpg t3.jpg t4.jpg

OP
OP
goldenIrishman

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Trust me Keith... Ain't no "Hoffman School of Mining" graduate here. I've got it covered in my POO for the forest service. It would take longer to type it all out than I've got at the moment but I've found some very interesting info on the federal laws about mining. Access, water etc. I'll fill you in when we meet up at the gulch once you're ready to play again and show you what I've found.

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
There is a four ton an hour unit, how much bigger do he want? I shoveled into it at the testing.

OP
OP
goldenIrishman

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
What I'm looking for is something that can be fed at a rate of 10 tons or so an hour. I'd like to keep the cost in the 15K range including the pump setup. I'm not going to be loading it with a shovel but will be using a Kobota loader/hoe.

I've looked at the Javalina and it doesn't meet my feed requirements and I'm not to keen on having a lot of plastic parts. From what I saw it maxes out at 2 TPH for the single barrel one. It is interesting due to its lack of sluice but not up to my requirements.

I was talking to SLNuggets and he has a New Age unit but feels that it might be a little light when it comes to handling the clay in the area. I haven't looked at them yet but will do so just to be sure.

I haven't checked into the Gold Claimer yet but will check them out.

The Angus McKirk Golden Retriever is also under consideration but not real high on my list at this point

So far the Heckler model 159 is in the lead. 7-10 TPH feed rate and from the pictures it looks like it should bust up the clay very well. The main drawback on their design is that there doesn't seem to be any suspension on the trailer portion. It's not "street legal" as it comes from the factory and would require some extra work to make it so. I can do lights and fenders with no problem though. It just strikes me as odd that they don't come ready to roll on down the road.

As I said before, I'll be looking them all over very closely to make sure that which ever unit I end up getting meets the requirements for the conditions on the claim. I just wanted to hear from those that have used some of these models and get their feedback on the pros and cons of each unit. With the amount I'm going to be sinking into this, I want the best bang for the buck.

mtau

Mar 21, 2013
MT
Detector(s) used
gmt
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I built this trommel in 1975, and it's still going strong. I run 10cy per hr. through it. It's not pretty, but does the job. placer 8-23-11 004.JPG

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Jeff,

Take a strong look at the Gold Claimer. They have been at it for 30 years. My buddy who built his swears by going hydraulic as it lowers your operating cost. Ready to roll, suspension, brakes, feeders... Just remember when buying used your buying headaches as you have no clue how the equipment was maintained.

aaaaaa.jpg bbbbb.jpg ccccc.jpg
ddddd.jpg eeeee.jpg

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Jeff also 10 tons per hour I just don't see it with one tractor. Remember your going to have three areas that are going to have to be cleaned up while feeding the hopper. In front of the discharge of the sluice, in front of the hopper, and the discharge of the trommel. Hate to sound negative. Without digging into the soil with a tractor are you sure the Kubota can handle the day in and day out, HP they seem on the light, but it depends on the model.

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
I am sure it is a fine machine, but it is 6000 over his budget with tax and without a pump.

Last edited:
OP
OP
goldenIrishman

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice looking plants Bill but not very portable for this terrain we're going to be working in. We're not going to be able to leave the equipment on site when we are not there, so portability is a very important decision factor.

We're also planning on having a pair of tractors out there if I can get Robi trained on operating one of them. One will be the loader/hoe style while the second one will be a straight loader.

I agree with ya 100% Keith. Used equipment is just asking for problems. You've got no idea of what kind of maintenance was done on it etc etc etc. Last thing I want to do is spend all that money and have to do a complete rebuild on it within the first month of getting it.

bill-costa rica

Sep 19, 2010
playa samara
Detector(s) used
sd2100 infinium ls, 10 inch dredge
I guess with your need to move your stuff in and out , the gold claimer needs to be looked at pretty hard. it is kinda of a in between machine. it will not handle a beating with a excavator , but with a Kubota or a back hoe it should be fine. also maybe go with the lower number of yards per hour. I think they are more realistic. this plant has what you need. grizzle and feed hopper , also a stacking conveyor. nice machine.

bill/cr

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Jeff,

I like what you purposed, I think the smaller trommel with the conveyor belt system for your operation is ideal. The conveyor will keep a constant flow into the hopper. You will still have wiggle room for a sizable tank, pump, etc. and still be under your 15K. The only then I would do is get the holes cut to 1/2" and more holes. The spacing seems odd, but you do have a longer area for the gold to drop out. This system gives you lots of flexibility in that you can always step up to a bigger trommel and still use the conveyor. It would be cool if you could locate a 3000 gallon tank and find someone in the area to deliver water...

DSC_05772.jpg DSC_0587.jpg DSC_0571.jpg DSC_0573.jpg

DSC_0586.jpg DSC_05832.jpg 100_6422.jpg 100_6449.jpg

DSC_0571.jpg DSC_0676.jpg DSC_0692.jpg

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Jeff you could get a half dozen of these 300 gallon water tanks for the site. You would need to keep them covered so the summer sun does not destroy them... $75.00 each here in Tucson. I would me more than happy to help you out with any welding, plumbing, driving tractors etc...

01616_aP2ymeSnKEz_600x450.jpg

SLNugget

Sep 25, 2013
Morristown, AZ
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What I'm looking for is something that can be fed at a rate of 10 tons or so an hour. I'd like to keep the cost in the 15K range including the pump setup. I'm not going to be loading it with a shovel but will be using a Kobota loader/hoe

Is this deal gonna use a recirc water system? Seems to me 10 tons per hour would require a LOT OF WATER........

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread