How often do you prospect?

MinerFortyNiner1952

Nov 18, 2013
San Jose, California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I know that we have a myriad of prospectors here, from the just-getting-started to the hardcore grizzled old-timer. How many times a month do you need to get out there and dig to satisfy the craving of gold fever?

For me, one weekend a month whether it be just the Saturday or even a Saturday-Sunday combo just ain't cutting it anymore. It is a three hour trek for me to get to my claim and future plans call for relocating to an area closer to the dig site. Sigh!

Upvote 0

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

mrlindeman

Feb 6, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
granted im not workin overtime at the mill. 4 sundays a month or more, rain or shine sleet or snow. its only for a few hours each day though. my back does not like it so much lol.

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I go prospecting everyday if it suits me. But I wake up thinking about gold and go to sleep thinking about gold everyday... Hoser John is right it is an all consuming life style.. For me their is no other job.. I just left an awesome opportunity farming where I was getting a guaranteed 3k a month for easy work.(legal too)..
The longer I prospect the more I start to realize what the search for gold really is.

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I know that we have a myriad of prospectors here, from the just-getting-started to the hardcore grizzled old-timer. How many times a month do you need to get out there and dig to satisfy the craving of gold fever?

For me, one weekend a month whether it be just the Saturday or even a Saturday-Sunday combo just ain't cutting it anymore. It is a three hour trek for me to get to my claim and future plans call for relocating to an area closer to the dig site. Sigh!

I am fairly new to prospecting so I get out at least one day a week, sometimes two or three if lucky. I was not able to get out to my usual spot this weekend and my hands got real sweaty and my driving became erratic. I finally had to settle for going to the grubby creek in town near my home, climbing over an old chair and some tires and running pans of gravel full of broken glass to alleviate the symptoms. It helped a little......

Aurabbit79er

Oct 29, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
A cheap little Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never seem to get to go prospecting as much as I want. When I have the money to go I don't have the time and vice a versa. Life isn't fare

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'd be out every day, if I could, but alas the weather up
here is not cooperating.

Retired, no schedule at all, so unless there's a doc appt.
or some other special event I'm free to do as I please. The
wife works at home, but it's an 8 hr. a day job that requires
her to be in her office, and she all but boots me out of the
house to go, even when I don't feel so hot.

Last summer sucked simply because there were too many
"sick days" from the Meniere's, but hoping this coming
Spring/Summer it'll behave a bit better and not keep me indoors
so much. A few days last summer I just decided "the hell with it,
I'm going anyway!"...paid the price, but still had fun!

This year I've got some upgraded gear, and hoping to get out
in the field at least 3-4 days a week, and then another day or
2 at home processing the cons.

mcordell

Nov 2, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'll be happy when I can prospect as much as my father in law plays golf.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that the wife and I are both retired we go as often as possible, once for 4 weeks solid. :icon_thumleft:
Problem is......... sometimes there is to much month left after our budget is busted :tongue3:

GG~

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Got out yesterday for the last hour or so of daylight. Good for the soul, that's for sure! Had to stop part way thru to do a clean out of the Bazooka because a dad and his two little kids came along and wanted to see how I was doing. Sure is fun to see that look on the kids face when they see the gold in the pan :) isn't it amazing that even little kids "get it"?!?

Sample Pan Dan

Bronze Member
Oct 20, 2012
Bostonia,Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Much like when I had a boat, Aurabbit79er. I either didn't have the time, didn't have the money and when I had both, the weather failed me. Glad I sold it!

Same experience here with a boat. They say the 2 best days for a boat owner are the day he bought it and the day he sells it! :-)

OP
OP
MinerFortyNiner1952

MinerFortyNiner1952

Nov 18, 2013
San Jose, California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Got out yesterday for the last hour or so of daylight. Good for the soul, that's for sure! Had to stop part way thru to do a clean out of the Bazooka because a dad and his two little kids came along and wanted to see how I was doing. Sure is fun to see that look on the kids face when they see the gold in the pan :) isn't it amazing that even little kids "get it"?!?

KevinCo, Getting to turning on the lights for a youngster as their eyes widen when they see that golden glint. . . priceless

Awesome end to a day!

Astrobouncer

Jun 21, 2009
Right now I dont go nowhere near as much as I would like. Maybe once a month if I am lucky and then I usually spend as much time filming and making an episode out of it, as actual prospecting. So many pay streaks, so little time to go get them.

TAKODA

Aug 19, 2008
Alabama
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Right now I dont go nowhere near as much as I would like. Maybe once a month if I am lucky and then I usually spend as much time filming and making an episode out of it, as actual prospecting. So many pay streaks, so little time to go get them.

Damn AB ........... once a month . I don't think I could stand that .

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Got out again today at lunch time...it was SO nice out...and the weekend is supposed to be colder so I think I'll go skiing on Sunday. Isn't that cool? From placer mining in a lovely stream to skiing in a couple days :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread