How often do you prospect?

MinerFortyNiner1952

Nov 18, 2013
San Jose, California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I know that we have a myriad of prospectors here, from the just-getting-started to the hardcore grizzled old-timer. How many times a month do you need to get out there and dig to satisfy the craving of gold fever?

For me, one weekend a month whether it be just the Saturday or even a Saturday-Sunday combo just ain't cutting it anymore. It is a three hour trek for me to get to my claim and future plans call for relocating to an area closer to the dig site. Sigh!

Upvote 0

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well, I got out today after all. only two hours before the winter weather came in but that was enough to be a good workout :) I also took a minute to take some pics of my dig site. Enjoy! image-1084014205.jpg My upstream hole and the dam. The Bazooka goes in the gap in the dam at the top of the photo

image-3258004384.jpg The downstream hole. The sandstone bedrock is only about a foot or so down so I am carefully scraping the bottom of the hole as I go. At the upper left of this pic you can see that i have channelized the outflow of the bazooka so the tailings flow past my downstream hole instead of into it!

Last edited:

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
So... Kevin is working in the water in Colorado in the winter. It may be liquid but I'd quesstimate it's about 33 degrees! You're a sick and twisted individual Kevin!

I like that in a person!!!!!

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So... Kevin is working in the water in Colorado in the winter. It may be liquid but I'd quesstimate it's about 33 degrees! You're a sick and twisted individual Kevin!
I was thinking the same thing.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You guys are great, thanks for the kudos!

golden sluice

Dec 16, 2013
next to disneyland
Detector(s) used
Thanks Kellyco, and Garrett:smile:... I love my AT gold metal detector!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I go 2x a month, its an hour drive, the hike with gear is another half hour. It is exercise with an incentive.:2barsgold:

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Exercise with an incentive...I like that!

donnygamble

Tenderfoot
Dec 10, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I try to get out at least two or three times a month. My job requires a lot of my time which makes it challenging for me to get out as much as I would like. I wish I lived in a location where I could prospect for a living, but that just isn't a reality and relocating just isn't possible. I am not a hunter or anything like that so prospecting gives me the ability to get out in nature which is the biggest reason I enjoy prospecting. The fact that I have to drive at least an hour or more just to get some place where I can find gold is another reason why I don't do it more often than I do. I would love to get out at least once a week, but again, the demands on my time from family and my job just don't make it possible.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Howdy Donny, and welcome to Tnet! :hello:

Like you, in my younger years I never had enough time to get out
in the field much; family, chores and a need for food and shelter
(ie: JOB) do tend to get in the way.

Go when ya can, but know that when the kids are grown and
gone, and the wife can't wait for you to get out of the house
that that gold will still be out there!

Last edited:

tweeta_bear

Jul 5, 2013
i try to get out once or twice a wk... when you live in colorado you learn to enjoy the heat and cold. if work allows, today im gonna try to get out there.

djpitr

Oct 18, 2012
S.C.
Detector(s) used
Gold bug 2 , XP Deus , ctx3030
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Usually twice a month , but i would like to more ;) , just for the exercise ;) the gold is just extra :)

My last christmas trip

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions