The amount of material a 3 inch hand sucker will move

deserdog

May 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did a test to see how much material a 3 inch would move. This is material right from the creek, after loosening it up with my digging bar. Each pan is one suction stroke. First picture is all of thematerial in a 14 inch gold pan, then the oversize in a 1/2" classifier.
pan6.jpg

pan6classified.jpg

pan7.jpg

pan7classified.jpg

Upvote 0

bcfromfl

Feb 18, 2016
Youngstown, FL
Detector(s) used
GPX 4500,
Fisher Gold Bug Pro,
Gold Hog stream sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
D

deserdog

May 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is what I use, a 3" plumbers test plug.
plug 1.jpg

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the "move a lot of material" aspect of this beast. If you could get these valves, Gold Prospecting Equipment by Gold-N-Sand shown here in the valve upgrade kit, in 3 inch.... That would make the Gold-N-Sand much more efficient. You can get the gamma lids for 5 gallon buckets also.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
I made my own plug using a circular gasket cutter and some large stainless steel washers and I cut out some round butyl rubber washers that were a slightly tight fit into the PVC tube. I probly had 6 of these butyl rubber disks with the S.S. washers inbetween them . EZ to make and I ended up giving it away and made another, gave it away also.....Then I won a Chucks Gold Sucker at a rally in Idaho Springs Colorado in 06 or 07.

bcfromfl

Feb 18, 2016
Youngstown, FL
Detector(s) used
GPX 4500,
Fisher Gold Bug Pro,
Gold Hog stream sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm always struck when I watch all the videos of guys using sluices how slow the water is set up. Doc's stream sluice really steps up the production!

BMOLLMAN

Greenie
Oct 10, 2013
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've used something similar to this to keep the material from flowing back out.

bcfromfl

Feb 18, 2016
Youngstown, FL
Detector(s) used
GPX 4500,
Fisher Gold Bug Pro,
Gold Hog stream sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just an equipment observation -- didn't mean to offend anyone...

bcfromfl

Feb 18, 2016
Youngstown, FL
Detector(s) used
GPX 4500,
Fisher Gold Bug Pro,
Gold Hog stream sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK -- so I finally found the right 3" expansion plug...Home Depot and Lowe's around here carry a different design that won't work. I've been turning this thing over and over in my hands the past few days, and taking it apart and putting back together. What method would be the best to trim the top washer so it fits inside the 3" PVC barrel? This thing is no joke -- it's made from heavy gauge steel, I think. I'm almost considering taking it to a machine shop somewhere, but would rather do it myself. Haven't tried a hacksaw yet, but I have a feeling it's just going to polish the edge instead of cut. And cutting a round 2-3/4" circle with a hacksaw sounds like an exercise in futility.

I do have a file set so I can clean the edge when I'm done, but I'd rather it stays reasonably round and not jagged. Hope someone here has a great idea so I won't bang up my knuckles and cut my fingers!

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have done it with a pair of vice grips, patience and a bench grinder but hopefully you'll get a better idea from someone else. Good luck. :icon_thumright: Soon as I settle on some leather for the existing foam piston I have, I'll be mcgiverin myself. The foam piston is cinched down with the wing nut as tight as it will go...good for now but even I know better to work the edge of fail when prospecting. :unhappysmiley:.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

deserdog

May 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what type of plug are you using? One like I showed in a picture awhile back?

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK -- so I finally found the right 3" expansion plug...Home Depot and Lowe's around here carry a different design that won't work. I've been turning this thing over and over in my hands the past few days, and taking it apart and putting back together. What method would be the best to trim the top washer so it fits inside the 3" PVC barrel? This thing is no joke -- it's made from heavy gauge steel, I think. I'm almost considering taking it to a machine shop somewhere, but would rather do it myself. Haven't tried a hacksaw yet, but I have a feeling it's just going to polish the edge instead of cut. And cutting a round 2-3/4" circle with a hacksaw sounds like an exercise in futility.

I do have a file set so I can clean the edge when I'm done, but I'd rather it stays reasonably round and not jagged. Hope someone here has a great idea so I won't bang up my knuckles and cut my fingers!

You said you wanted to trim the top washer. Is it removable? Can you just make a new washer? Find one the size you need, or, get a hole saw and some sheets of stainless, aluminum what ever you want.... Then your set! How about a pic ?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions