Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By AzViper

Thread: UNDERWATER gold dredge ***HOW CAN I BUILD ONE***ideas?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jan 2013
    Michigan
    Tesoro compadre, bounty hunter
    32 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

UNDERWATER gold dredge ***HOW CAN I BUILD ONE***ideas?

hey everyone, so im sure you have seen Glen Lebaron on bearing sea gold. His dredge is a genious idea and its mainly for slower moving water but i know the pools of slow moving water are drop off points as far as gold goes. I would like to build one this summer if possible and does anyone have any idea how to build one. I dont understand the dragon on the gold show where do the big rocks go because its a enclose sluice box. I really want to understand how to build one. ANY SUGGESTIONS. its not rocket science but it will take much in depth precision to make everything work.

us
    Keith

Feb 2013
    Glendale
    Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
    300 times
    Prospecting
    Just a guess on my part, but it seems to be part fluid bed, part dredge. The rocks get kicked out same as any other sluicing operation.
    Men are strong so long as they represent a strong idea they become powerless when they oppose it. Sigmund Freud

us
    fowledup

Jul 2013
    N. Cal or S. Jefferson
    Whites GMT V/SAT
    494 times
    Prospecting
    Gould Engineerings' Bazooka is another example.
    "Come on guys, it ain't that bad, heck it could be worse!" -The Sheeples Mantra

Charter Member
    us
    Minning Tools: 12" Trommel, Royal Drywasher, Viper-Vac, Miller Table, Blue Bowl, Footprints, Google Earth, These Are Just Tools As You Still Have To Be On The Gold

Sep 2012
    Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting in the southwest?
    Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
    1252 times
    Prospecting
    What happen to your adventures of mining in Arizona with the claims you bought? For a few weeks all we read about was, claims, trucking water, backhoes, etc.
    Jimmydolittle likes this.
    “He who builds their own equipment has a better understanding of what works and what does not work”

Build Your Own Blue Bowl Recovery System - Build Your Own Crevice Vac / Blower - Build Your Own Trommel - Build You Own Miller Table

us
    Keith

Feb 2013
    Glendale
    Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
    300 times
    Prospecting
    He's got the fever....bad. At least he is listening to reason. And looking to you guys for advice. But, yeah, that was what I was thinking.
    Men are strong so long as they represent a strong idea they become powerless when they oppose it. Sigmund Freud

us
    Mar 2003
    Redding,Calif.
    2213 times
    Oldest and cheapest form of dredging is underwater dredges. Keene still sells them also. Go for the units with a suction nozzle as miniscule recovery boxes require hose classification prior to being sucked into the box. If you use a powerjet you get a mixed up mess immediately prior to recovery and much less recovery. That unit is NOT new as Trev Alty from the NZ has built them for many MANY years. Go to the "OLD" GoldDredger.com forum for complete info,may also find in new forum under search. Must run with floats just like a regular dredge,keep absolutely rigid to prevent ALL side to side roll as instantly dumps out the recovery system. Instant backfill if on the bottom. Anyhow Trev from NZ also posted on old Prospectors Casche also. I MUCH prefer surface floated as MUCH more classification,better fines recovery and the ability to keep a eye on the box(none on underwater units) is paramount for righteous operation---John

us
    Jan 2013
    Michigan
    Tesoro compadre, bounty hunter
    32 times
    You guys crack me up lol. The arizona thing is still in play. Just thinking ahead for the blazing hot summer in az. Why not go where the temp is not as bad AK anyone?
    Quote Originally Posted by AzViper View Post
    What happen to your adventures of mining in Arizona with the claims you bought? For a few weeks all we read about was, claims, trucking water, backhoes, etc.

Charter Member
    us
    Minning Tools: 12" Trommel, Royal Drywasher, Viper-Vac, Miller Table, Blue Bowl, Footprints, Google Earth, These Are Just Tools As You Still Have To Be On The Gold

Sep 2012
    Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting in the southwest?
    Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
    1252 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by keepmehumblelord View Post
    You guys crack me up lol. The arizona thing is still in play. Just thinking ahead for the blazing hot summer in az. Why not go where the temp is not as bad AK anyone?
    Well I had to ask. Your like a kid in a candy store bouncing off the walls, everyday it was something new. I look forward to the summers. If you been here as long as I have been you appreciate the heat and learn to handle the heat. I was prospecting and mining in the heat this summer. You learn to pace yourself and drink lots of fluids, but I look forward to reading your next adventure... Good Luck...
    Last edited by AzViper; Dec 30, 2013 at 08:28 PM.
    “He who builds their own equipment has a better understanding of what works and what does not work”

Build Your Own Blue Bowl Recovery System - Build Your Own Crevice Vac / Blower - Build Your Own Trommel - Build You Own Miller Table

us
    Keith

Feb 2013
    Glendale
    300 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by keepmehumblelord View Post
    Just thinking ahead for the blazing hot summer in az.
    And,. that is why we drywash. You can get at least two months of the dryer than a popcorn fart weather no matter where you are north of Tucson.

us
    Rob

Oct 2012
    Farmington, Maine
    37 times
    It was hard to see much of the "Dragon" on the show to give a good description, but from what I saw I think he is running a 2 stage system. I believe material is brought to a screen separator which allows the larger material to be discarded and the smaller material is caught below the screen in a sump. The sump is then run as a separate system with it's own suction jet drawing from the sump and feeding the sluicebox. This type of system will achieve much better recovery than a standard submersible because the flow rate to move the smaller material is much less than the requires flow to move the large rocks. This type of system has been deployed on surface designs also but does require considerably more design than a standard subsurface dredge. Building a subsurface that will capture fine gold is a tough job and requires the understanding that pressure drives the flow of water/material unlike a surface unit which benefits from gravity flow and angle to help move material over the sluice. It is not that hard to get fine gold in a subsurface unit, but it is very hard to get it while trying to move the unwanted large material through. If getting gold on your claims is your goal and not the challenge of building and testing equipment for several months then I recommend buying a surface dredge.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors