What to do?

au79ramona

Oct 11, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab SDC2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello, I am new to the forums and have few questions about how to start gold prospecting. I have done the typical creek panning and metal detecting with my GB2 and have had good results. Recently I was talking to my grandfather in-law about gold prospecting when he informed me of some family property that is in the Julian CA gold district. he told me that his father had some samples assayed and the results were positive for gold. Some samples were richer than others, and the best was $50 (he couldn't remember if it was a yard or a ton). This assay was done in the 70s. If im not mistaken gold was around $30/oz in the 70's. Does that mean 1.5oz per yard or ton? Does this assay sound right? I questioned him more and he said I was more than welcome to go do all the digging I want. Question is how would I start? there is a few natural springs that could supply water plus some ponds that he dug all the way down to rock. Right now he said because of the lack of rain the ponds are dry. Should I go swing my metal detector? Dig holes and bring home buckets from across the property and pan them out? There is quartz on the property so should I get some rocks tested? I really am overwhelmed with the possibilities of land that assayed as high as he says. How would you start?

Upvote 0

G1sammons

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2012
Murfreesboro tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Go do so,e testing for yourself don't rely on something done 40 years ago
Then you know what you have without guessing ...

G1sammons

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2012
Murfreesboro tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It all depends on where your finding it old creeks or straight out of the lode ???
Too many questions but you should start by looking around and doing all the above .dig some dirt swing your metal dectors panning sluicing what Evers legal!
What you find will determine where to go next!

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to the forum B! Depending on which area of Julian you're talking about, I'd start where the ore was dug out for that assay. Go over and around it with your GB2. Look for any granite sticking up that has quarts veins and check them as well. Take your time and use a grid system to check it over well. Check any ravines on the property as well because gold will always travel down hill.

BTW... A lot of people use yard/ton interchangeably because a cubic yard of dirt usually weighs about a ton. It's also roughly 40 FULL five gallon buckets.

Jeff

EDIT: yo might want to see if you can get Drywall man to go with you to look it over. He could give you more ideas than I can from long distance.

Last edited:

Sample Pan Dan

Bronze Member
Oct 20, 2012
Bostonia,Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kinda funny, tonight is the first time I ever read this thread. And yes we need to go take a look at that family property and get some samples.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread