Will vortex matting work in a rockerbox?

BIG-LAKE-GOLDPANNER

Nov 22, 2012
above the arctic circle
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am interested in buying some vortex matting, the kind used in the Gold Cube and useing it in a rocker box I plan on building. Before I buy the matting I was wondering if it would even work because of the constant change in water flow? I'm not sure exactly how the matting works, i know it catches very fine gold which interests me because a lot of the gold I get is flood gold but I want to be sure that it would work.

Upvote 0

goldhog

May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the water flow remains high enough to keep it active, and the water flow remains deep enough in the box, then it will it will do OK.
Exchange mattings like to be "tuned in" then generally left alone to work.
The constant rocking and varying flow will often cause the matting to suffer impaction.
You might do better with 1/2" raised expanded and moss. It will handle the flow variances a bit better.
Rocker boxes are not "great" on super fines, I would consider making a long tom unless you have a specific reason for the rocker.
Doc

deserdog

May 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I used my rocker, most of the gold got caught in the canvas apron, very little made it to the ribbed rubber matting.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am interested in buying some vortex matting, the kind used in the Gold Cube and useing it in a rocker box I plan on building. Before I buy the matting I was wondering if it would even work because of the constant change in water flow? I'm not sure exactly how the matting works, i know it catches very fine gold which interests me because a lot of the gold I get is flood gold but I want to be sure that it would work.

Absolutely! Just ask Idaho Jake,

CLICK HERE:http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/gold-prospecting/392409-rocker-box-goes-river.html

* Soon I'll have a FREE DIY fix posted to turn any vortex mat into an "Ultimat"
Capable of easily capturing larger gold nuggets up to 1/4" which is double the current recommended stand alone vortex mat capability :icon_thumleft:
Will allow you to classify to 1/4" instead of 1/8" while still retaining the micro gold.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread