What equipment do i need? Newbie

biggdave92

Dec 31, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just starting this new hobby of searching for gold. What equipment do i need? So far i have:

15" Pan
14" Pan
10" Pan
1/2" Classifier
Guzzler bottle
2 vials
2 - 5 gallon buckets
metal detector
couple shovels

I have been researching and reading my butt off for the past month. I have a creek that i've been playing in that i think might produce a little. I have been twice. Found a fair amount of black sand but no color yet. I bought a bag of dirt off ebay to play with to make sure i was panning correctly and i got some color in it so i think my panning skills are ok. Seems like i need a few things still. Classifiers, maybe a super mini bazooka, and maybe a blue bowl. I know that the sluice isnt needed till i find dirt to run, but figured i may as well get it. as far as cleanup, seems like blue bowl will do what i need.

Also, i could use some clarification on the process of finding and collecting gold. From the time you dump dirt in your first classifier all the way to putting gold in a vial. What classifiers do i need? how fine? I am hesitant to pan all the black sand out of the pan so i've been collecting all the black sand and color in the guzzler. That way, when i get a blue bowl, or whatever i end up with, i can run all the sand to get the gold.

I have always been interested in the search for gold just never got into it until now (33 yrs old). I live in central SC. I'm pretty sure i'll find some color around here somewhere, just gotta do alot of research and test pans.

I have been reading about GPAA and LDMA. That said, i'm more interested in finding gold on my own than going to some creek that everyone knows about. Its more about the search and adventure to me than anything.

One thing i have learned is that gold hunting is like duck hunting (which i have been doing for years). You gotta do the footwork to find gold, and when you do, you gotta be tight lipped.

Thanks in advance for the help! Good luck fellas!

Upvote 0

carnet56

Jan 28, 2013
laurens south carolina
Detector(s) used
white dfx
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
hey big dave send me a private pm and ill send u my phone number I live over on lake greenwood I can learn u a few things and maybe we can get together for a trip I am thinking of going to n.c. and get me some dirt to play with this month and next as soon as it warms up am hitting a few creeks and right now am working on a pop up camper for prospecting out of oh and am buying a dredge soon

OP
OP
B

biggdave92

Dec 31, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
question: I'm running in to alot of clay where i'm digging. Last week i put about 3 shovel fulls in a bucket and brought it home to pan. WHen i got home the clay had settled in the bucket and was very pretty tough to get out and pan. Question is: is clay good or bad? Wont it cause problems in the sluice? Should i stop when i hit clay or dig deeper? Seems like it would be a false bedrock.

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi bigdave and welcome. Buy a Gold Prospectors Magazine. In it you will find great stories and info on the GPAA and LDMA and also a list of every GPAA chapter listed by state and some states have more than one. The magazine is published by the GPAA.

Good Luck!

BH Prospector

mxer47

Jul 28, 2013
It depends if the clay holds gold LOL. Seriously test the different layers by separating them out. If you are having to take it home to pan get some 3 gallon buckets and mark them for depth. I. E. : 1 foot, 2 foot Etc. I'm working some clay now but using a sluice on sight so clay doesn't pose much of a problem. If you are just panning a masons tub can help wash out the clay. Dump in a fair amount and stir it up by hand breaking up all the clumps and exchanging the water often until the water stays somewhat clean. A tub can be purchased at any lowes or Home Depot for under 10$.

OP
OP
B

biggdave92

Dec 31, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I just ordered a bazooka so I guess we'll see. Gonna do more testing this weekend hopefully.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 while driving with my knee...

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I just ordered a bazooka so I guess we'll see. Gonna do more testing this weekend hopefully.

Quoting KevininCO:

Winning! :)

Nice choice, what model did you choose?

newgoldfinder

Dec 19, 2013
Adams County, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, already read that! I'm telling ya, i've been reading my butt off for a few weeks. Also, i do live in the slate belt. And, i have a creek, or stream i would say, that has some great exposed bedrock and lots of good looking rocks. Even though i dont know exactly what rocks to look for. The black sand has my hopes up though.
g

Sorry to say this but black sand is not rare. But large amounts in the same area indicate that its a spotwhere heavy metals (such as gold) are more likely to collect. Anyways stop makin me jealous.Lol .Its been months since i was out panning and i will not be out there anytime soon.

OP
OP
B

biggdave92

Dec 31, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea, I know just because I find black sand doesn't mean gold, but it means I'm learning where to look! To find heavy concentration my first time out was exciting to me. And oh Yea, I'll be out in the creek tomorrow hopefully!

OP
OP
B

biggdave92

Dec 31, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found my first gold today! Went to another Creek, a bigger one, and got 6 or 7 colors in my first pan and 4 in the second. Super mini should be here this week so next weekend I'll get to work. Only had time to do two pans today, ran out of light. And the cool thing is the material I ran was not even a foot down, in the creek, with pretty swift water. I was using a collapsible shovel and it was pretty worthless so I have high hopes.

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
6 or 7 in a pan is good. Imagine what you can do with the Bazooka! Sounds like you are well on your way to the mining stage.

OP
OP
B

biggdave92

Dec 31, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, this was my take from about 15 gallons of material yesterday. Digging for gold is a workout! I was dead tired after my little 4 hour trip. Bazooka exceeded my expectations. I saw about 20 specks trickling down while running material and it caught a lot more than that. Maybe I can get some help next trip. Sucks going solo....

etahy4eh.jpg

Last edited:

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread