Geological question??

oldbrundogg

Sep 22, 2012
Oroville
Detector(s) used
99.00 something or other from big 5
So in the area I'm prospecting here in Butte Co. Near lake oroville , the property is mostly a ridge the south side drops sharply towards the lake, the north side drops sharply to a small seasonal creek . While prospecting on the north side in the creek I find a large amount of garnet and probable ruby, and a little gold. Now when I move to the top of the ridge or down the south side which is very dry except for a little spring leakage, I find peridotite and large amounts of mica, no gold as of this moment.
My question would be does this mean anything other than the obvious, concentrate on the north side with the help of the creek
Any opinions or thoughts are most welcome.

Thanks OBD

Upvote 0

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That would indicate that you are on or very near the alteration zone for an intrusive. The peridot side is likely to be mostly volcanic in origin so I would look for the interface between the two types of mineralization. Work from the garnet side as that is most likely where you will find any enrichment. Keep an eye out for gossans or signs of old mineral springs as well as an actual contact zone.

OP
OP
oldbrundogg

oldbrundogg

Sep 22, 2012
Oroville
Detector(s) used
99.00 something or other from big 5
thanks guys for the info, I have more access to the south side but no water to help. Clay, I'm going to have to look up gossans, and SLNugget, I'm going to have to look for an inexpensive ultaviolet light also the mentioned a fluid to help quickly identify specific gravity the would be nice.

thanks again for the quick responses OBD

mcordell

Nov 2, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Some of the research on the area indicates the Feather River watershed used to flow from north to south. I try to imagine that when reading a river and hillsides for erosion. Hope that helps.

Astrobouncer

Jun 21, 2009
In your quest for gold remember that kimberlite is also a variety of peridotite. So keep your eyes open for diamonds, which will hang out in the pan/cons at about the same place as garnets . Other diamond indicator minerals include Cr-pyrope (chrome) garnets , chromite, spinals, and chrome diopside. See http://geea.lyellcollection.org/content/10/1/81.abstract for more details.

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
In your quest for gold remember that kimberlite is also a variety of peridotite. So keep your eyes open for diamonds, which will hang out in the pan/cons at about the same place as garnets . Other diamond indicator minerals include Cr-pyrope (chrome) garnets , chromite, spinals, and chrome diopside. See Mantle-derived indicator mineral compositions as applied to diamond exploration for more details.

Good call Astrobouncer! In fact fairly close to where he is speaking of is an old hydraulic site and town called Cherokee, where diamonds have indeed been found. The surrounding land is owned by and is part of the DeBeers reserves.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread