Water Pump HELP!!

Huelten

Nov 22, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I recently built myself a highbanker, i finished up all the spraybars and everything and bought all my hose. I was going to use my highbanker this upcoming weekend so i decided to go test my pump and highbanker at the nearest creek, to save a trip all the way out to the ground i was going to work. when i hooked everything up i found out i could not get my pump to draw water, has anyone ever had this problem before or know of what i could be doing wrong?
i have a 6hp gas pump with a hard walled 9ft suction hose. 20 ft of lay flat hose leading to my spray bars. i followed the manual directions to a T. i primed the pump by filling the pump chamber, replaced the cap, and started it and nothing. i played around with various throttle power settings and still nothing. at the end i let the pump run for about 5 min which gave my best "results" and i did manage to get some water in the discharge hose but not very much at all. I really would like to use my highbanker this weekend so if anyone could help that would be awesome!

Thanks

Upvote 0

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like your pump isn't fully primed. A common mistake is that folks don't put enough water in the pump to prime it. They figure they just need to fill to the top of the chamber once and go. The chamber, depending on pump size may look to hold a couple of quarts of water but actually may need a couple of gallons to prime. What is probably happening is you are getting air pockets in the pump chamber and not getting the full prime.

Good Luck!

BH Prospector

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The prime could be running down the intake hose if the pump is not equipped with a check valve or else if the check valve is faulty. :dontknow:

GG~

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, you are not achieving a prime. You could have an air lock that isn't letting the pump fill all the way. Pictures of your setup would REALLY help here.

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Put a check valve on the end of the suction tube that goes into your water source. Fill the pump chamber and allow the water to flow from the pump chamber into the suction tube. Continue filling until the chamber is full and the water is standing within the chamber. A check valve will only allow the water to flow in one direction, that direction is towards the pump. When the pump is off the water will flow back into the suction hose and will close the check valve keeping the pump primed. The key to getting a pump to work is you need to have enough water to start its cycle of pumping, this is why the check valve needs to be at the water source.

I work with large check valves of 12" and these valves are installed at the waters edge of ponds that pump water for entire golf courses.

CHECK VALVE.jpg Twel Ck.jpg

Last edited:

mtau

Mar 21, 2013
MT
Detector(s) used
gmt
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you did finally get some water out the discharge, you probably have a semi- trash pump that is self priming. If so, you have an air leak on the suction side. Check your fittings at the pump, also check the bolts on the pump housing. I bought a new 2in self priming pump, hooked it up, and filled it with water, and all it would do is spit a little water out of the discharge. Checked all the fittings, and hose for leaks. After about an hour of cussing, I checked the pump housing bolts- they were all loose. Tightened them, and end of problem.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No problem at all-simply loosen fill hole to bleed out the excess air within the pump housing as impeller is not submerged fully and just a flailing around. Careful as you'll get a face fulla water unless you just barely open enough to bleed out the air and good to go. As it slowly fills the pressure will rise fast once more than half filled,check and bleed periodically if needed.A simple el cheapo flapper valve works just fine. John

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Can't get any simpler and cheaper thin this very simple design of a check valve. About $10.00... Plus you can see into it in the event something is keeping the gate from closing. These are available in America not the inflated price in the UK...

Last edited:

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hopefully your didn't run it long enough with no water to burn up the seal. If it's a used pump, then the seal might of already been burned up.

OP
OP
H

Huelten

Nov 22, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey i just wanted to thank everyone for the help on my situation. i used a combination of the advice ive received and bought a check valve in addition to filling the intake hose before starting the engine. i went out today to test and it worked on the first try. Just going to dial in my sluice and go get that gold this weekend!

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey i just wanted to thank everyone for the help on my situation. i used a combination of the advice ive received and bought a check valve in addition to filling the intake hose before starting the engine. i went out today to test and it worked on the first try. Just going to dial in my sluice and go get that gold this weekend!

When you shutdown the pump now the check valve will hold its prime provided the pump is above the suction end of the hose.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread