Operation Restore Uwharrie National Forest

ywevis

Feb 24, 2013
Albemarle, NC
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Have any of you recently walked down a creek and seen where people have destroyed the creeks?

Are you aware rangers have been taking pictures of this devastation to ban panning in UNF?

Do you enjoy your national forest?

Operation Restore Uwharrie will be a clean up, and restoration act from this forum.

We need to push the tailings piles back into the creeks. Yes, it will require more work for prospectors down the road, but I believe if we restore the creeks. We won't lose the gold prospecting within the forest. If we show the rangers that we can keep our area beautiful we will retain the right to prospect within our forested areas.

So we are gonna start setting up dates to restore the forest, if you go prospecting, I urge you to restore it back to it's once pristine beauty. It will keep our hobby alive and out of the cross hairs of people trying to stop our hobby.

It's easy to push the tailings back into the creeks. Honestly it takes a whole 3 mins at the end of the day. We have to get the banks looking like it hasn't been prospected so if they do try to ban panning/sluicing we will have something to stand on. This is a proactive approach before something can happen to us.

Any time you go, and you see a tailing pile take the time to push it back into the creek. If you dig below the high water mark, fill the hole in, you shouldn't be digging outside of the creek but it happens. Let's make sure our kids will be able to enjoy it as we have.

Read more: Operation Restore Uwharrie | East Coast Prospectors

Upvote 0

Underburden

Mar 22, 2012
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Gold Hog Stream Sluice
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You are aware that placing gravel, rocks, etc into a creek is a violation of the Clean Water Act...per the EPA.
Look up the EPA NPDES permit that Idaho is fighting.
Just saying.
Bob

Bnugget

Oct 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have any of you recently walked down a creek and seen where people have destroyed the creeks? Are you aware rangers have been taking pictures of this devastation to ban panning in UNF? Do you enjoy your national forest? Operation Restore Uwharrie will be a clean up, and restoration act from this forum. We need to push the tailings piles back into the creeks. Yes, it will require more work for prospectors down the road, but I believe if we restore the creeks. We won't lose the gold prospecting within the forest. If we show the rangers that we can keep our area beautiful we will retain the right to prospect within our forested areas. So we are gonna start setting up dates to restore the forest, if you go prospecting, I urge you to restore it back to it's once pristine beauty. It will keep our hobby alive and out of the cross hairs of people trying to stop our hobby. It's easy to push the tailings back into the creeks. Honestly it takes a whole 3 mins at the end of the day. We have to get the banks looking like it hasn't been prospected so if they do try to ban panning/sluicing we will have something to stand on. This is a proactive approach before something can happen to us. Any time you go, and you see a tailing pile take the time to push it back into the creek. If you dig below the high water mark, fill the hole in, you shouldn't be digging outside of the creek but it happens. Let's make sure our kids will be able to enjoy it as we have. Read more: Operation Restore Uwharrie | East Coast Prospectors

Stop referring to prospecting and mining as a hobby, that will make you lose your rights faster than anything else.

mxer47

Jul 28, 2013
Sounds noble and well intentioned, but, the goal of getting the green movement ( including govt. agency's ) to stop infringing on our legal right to prospect and mine simply by trying to have the "proper appearance" IMO your efforts will be futile. You cannot appease the insane. Getting in bed with these groups will leave you feeling used and angry. They must be fought by all legal means. Now if you are doing this to return the area to its original state I wish you luck. Nothing personal friend, just an opinion based on watching the passing parade.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread