Anyone Have Prospecting Ancestors?

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Miner49er.gif

Here is my GGG Grandfather who made it to Bear River CA. Sept 8 1849. He then went to Steep Hollow and then to Downieville. Earlier in 1851 he struck a pocket and took out 7 lbs. 5 oz in one day. By the end of the month he had over $5000.00 and decided to return to Iowa to sell his farm. He took a young wife and returned to California the next year. He settled in San Bernardino , grew raisins and enjoyed life until he was 98. His son and some of his grandsons were gold miners also.

Goldenmojo

Upvote 0

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
My GrandDaddy on my mothers side was a miner but I don't remember him as he passed away when I was about 2 years old. On my dads side they were all railroad men

AlaskaGold

Nov 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Both my grandpas were miners, one coal the other gold and cooper. Didn't know them as they passed on by the time I was three.

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah there are a few, lol. My Moms side were Cornish miners, also on my Mom's side my GG grandfather was a silver/gold miner in Virginia City. I have his beautiful Damascus barreled Elsie Smith shotgun, complete with a patched bullet hole on the end, and side of one of the barrels. We have several generations of Pennslyvania coal miners. Looking them up in the old census records they are listed as "ore digger", "digger", or "miner". With the on set of electricity the family line shifted to tunnel and mine electricians. My grandfather as well as my dad were both "tunnel rats", he has always said that was his favorite job. Dad in his younger days was also a drill tender for one of my shirttail uncle's in Montana for a time. Dad and uncles have always shared a love for mining, in the 70's and 80's between jobs and any time they could get, they operated four claims on the Feather using a 6"and 4" dredge , and a little 2" innertube style backpack setup. My Grandfather on my Dads' s side came to California to work in the mines in the Mojave.

OP
OP
goldenmojo

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My GrandDaddy on my mothers side was a miner but I don't remember him as he passed away when I was about 2 years old. On my dads side they were all railroad men

Miners and Railroad Men, the same here. My father, Grandfather and Great Grandfather worked the railroads along with countless uncles, cousins. Iowa, Michigan and California....Grandpa also had Blue Jade Mine....

norcalsteve

Sep 30, 2013
Petaluma, CA
Detector(s) used
36" Bazooka Prospector, Gold-n-Sand hand dredge
My great-great grandpa owned the largest supply store in Grass Valley from the early 1800's. When the goldbrush started he made a fortune selling supplies. However, he also ran a poker game in the back room. He lost everything on a poker hand and ended up moving to SF. He opened up a store in SF and was one the first merchants to have slot machines on his counters. I am a 5th generation San Franciscan. GO NINERS!!!!!!!!!

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Some Bear River gold for you Mojo! Awesome piece of history you got. These are my largest most coveted pieces. IMAG0666.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
goldenmojo

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Bear River Chunk.... Nice Work Aufisher!!!

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Been thinking about this thread and it made me chuckle. My ancestors more then likely spent there life fighting to get away from mining and give there offspring, my grandfather's and grandmother's a better life. Now here I am spending my time fighting to keep mining and wishing I didn't have to do anything but mine. Ought to be an interesting chat someday.

ingram4868

Jan 16, 2014
Sparks, NV
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, White's Coinmaster, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Garrett-Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Grandfather, father, and his brothers had the rights to an old gold mine in Sierra City, CA around 1950. They didn't get rich but my brother has a wonderful gold nugget about the size of a very large marble. It was passed down to him because when my brother was a baby my uncles would let him use it as a teething item. It became a fob at the end of a pocket watch and my brother still keeps it under a glass dome.

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm 4th generation on both sides. Great grandad was a hardrock miner in Jarbidge. Grandad operated abucketline dredge in Kal.

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
22222222222.jpg 1111111111111111.jpg 33333333333333333333.jpg here are some pics of my ggmother and her son my gfather, at a location in arizona,where they owned some prospects and a trading post.circa 1950also my father as a kid ,messing round some talus, the location is unknown to me,they are all gone,my ggmother remarried after my ggfathers death, and her new family still resides in arizona as far as i know.

Last edited:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As far as I know all the gold diggers in my family tree were women :tongue3:

miner.jpg

Last edited:

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wow GG! She looks so gold and shiny!

OP
OP
goldenmojo

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks like she could get the job done........

OP
OP
goldenmojo

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Been thinking about this thread and it made me chuckle. My ancestors more then likely spent there life fighting to get away from mining and give there offspring, my grandfather's and grandmother's a better life. Now here I am spending my time fighting to keep mining and wishing I didn't have to do anything but mine. Ought to be an interesting chat someday.

Looking over the fence at the green grass, one never knows how good they really have it, unless of course they are mining.......

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got some family history around Bisbee. When my Dad was about 7 years old ,he found a rich cinnabar deposit , which my Grandad promply claim-jumped! I guess it isn't a good idea to have a 7 year old mining mercury.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread