Still out and about

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Since late Wednesday I have been under the weather some kind of chest cold I think.. Having slept most of yesterday I find myself wide awake in this late hour. Last Sunday I returned from a 4 day trip up to Duncan Canyon. Overall the trip went well. The nights were cold. Lack of rain made panning near impossible unless by the creek.. The creek never saw sunlight where I was and truthfully I had little interest in it.. My attention was high above the creek.. I made my camp about 800 feet above the creek next to a Ravine I wanted to dig. I brought water so I could do some sampling. There ended up being about 3 feet of rotten earth and to top it off I had a nice sized tree sitting smack in the middle of where I started digging. The tree was rotted and I was able to shovel it apart. Thankfully this wasn't in vein under the tree was a thin layer of gravel. The pebbles were small no rounded stones bigger then my thumb.. I dry classified to save water. I panned quickly my only interest in seeing gold.. The gold was very small. a few specks in a bucket. I didn't bother to snuff. Friday I put one in the snuffer bottle.. But he had character. Not very big but I was happy to see him. I suspect I ran close to 30 buckets since Wednesday. My panning area was just mud. I dislike panning in muddy water. Anyway Saturday It rained most the day. The late afternoon evening a thick fog settled in. I should of came home but instead decided to just enjoy the weather and do some reading.. Sunday I came home. I look forward to my next trip I doubt it is not too far off. Wednesday I found myself at Yankee Jims I intended to clear one of the high trails so I could get to one of my worksites without having to wade across the river.. Well I ran into a prospector and ended up piddling around the same area. Well that's what I have been up to.

On a different note
I suppose my activity in some places are now illegal most likely for a while now. Though I pride myself in the use Hand tools and figured it was a more then a fair compromise. I have no intention of stopping.. I guess the lower NF American is now HANDS AND PANS? I have yet to call an verify. Crazy times.. Anyway I am not sure where I was headed with this.. I am going back to sleep.. I hope all is having a good year hopefully getting some good gold too.

Upvote 0

ALewis

Aug 20, 2013
East Bay, Northern Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MadM, I'm gonna be upriver from Iowa Hill bridge this Sat & Sun, probably sluicn on a gravel bar, possibly gonna make my way up past secret can. sun.... Any chance your in the neighborhood this weekend

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
MM 800 feet up.... was that an attempt at loaming....sorry to hear your under weather but buck up and back to it....... need more cool vids....

GM

OP
OP
M

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Loaming seems to be a forgotten part of prospecting. The river and creeks pay well.. But for years I always believed their is more gold higher. Honestly I make all my wage from rivers creeks. Those hills seem to spend it.. But I still try to take any chance I get to take my prospecting higher.. Anyway just one of the challenges of prospecting.. the actual PROSPECTING. Anyway I look forward to the day I get out of the river and into some real gold.
14 Jul 1934 - OLD HAND'S HINTS ON LOAMING Every Prospector Sho...
interesting article about loaming.

The actual vid is of the area I camped.. The Pictures at the end are in the same general area.. I have yet to post all the trips video..

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thats a cool looking place. Looks like a lot of history there.... I swear for a second there I could feel the pine needles under my feet and smell the fresh air......

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I don't think I have ever said anything about the music you pick for your vids but being a part time musician myself it is some of the best that I have heard... is that from a local station low on the dial or....

OP
OP
M

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lanny .. 2:03? Yes.. My exploration of the area has actually turned up a half dozen drift mines the highest around 1500' above the creek. So far I have only accounted for some of the mines place in history. I have only ventured into one of the Drifts mines about 2 football fields deep. I really need my Brother with me when playing around in old mines.

PaulieNoNuggets

Dec 21, 2013
Sacramento, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I suppose my activity in some places are now illegal most likely for a while now. Though I pride myself in the use Hand tools and figured it was a more then a fair compromise. I have no intention of stopping.. I guess the lower NF American is now HANDS AND PANS? I have yet to call an verify. Crazy times.. Anyway I am not sure where I was headed with this.. I am going back to sleep.. I hope all is having a good year hopefully getting some good gold too.

I've met a few people on the river have told me the same thing about 'hands n pans' on the NF American, but this is the most up to date material I've been able to find on the subject. Seems that hands n pans was in effect for a while, but the regulation was withdrawn (many thanks to the Goldhounds!).
Auburn Area Recreation
http://www.icmj.com/UserFiles/file/recent-news/20100428-Robinson-letter-to-State-Parks.pdf

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've met a few people on the river have told me the same thing about 'hands n pans' on the NF American, but this is the most up to date material I've been able to find on the subject. Seems that hands n pans was in effect for a while, but the regulation was withdrawn (many thanks to the Goldhounds!).
Auburn Area Recreation
http://www.icmj.com/UserFiles/file/recent-news/20100428-Robinson-letter-to-State-Parks.pdf

PaulieNoNuggets Thanks for posting this and clearing up the confusion that many of us had about Hands and Pans reg. Thanks to the Goldhounds also for their diligent work in protecting our rights.

Goldenmojo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions