Any Idea on what to do with my Sluice?

H&F909ORO

Dec 26, 2013
California East Bay
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi all,

I found that my EZ sluice is a bit screwed up. The riffles that are plastic are bent forward. I'm trying to figure out on what to do but since it is plastic I really have to think hard. Any idea what to do, I'm stuck. Here's some pics of what I'm dealing with. Trying not to BUY a new sluice, saving up my money for that, so I want to work on this sluice first.

Iphonje Pics 009.JPG Iphonje Pics 010.JPG

Upvote 0

panningjack

Apr 16, 2013
Nampa, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3
My nephew has one of those sluices. The riffles are definitely right side up. Is the top or the bottom of the picture the top of the sluice?

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doubtful that the bend will have any adverse effect whatsoever.
Sometimes soaking plastic in a hot tub of water will allow the memory to reset, however if they came from the factory that way then doubtful the hot water trick will work. Just dont make the water scalding hot or you could warp them even worse.

As long as they set down tight against the miners moss the curve wont hurt anything.

GG~

Last edited:

panningjack

Apr 16, 2013
Nampa, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3
Yes. Curve will not hurt the action. His has the same curve and it works good. Make sure to classify to 1/8"
I would like to find one of the original metal ez sluices they look like a great pack sluice

OP
OP
H&F909ORO

H&F909ORO

Dec 26, 2013
California East Bay
Primary Interest:
Other
The first pic is the top and the second is the bottom. Thanks for the response guys, helps me out a lot. Glad to hear it does not have an affect to it.

Hey Jack, does the sluice work the best with 1/8? I usually always use mine with 1/4.

Another question I have is the flare. The flare is a bit strange on mine. I will upload a pic to show you what I am talking about.

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Pull out the credit card and buy a Bazooka, you'd be surprised how quickly that thing could pay for its self.

panningjack

Apr 16, 2013
Nampa, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3
The first pic is the top and the second is the bottom. Thanks for the response guys, helps me out a lot. Glad to hear it does not have an affect to it. Hey Jack, does the sluice work the best with 1/8? I usually always use mine with 1/4. Another question I have is the flare. The flare is a bit strange on mine. I will upload a pic to show you what I am talking about.
My nephew doesn't have a flare on his. But every one of those I have seen with a flare has that odd angle. Doesn't seem like it would be that beneficial and if I remember right there is a little lip on the top of the sluice that is probably propping the flare up like that. If it were mine I would take the flare off, cut that lip off, and reattach.
I don't think the riffles on that sluice would catch a small quartz/gold specimen bigger than 1/8". That's why we have always classified to 1/8"

OP
OP
H&F909ORO

H&F909ORO

Dec 26, 2013
California East Bay
Primary Interest:
Other
My nephew doesn't have a flare on his. But every one of those I have seen with a flare has that odd angle. Doesn't seem like it would be that beneficial and if I remember right there is a little lip on the top of the sluice that is probably propping the flare up like that. If it were mine I would take the flare off, cut that lip off, and reattach.
I don't think the riffles on that sluice would catch a small quartz/gold specimen bigger than 1/8". That's why we have always classified to 1/8"

Huh, I never really realized the riffles would only catch to 1/8.

Thanks

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi H&F,
I have an EZ sluice just like yours with the flare. I bought it for backpacking because it is lite. Now my grandson uses it and loves it. It will handle 1/2" material without any problem. There is no need to classify further unless you like extra work. In tests I have run I lost no gold running 1/2" material. Your riffles are fine as long as they are snapped in tight. You need to drill a second set of holes under the others to flatten out the flare to the box. Make sure it is flat. Other wise you have a nice little sluice.

Good Luck!

BH Prospector

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Before I knew to classify I just shoveled gravel in my EZ. It still caught gold. Don't need to classify now. Got the Bazooka!

Aurabbit79er

Oct 29, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
A cheap little Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Desert Washplant 1.1.jpg
I made this with an EZ sluice. I still have the flair too.
Just make sure the the riffles are seated up to the front of the matt.
It caught this gold.
Red Chispa cleanup 3.1.jpg
If it catches gold this small it would catch anything bigger.

Follows Camp Craig

Dec 1, 2013
Raleigh, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Team Keene Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Huh, shoveled a modified keene, hand classified or rather washed off the course stuff and tossed the ruff into the sluice dam.
I never felt that I was cheated when it came to classification, it all panned out just fine after a dump and go, X 12 half buckets
(not going to break my back) everything was panned before sundown. no squirreling away cons.
Confidence with an industrial "old school" sluice

Priceless

Follows Camp Craig

Dec 1, 2013
Raleigh, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Team Keene Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would love to challenge anyone on the east fork as to a duel this spring, as I will fly out this March to June on my home turf.

Your dig, my dig, equal diggins!
or if you choose, a free for all!

Anyone have recipes for crow?

For each man you choose, I will choose in the same manner

I will even back up the original poster
the "Frisco kid" with his EZ sluice mounted backwards!

Craig

Last edited:
OP
OP
H&F909ORO

H&F909ORO

Dec 26, 2013
California East Bay
Primary Interest:
Other
View attachment 932448
I made this with an EZ sluice. I still have the flair too.
Just make sure the the riffles are seated up to the front of the matt.
It caught this gold.
View attachment 932460
If it catches gold this small it would catch anything bigger.

Wow, I would of never thought that this sluice could catch that small amount of gold, very nice set up you got there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread