Tired of finding trash

mellowyellow

Sep 30, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Gold bug
We'll, time for me to whine and *****.. Bought a used minelab GP 3000 and a month ago, and have not found a flake yet.. Trying to cross over a bit from dry washing to MD, but boy this is a different animal. I believe I have a good ear for MD, and it will take time to get efficient. I find very very small pieces of lead and trash 2 feet down so I know the detector works.. I guess I just have not walked over a nugget yet! I need a pep talk or a suck it up talk , hahaha..

Upvote 0

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I guess I just have not walked over a nugget yet! ..
That's you and me both. Hang in there. It seems like everytime I leave the claims, I am thinking about how much I could sell my detector for, but I calm down by the time I hit the house.

OP
OP
mellowyellow

mellowyellow

Sep 30, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Gold bug
Yes sir... I know the feeling. Gives me a new found respect for MD'ers. Mentally challenging, just as much as the physical.. Lol. Worst part is coming home and keep telling the wife, another strikeout! Hahahaha. If it was easy then the gold wouldn't be there. Keep swinging bro!! Well have our day.. :)

Gravelwasher

Jan 3, 2011
El Dorado County
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Bedrock and Gold for inspiration and info on nuggets.
Lanny is a great writer and helps transfer some great knowledge for detecting!!

Aurabbit79er

Oct 29, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
A cheap little Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your nugget is out there Scott. So is mine. So when you find mine tell me right away, I'll come pick it up. It's important to Not stop looking. You won't find anything if you don't look.

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Bedrock and Gold for inspiration and info on nuggets.
Lanny is a great writer and helps transfer some great knowledge for detecting!!

Forget about actually driving, wrestling with cactuses, and watching out for rattlers to come home empty handed, just read Lanny's thread. It will take you all weekend, and you will be able to live vicariously through his writings and pics!!

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I find very very small pieces of lead and trash 2 feet down

Dang, that is double discouraging. I only have to dig a few inches to fill my pockets. What i mean is that that machine has you digging deep for nothing. Still wish I had one. Daydreaming of Minelabs here...

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You know, digging trash is all part of the learning curve. I don't even know if I have any idea of how much trash I've dug while learning to find nuggets. I'm always learning something else--it's a constant learning curve.

It's very important to balance your machine properly. You can still find all kinds of trash if your machine isn't properly balanced. Undoubtedly you already know this.

So, I well remember the first nugget I found. It was way up in North-Central British Columbia in an area known for coarse gold that was famous for its high purity.

I spent days and days digging buckets and buckets of trash. That's one of the risks of following the old-timers by the way; they left behind tons of trash: canslaw, bits of lead from the soldering on their food cans, lead from bullets, square nails of all sizes, bits of copper and brass from various fittings, all varieties of wire, pieces of cast iron, lead keys from meat tins, tiny nails of iron and brass from boots and shoes, and the list goes on and on.

The point is, if your machine is balanced properly, and if you're using the right sized coil for the size of the gold you're after, you'll eventually find the gold. I did, and I'll never forget that first nugget. It was exceptionally beautiful--a true character nugget, and I'm sure having to work for it so hard made it that much more beautiful. I'm sure the northern woods are still ringing from the war-whoop I let out when I found it.

After the first one, I got into an exceptional patch in a completely different location and found dozens of nice, sassy nuggets.

Since then, the gold nuggets keep coming, but I'm still digging buckets of trash. The trash is part of the game.

All the best, and hang in there until you hit the first one,

Lanny

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting-gold/69-bedrock-gold-mysteries.html

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm sure the northern woods are still ringing from the war-whoop I let out when I found it.

I plan on scaring every warm blooded creature within a hundred miles when I hit my first one!

trinityau

Jan 20, 2010
Redding, Ca
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, GP 3000 modified
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello Mellowyellow, I do not know the extent of your travels or research. The detectors you use are excellent machines and it sounds like you have a handle on the signals you are hearing and digging. Are you detecting areas that are known and have been possibly hunted out? If so I would suggest taking some time from detecting and go to researching some new areas to detect. I run into the same thing here in Shasta County and I am not new to this game. I don't find gold every day that I go out (sorry guys) I blank occasionally. I do believe that I am more successful than others because of the ongoing and extensive research I do locally. You have possible deposits all around your location within a 100 miles. Research and more research, I believe, is something that will be an ongoing and effective tool for you. Do not limit your research to just where gold has been found but also learn the geology and become one with the ground and your surroundings, keeping your eyes open to the little things that may point you in the right direction. I have found many pockets in my locale that have gone undetected for the last several hundred years of mining. We both live in areas that have diverse mineral deposits, yours may be different from mine, but capable of hiding what you are looking for. Learn the geology, prospect, and I am willing to bet that you will start to see things change. Just my idea's, TRINITYAU/RAYMILLS

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
I've only been detecting for a couple of months now myself but have been digging gold out of the ground for years. Detecting is A WHOLE DIFFERENT ANIMAL! Like Lanny said, following the old timers means cleaning up after them in a lot of cases. COme to think about it, it's not just them either! I've found many modern beer cans, soda cans, as well as old bullets, bird shot, nails, casings and even some buried tin roofing! Now that set off the X-Terra like you wouldn't believe.

I'm getting better with the detector but have yet to find a real nugget. I'll be getting plenty of practice now that we've got a claim to work. LOL..... how long do ya think it will take to shoot 20 acres and do it right?

trinityau

Jan 20, 2010
Redding, Ca
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, GP 3000 modified
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
LOL, I have been detecting some twenty to thirty acre sites for years and keep getting gold off of some, and get quite surprised sometimes. TRINITYAU/RAYMILLS

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scott, I'm sorry. I thought I had already picked up all the trash down there. I guess I missed some. LOL

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good Morning class. Your word for today is "canslaw" CAN-slaw. Can Slaw is the annoying remains of shredded aluminum cans that are found by metal detecting.

I already learned something and it's not even 9 a.m. Thanks Lanny!:icon_thumleft:

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello Mellowyellow, I do not know the extent of your travels or research. The detectors you use are excellent machines and it sounds like you have a handle on the signals you are hearing and digging. Are you detecting areas that are known and have been possibly hunted out? If so I would suggest taking some time from detecting and go to researching some new areas to detect. I run into the same thing here in Shasta County and I am not new to this game. I don't find gold every day that I go out (sorry guys) I blank occasionally. I do believe that I am more successful than others because of the ongoing and extensive research I do locally. You have possible deposits all around your location within a 100 miles. Research and more research, I believe, is something that will be an ongoing and effective tool for you. Do not limit your research to just where gold has been found but also learn the geology and become one with the ground and your surroundings, keeping your eyes open to the little things that may point you in the right direction. I have found many pockets in my locale that have gone undetected for the last several hundred years of mining. We both live in areas that have diverse mineral deposits, yours may be different from mine, but capable of hiding what you are looking for. Learn the geology, prospect, and I am willing to bet that you will start to see things change. Just my idea's, TRINITYAU/RAYMILLS

Read, and reread what Ray has posted here. It's solid gold advice that I didn't touch on in my reply.

If I get a chance, I'll drop in another time and post some of the ways that I "research" areas. It has paid off very, very well over the years.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
mellowyellow

mellowyellow

Sep 30, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Gold bug
but scott you are a hard core Dry washer guy , leaving that behind ?

Hey Charlie.. I will never leave my dry washing.. ! Love to be a shoveling mess , you know this but I need to expand my scope of practice brother. And I truly feel I have the capabilities and equip to find great MD gold.... But do I have the mental patience?!?? I hope so...

OP
OP
mellowyellow

mellowyellow

Sep 30, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Gold bug
Wow some really great info coming in.. This forum still amazes me today. The T net is awesome.

I thank you all for your replies and support! Seems most of you have fought this mental battle that I am fighting presently, lol.

A few members stuck a cord with me on there relays.. You know I have 6-7 books that I have bought on the past.. Some of them recommended by Keene , hoser, ect... And I have NEVER read any of them.. Wtf!? I have no excuse other than I would rather go out and prospect / mine than sit and read a book at home to try and get training. BUT.. There comes a point when u have to step back and take in the vast knowledge of our fore father miners... I have not done this on a reading level..

I think I am gonna try a new type of prospecting along with my old boots stomping method... Gonna try reading and researching.

Another thing I am going to do.. With motivation from a few replies here, I am going to prospect new areas.. I tend to stick to a 200 acre area, that gets mined pretty hard.. Amazingly people are still pulling 1 oz nuggys from there, but seems much much less frequent. I KNOW there are area to mine that are so close to where I am.. I'm not sure if I got comfortable, don't want to be alone, lazy, still hoping.. But I have slacked off big time with hitting "new ground". 2 1/2 years and I usually go to the same area! What the heck?!

2 goals for me to help improve detecting and mining in general..

Going to read and read more..
Going to walk new ground..

Fellas if u have any ideas on how to choose ground, study, read, research prospect, let me know.. More ideas are always good ..

I know there is SO much more gold I can find in the Mojave ... And I plan to get it.. :)

Thanks again all..

Mellow.. YELLOW

OP
OP
mellowyellow

mellowyellow

Sep 30, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Gold bug
Your nugget is out there Scott. So is mine. So when you find mine tell me right away, I'll come pick it up. It's important to Not stop looking. You won't find anything if you don't look.

The second I find it Richard, I will have sent to you on a semi... :). Hope all is well brother

OP
OP
mellowyellow

mellowyellow

Sep 30, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Gold bug
Forget about actually driving, wrestling with cactuses, and watching out for rattlers to come home empty handed, just read Lanny's thread. It will take you all weekend, and you will be able to live vicariously through his writings and pics!!

Intersting, I will read lannys thread as advised.. Thank you sir..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread