Do You Believe?

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So it seems the way the majority of people judge success is in Dollars and cents.. So I am Curious..
Do you really think a person can become successful at mining? Why? or why not? Did all the Old Timers get it all? Is the gold still out their but to many laws and crap to be able to get it? Any other reasons on why a person can or cant succeed. Just curious about your opinions/thoughts.

Upvote 0

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i believe so ,but most cant ,not because the old timers got it all, but because of the enormous amount of effort it takes to do so. very few are dedicated enough to do this, research,hardships,having to do without now ,so you can have a lil later.the presistence to keep going when your not getting the results to setup and run for a day,or days to make a buck.then also i ve seen some go out and spend hundreds of dollars ,testing and playing around searching for the gold, just to say there isnt enough , it cant be done!well ill tell you that it doesnt cost hundreds of dollars to go out and test for viable spots,just your basic gear and grub, and gas. i have too travel hundreds of miles to get to any area that is gold bearing, my cost is fuel and food.but when there, i work until daylight is gone, key is knowing what to look for and where,and tons of work, not playing around,work, work ,work. the hard work and unreasonable expectations is why most say it cant be done, also limiting yourself to just certian aspects of prospecting, like only water,or only chunky gold, when i go out i am prepared to take on whatever it will take to get it, wenches, flour gold, no roads , cold weather,deep burden, what ever it takes! few have the fortitude it takes to be successful .and i guess it depends on who you ask what is the measure of success.

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
From The Diary of a 49er..... ( The kid had been using a rocker and just moved to a long tom)

August 4th 1850.--- "Had a great streak of luck last week. Worked out the claim and before I moved the tom, tried some of the rocker tailings. They were as rich as if the dirt had not been washed and I took nineteen ounces out of the rifle box besides a nugget that weighed nearly an ounce. I've taken out of the claim about one hundred and twenty one ounces........"

How many piles of tailings are laying around full of discarded gold? How much gold is sitting just under the surface waiting to erode out?

I believe there is a lot of gold left and if your particular type of mining happens to coincide with where that type of gold is you will find it... and I am planning on getting my share....

Goldenmojo

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
i guess it depends on who you ask what is the measure of success.

That is the key right there. Almost everyone person has different answer. And, every person might have a different answer based on conditions. Your expectations would assuredly be different if you were in an area that has very little mineralization, versus a highly mineralized area. Even equipment would make a huge difference in the same areas. If I was in the Klondike with a shovel and pan, I would be ecstatic with 4 ounces in a season. With a back hoe and small trommel, 100 ounces would be more realistic. I think that it would be hard to find someone lazy in this field. I have found that shovels don't fit into lazy people's hands. How many times have you seen Todd Hoffman with a shovel in his hand?

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Do I believe that the old timers got it all? No way! There's still plenty of gold to be had if you're willing to take the time to look for it. The recovery methods used by the old timers were crude by the standards of today.

Do I believe that a person can make a good living as a small scale miner in this day and age? Of course I do. If I didn't I wouldn't had bothered to stake a claim and would be one of the people that just do this for fun. As long as the greenies don't somehow manage to get mining outlawed I think that a person can still make a go of it if they're dedicated enough. If the greenies do manage to win, and mining is outlawed, then I'll be an outlaw by standing up for my rights.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread