likelyhood of NJ gold in a local creek?

DaneD28

Jan 19, 2014
New Jersey/PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi names Dane and i mostly metal detect but I was walking along an old creek for about a mile by my dads house and noticed that every bend in the creek had either gravel or black sand, I know nothing about gold prospecting and I know that NJ is not known for gold but is there any likely hood that there is gold in these spots and what would be the best places to at least dig and test. I know there is some gold in the area because we found flakes in a river about 20 min away, also this creek is at the bottom of a valley. None the less any and all advice to approaching this would be a great help. Im new and obviously not trying to get rich but would be cool to find some color in an area that is not known for its gold.

Upvote 0

biggdave92

Dec 31, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only one way to find out! :)

Sent from my Galaxy S4 while driving with my knee...

OP
OP
D

DaneD28

Jan 19, 2014
New Jersey/PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well sure im going to dig but do i dig directly where the sand is or dig down until it hardens out or dig the sides. Im new to this I have a pan but thats about it.

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
I have gotten gold in Salem, Burlington & Cape May Counties.

Learn to do a Purple of Cassius test. Its a fast & easy test. Everything needed for the test can be purchased at any good hardware store. (Not lowes or home depot)

Good Luck!

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look for where streams cross bedrock and look for cracks or fissures in the bedrock and clear all the gravel and sand off and search in the fissures.

Dec 26, 2006
jersey
Detector(s) used
MXT
It would be nice to find gold in NJ especially the higher elevations like High Point in Sussex co. Those glaciers probably pulled some down from the north and I have heard about some flour gold found in Stokes State Forest streams.

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
if the corner is sandy dig down to either bedrock or if you run into a layer of clay work the sandy material where it touches the clay. This can be a false bedrock.

OP
OP
D

DaneD28

Jan 19, 2014
New Jersey/PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok yeah that works have to wait until sunday but will probably do a couple buckets then or early next week when i have more time and we will see.

OP
OP
D

DaneD28

Jan 19, 2014
New Jersey/PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeah I hear ya im from warren county nj so thats where im looking down in the valley. I am in northern warren county fifteen min from the water gap

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Champlain, NY on the Canadian border.
Detector(s) used
Minelab 1000, A Motorized Power Glider Trike, 17 foot travel trailer behind my Jeep. 4" suction dredge/high banker.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Probably not... or at least in any recoverable quantity. I did perform a search at - Search the Mineral Resources Data System at the Mineral Resources Data System. No results for gold. But just because others haven't found any or recognised the mineral for what it is, doesn't mean that it isn't any in the Garden State. Good luck and enjoy the time that there is.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Probably not... or at least in any recoverable quantity. I did perform a search at - Search the Mineral Resources Data System at the Mineral Resources Data System. No results for gold. But just because others haven't found any or recognised the mineral for what it is, doesn't mean that it isn't any in the Garden State. Good luck and enjoy the time that there is.
Nothing listed here due to lack of commercial quantities...lots of artisan miners have found gold in nj due to both glaciers and a speculated but never found hard rock source. Sample around!

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

DaneD28

Jan 19, 2014
New Jersey/PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
im not looking to get rich but just finding some would be really cool, even if its all powder. it adds up over time and i enjoy the hunt so we will see.

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dane, I also have the fever !, I live in burlington co, I wish I started sooner. I'm actually looking online for a starter kit. There are lots of YouTube videos out there on the subject! I also spend a lot of time around the WaterGap and in the Poconos hunting game and treasures hunting!
HH

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Purple of Cassius test.
nitric acid in one part of concentrated hydrochloric acid.

Doesn't sound very safe or effective for the hobby gold prospector?!

I think what you are looking for is glacial....
The Appalachian mountains are glacial in the north west corner of NJ. Something like that?

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Purple of Cassius test. nitric acid in one part of concentrated hydrochloric acid. Doesn't sound very safe or effective for the hobby gold prospector?! I think what you are looking for is glacial.... The Appalachian mountains are glacial in the north west corner of NJ. Something like that?
Agreed, a cool test but not generally needed.

OP
OP
D

DaneD28

Jan 19, 2014
New Jersey/PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
basically where i am is fifteen minutes from the water gap and its basically a low point in a valley from that point so I figured after time the gold cant go any further down if there is any. im probably going out tommorow to probe a little bit. I also metal detect and there is a farm dump in that same area so it should be a productive spring. I hope to find some gold though it would be fun. also would it be an idea to detect in the river or would the gold if there is any be to small to be picked up?

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
basically where i am is fifteen minutes from the water gap and its basically a low point in a valley from that point so I figured after time the gold cant go any further down if there is any. im probably going out tommorow to probe a little bit. I also metal detect and there is a farm dump in that same area so it should be a productive spring. I hope to find some gold though it would be fun. also would it be an idea to detect in the river or would the gold if there is any be to small to be picked up?

For one, it's going to be very cold up there tomorrow !
And if you are in the Water gap area , be careful!
Ok to MD Worthington state forest with a permit from the ranger station. Do not MD on the "federal "water gap area. It's illegal and you will be heavily fined. Don't know about prospecting though!?

OP
OP
D

DaneD28

Jan 19, 2014
New Jersey/PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
im going to my dads house tommorow which is not part of the watergap but is in the valley 20 min south lol. and im just going to poke around not gunna freeze to death.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread