likelyhood of NJ gold in a local creek?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: likelyhood of NJ gold in a local creek?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Dane

Jan 2014
    New Jersey/PA
    Fisher F4
    1 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

likelyhood of NJ gold in a local creek?

Hi names Dane and i mostly metal detect but I was walking along an old creek for about a mile by my dads house and noticed that every bend in the creek had either gravel or black sand, I know nothing about gold prospecting and I know that NJ is not known for gold but is there any likely hood that there is gold in these spots and what would be the best places to at least dig and test. I know there is some gold in the area because we found flakes in a river about 20 min away, also this creek is at the bottom of a valley. None the less any and all advice to approaching this would be a great help. Im new and obviously not trying to get rich but would be cool to find some color in an area that is not known for its gold.

Dec 2013
    30 times
    Only one way to find out!

Sent from my Galaxy S4 while driving with my knee...

us
    Dane

Jan 2014
    New Jersey/PA
    Fisher F4
    1 times
    well sure im going to dig but do i dig directly where the sand is or dig down until it hardens out or dig the sides. Im new to this I have a pan but thats about it.

us
    Mar 2013
    Excalibur II
    657 times
    Mining, Detecting, diving, spearfishing, bow hunting, duck hunting, treasure hunting, real men!
    I have gotten gold in Salem, Burlington & Cape May Counties.

Learn to do a Purple of Cassius test. Its a fast & easy test. Everything needed for the test can be purchased at any good hardware store. (Not lowes or home depot)

Good Luck!

us
    Dane

Jan 2014
    New Jersey/PA
    Fisher F4
    1 times
    thanks ill look into it

us
    Dec 2012
    lower hudson valley, N.Y.
    safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
    2774 times
    Look for where streams cross bedrock and look for cracks or fissures in the bedrock and clear all the gravel and sand off and search in the fissures.
    Ya won't find nuthin' if ya don't hunt

us
    Dane

Jan 2014
    New Jersey/PA
    Fisher F4
    1 times
    thanks gunna sample some dirt tom

us
    Dec 2006
    jersey
    MXT
    It would be nice to find gold in NJ especially the higher elevations like High Point in Sussex co. Those glaciers probably pulled some down from the north and I have heard about some flour gold found in Stokes State Forest streams.

us
    Dec 2013
    N. California
    Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
    4706 times
    Prospecting
    if the corner is sandy dig down to either bedrock or if you run into a layer of clay work the sandy material where it touches the clay. This can be a false bedrock.

us
    Dane

Jan 2014
    New Jersey/PA
    Fisher F4
    1 times
    ok yeah that works have to wait until sunday but will probably do a couple buckets then or early next week when i have more time and we will see.

us
    Dane

Jan 2014
    New Jersey/PA
    Fisher F4
    1 times
    yeah I hear ya im from warren county nj so thats where im looking down in the valley. I am in northern warren county fifteen min from the water gap

us
    Aug 2011
    184 times
    Probably not... or at least in any recoverable quantity. I did perform a search at - Search the Mineral Resources Data System at the Mineral Resources Data System. No results for gold. But just because others haven't found any or recognised the mineral for what it is, doesn't mean that it isn't any in the Garden State. Good luck and enjoy the time that there is.

us
    Author of a book about finding gold in Colorado

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with Banker on top, Bazooka Goldtrap sluices, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
    10551 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by ncclaymaker View Post
    Probably not... or at least in any recoverable quantity. I did perform a search at - Search the Mineral Resources Data System at the Mineral Resources Data System. No results for gold. But just because others haven't found any or recognised the mineral for what it is, doesn't mean that it isn't any in the Garden State. Good luck and enjoy the time that there is.
    Nothing listed here due to lack of commercial quantities...lots of artisan miners have found gold in nj due to both glaciers and a speculated but never found hard rock source. Sample around!
    Last edited by KevinInColorado; Jan 25, 2014 at 10:37 AM.

us
    Dane

Jan 2014
    New Jersey/PA
    Fisher F4
    1 times
    im not looking to get rich but just finding some would be really cool, even if its all powder. it adds up over time and i enjoy the hunt so we will see.

us
    Jun 2012
    NJ
    Whites
    1280 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Dane, I also have the fever !, I live in burlington co, I wish I started sooner. I'm actually looking online for a starter kit. There are lots of YouTube videos out there on the subject! I also spend a lot of time around the WaterGap and in the Poconos hunting game and treasures hunting!
    HH

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links