Gateway Addiction

Apr 17, 2013
I walked downstairs after awaking, my extra printer turned upside down, my dear son telling me there's gold in there. I direct him to talk to his father in February when he gets home from training. He then attempts to keep bringing me potential items to take apart to which I said no, no, no!!! You aren't taking apart my house phone... We get in the car, he says "I bet i could take apart the radio and get gold" to which I responded "and a whoopin.bet..you'd get one of those"
He then ends the night with asking me to please please please go on Craigslist to beg for broken computers and electronics for him.
I truly think he's past the gold "fever" part and is now affected with a severe infection lol
Why am I writing this? You don't care? Well...I was hoping some of you could convince him that there's gold to be found in the dustpan AFTER you sweep fully and properly the kitchen? Or maybe gold in the dryer AFTER you wash and dry and fold your own clothes? Gold in the toilet, but only if its thoroughly scrubbed and disinfected?
Help a mother out.
:) thanks!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
"The force is strong I that one!"
Years ago my partner and I hatched a plan to get rich by removing the gold plating from the electronics cannon plugs used on aircraft. We bought a bin box full of them, cost us more to dispose of them at the dump then what we payed for them. I don't think we got enough gold to cover the head of a pin. However we did provide everyone but our wife's with a good laugh.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
While there is gold in a lot of electronics, recovering it is not as easy as Alex seems to think. It often requires the use of some nasty chemicals. Explain to Alex that he's far from ready to take something like this on even with dads help. (No offense Dad but after the frying pan and black sand adventure....)

Alex is turning into a full blown gold addict. While that's really not a bad thing and can be profitable he still needs to learn to temper his thirst for gold to levels better suited for his age and abilities.

OP
OP
1dayIwillWalkOnST'sOfGOLD
Apr 17, 2013
Yes...ill definitely let him know...and I'll be locking my chemical cupboards up bc guaranty the next search he makes will be "can I mix windex and carpet cleaner with bleach and sunscreen to make ______ (whatever he needs to extract the gold)
........................ I will NOT be leaving him home alone while I go to my doctor appt today. lol

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Why am I writing this? You don't care? Well...I was hoping some of you could convince him that there's gold to be found in the dustpan AFTER you sweep fully and properly the kitchen? Or maybe gold in the dryer AFTER you wash and dry and fold your own clothes? Gold in the toilet, but only if its thoroughly scrubbed and disinfected?
Help a mother out.
:) thanks!

Do you have any old or broken jewelry? A lil here and there and the house will be spotless:icon_thumleft:

Short of that, just try to keep him out at the creek or drywash as often as possible.

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Alex the very fine layer of gold on any of the contacts of electronics is not worth the time / effort or your health to remove the gold. In a commercial environment where this process is done where thousands of electronic parts are cleaned of gold at one time under very controlled conditions. There was a segment on 60 minutes a while ago where a company was exporting computer motherboards and monitors back to China illegally. The locals who were processing the gold from the contacts were coming down with cancers. Alex this is nothing for you to be messing with. Enjoy the hunt for gold with your equipment and leave the retrieval of gold from electronics to professionals.

Rob in KS

Aug 21, 2006
Middle of Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It sounds like you've sure got a handful there. I used to be a kid like that. Somehow I managed to not poison, burn or blow myself up. LOL
I know it's a fine line to walk between keeping him safe yet keeping him enthusiastic about his passions. I may have contributed to a few of my mother's grey hairs.

Your toilet comment reminds me of a post on here years ago. A guy lived in gold country and had a well. The pump would suck up fine gold and it would settle in the toilet tank.

mxer47

Jul 28, 2013
Alex, passion is a great motivator and following it in a responsible way often leads to success. Educate yourself by taking classes about geology and chemistry at school. There you will learn the dangers and potentials of these subjects in a controlled environment. Gold is very seldom easy even for miners with a great deal of experience. Continue with the basics, master them, learn about more complex techniques and incorporate them to your prospecting.
E-waste takes a complex business model with huge volumes to profit from. It is NOT for the new gold seekers.
Good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread