tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Years ago when I lived within walking distance to the upper Arkansas river in Colorado I spent allot of time looking for gold in the river. I used one of these tools to dig out around tree roots, yank boulders out and scrape & pick out moss growth. It is used mostly in underground hard rock mining now to bust up compacted rock piles "or muck as it's called" and clean out the base of a drill face, so you can drill out the bottom holes known as lifters. It has been called the Dog Hole Shovel, Chinese Hoe, Heckle & Jeckle, and most know it as the 'Finn Hoe'. I found it very useful in prospecting placer grounds also. I'm wondering if any of you folks would think it be something you'd use and should I give a little advertising expense in the Gold Prospecting trade magazines?. I'm thinking? ? ? the price would be around $65.00 each plus shipping. Thanks for any opinions.

Attachments

• heckle and jeckle.png
    heckle and jeckle.png
    41.7 KB · Views: 1,287
  • finn hoe 1.jpg
    finn hoe 1.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 669
  • finn hoe 2.jpg
    finn hoe 2.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 594
Upvote 0

dredgeman

Feb 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Metal handle, magnet and tread on in to the market.
Apex picks, pro gold, estwing all make similar

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Could of used that today, had to keep reminding myself it really is January as I was trying to get down through the concrete that should be wet gravel river bottom

I have another suggestion, move the handle socket forward towards the tip about an inch or so, that way the wide back end can be used as a hoe and top layer scraper. If you could maintain that handle shape I would agree on the metal, if not I would rather have that shape and wood.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could of used that today, had to keep reminding myself it really is January as I was trying to get down through the concrete that should be wet gravel river bottom

I have another suggestion, move the handle socket forward towards the tip about an inch or so, that way the wide back end can be used as a hoe and top layer scraper. If you could maintain that handle shape I would agree on the metal, if not I would rather have that shape and wood.
I see what your saying. The way in the mine I would clean down to the rock floor was a swing out and back sweeping stroke using the side of the blade. I'd clean the base of the drill face in little time. It was all a technique you developed, but I did have a better back to bend forward with in those days. I need to ask about the magnet installed on it. Why would that applied to this tool be better? Is it something to do with the magnetite sands or am I missing something here? I did take a look at the Apex Pick as dredgeman mentioned.

Last edited:

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
For metal detecting, pulls trash out of your holes. Square nails, boot tacs, ect

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For metal detecting, pulls trash out of your holes. Square nails, boot tacs, ect
Okay, I wasn't thinking a tool for metal detecting hunts. It is a great design in dealing with river gravels as it sits. The thin blade can slip in behind those watermelon sized boulders and you can pry them out. We had hundreds (I'm not kidding) of them in the mine. There just a great tool for working on piles of rock and digging in tight spots. I guess I need to get one in the hands of an avid placer miner who's out allot and let him work with it. Thanks so much for your input, it's all good stuff to know.

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just noticed one other thing that would be nice. I see the bolts for attaching the handle are regular bolts change them out for thumb screws. A pick is a pain to carry when packing in, having it in a two piece design would solve the problem. Most folks I know carry a multitool of some kind and its easier to tighten thumb screws then bolts with one. I think I would also counter sink the handle just enough for the thumb screws to seat in a bit, but not so deep that it would weaken the handle as an added safety measure. What is the weight? A lot of prospectors metal detect and a tool that is functional for both would be a real bonus. I like the Apex picks for detecting they are a well built nice looking tool, but for me they don't fit the bill for serious mining. This may sound a little weird but they are too nice to be throwing around and prying out football sized cobble with. I also like the Estwing picks they are tough as ell but they don't have a magnet, they are heavy, and being all metal you have to really pay attention so it doesn't interfere with the detector.

Magnet- something to keep in mind, you have to protect it with a collar (tight fitting so it doesn't load up with junk) or something, epoxy alone won't work, first time you lever it over, it'd be gone.
Good luck, let us know when we can order one!

Last edited:

rocme44

Sep 4, 2013
AZ, N.CA
Detector(s) used
AT, Goldbug2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Love your tool and am an avid placer miner. Most of the tools we use are homemade.
Keep it up!

rocme44

Sep 4, 2013
AZ, N.CA
Detector(s) used
AT, Goldbug2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Maybe a magnet option. I do both MD and placer. I would be interest in trying/buying. Like you said, scrape with the side. Leave that part alone, the length as is would allow deeper penetration. I use a Gerber (NATO approved) folding shovel with and scrape with the side.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nothing like a good ole "Hermit Pick" for placer mining. Notice the large rare earth magnet on top..

Attachments

• HermitPicks.jpg
    HermitPicks.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 161
OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing like a good ole "Hermit Pick" for placer mining. Notice the large rare earth magnet on top..
That's a big 10-4 Soloman. Never herd of those picks, pretty slick looking tool. How much is one of those $$$... I see you call Congress a place you hang your hat? I called on a gold mine down that way in the 1990s. I remember someone painted a rock to make it look like a big frog or some kind of monster looking creature??? I sure do like that desert country down that way.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, good old Bart Crowder sells for 51.80. I've known that guy for 20+years, his dad and him we're a big customer of mine when I sold the Brunner & Lay products in the mountain states region. Well I need to see about that price of $65.00 as we are looking at another supply source on this tool. We don't make it. In the past the muck scoop was made in Canada. It is now produced in China, so would be the Crowder Supply tool, it's same thing as mine. It's had a few changes, but I'm not sure it's any better then the old ones?. Thanks! Rdg ... Unit price of $65.00, To much. Note taken

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a big 10-4 Soloman. Never herd of those picks, pretty slick looking tool. How much is one of those $$$... I see you call Congress a place you hang your hat? I called on a gold mine down that way in the 1990s. I remember someone painted a rock to make it look like a big frog or some kind of monster looking creature??? I sure do like that desert country down that way.

They run $60.00 and are made by Calvin Bunker. Yep, Congress is the home of Rich Hill, and several famous gold mines. Frog Rock on 89 is a true Arizona landmark!

Attachments

• Froggy.jpg
    Froggy.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 60

Rdg Sluicer

Dec 11, 2012
Redding, Ca
Detector(s) used
BGT Prospector

BGT Super Mini

Angus MacKirk Explorer

South Yuba Mining Highbanker
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am going to get one. Thanks for starting the thread I have been wondering what they were called.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not a manufacturer of this tool. I sell supplies to mostly hard rock under ground mines and tunnel jobs. This tool finn hoe and I forgot the name muck scoop has never changed in the 30+ years I've seen it used by miners. As it sits I now, I sure liked it and found it very handy in dealing with alluvial rock type grounds when I did a little placer mining 30 years ago. You raise some good questions on the design of this tool. To change this from the current design would be a bit difficult as the manufactures won't make a change unless it's worth it to them. They make hundreds of these now as they are. An add on or change will cost them and I'd be required to make a minimum order of those new designs. If only a hand full of folks except and like the new design and say the old was better. I'd be screwed and sitting on a bunch of finn hoes no one wants. You could be on to something though? An all together new tool designed for the placer miners?... Heck I sell a 12" Crescent wrench that has a hammer head incorporated in to it and a 7/8" box end wrench on the end of the handle to tighten the steel puller on the miners rock drill known as a jack leg drill. Now that change to a standard Crescent wrench was justified by the demand. We sell hundreds of those and the cost of forge dies ain't cheap, but in this case it was worth the expense.

Attachments

• miners wrench.png
    miners wrench.png
    8 KB · Views: 234
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread