Gold Branch of Big Pine Creek?

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been prospecting Big Pine Creek in Indiana going into my third year. I've found some decent gold and have learned a lot about this creek and where she hides the yeller stuff. I've found it hard to give up a day of High Banking to do some prospecting for a new location but I seriously believe there are better places than where I work. I did a fare amount of research before I ever set foot in the creek and finally got permission to work the section of the creek I'm currently working. During my original research I'd read on a few occasions of the Gold Branch of Big Pine Creek. But I'll be damned if I can actually find the geographic location on this legendary branch. So where do you go from here.

Upvote 0

OldFaithful

Tenderfoot
Jan 21, 2015
NW Indiana
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Big Pine Creek

Well lucky for you to find private property and permission to access it, congrats. I don't know anyone on the creek, so I'm curious if anyone knows...what are the reg's for everyone else? Can you just pull up to a bridge, park on the side of the road, walk down to the creek and give it a try? Can you sluice, or just pan? I have driven by the Big Pine Creek at a couple spots and found lots of "No Trespassing" signs. Anyone care to share? Thanks!

Jimmydolittle

Mar 14, 2013
Hendricksville Indiana
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
DNR rules, and regs:http://www.in.gov/legislative/iac/20100602-IR-312100347NRA.xml.pdf
Well lucky for you to find private property and permission to access it, congrats. I don't know anyone on the creek, so I'm curious if anyone knows...what are the reg's for everyone else? Can you just pull up to a bridge, park on the side of the road, walk down to the creek and give it a try? Can you sluice, or just pan? I have driven by the Big Pine Creek at a couple spots and found lots of "No Trespassing" signs. Anyone care to share? Thanks!

OldFaithful

Tenderfoot
Jan 21, 2015
NW Indiana
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the link Jimmydolittle, but I'm no lawyer. What does that mean to the average Jim Bob. Can you pull up to a bridge, park on the side of the road, walk down to the creek and give it a try? Seems like that's a common technique around here for fishing, how about panning?

kayakpat

Mar 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I imagine if they allow access for fishing, they would have to allow for prospecting, although setting up highbankers or dredges or something that would move a lot of dirt would not necessiarly be allowed without permission or rules or something.

IdahoGoldGettR

Mar 13, 2014
Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've found it hard to give up a day of High Banking to do some prospecting for a new location but I seriously believe there are better places than where I work.

I understand your dilemma as if it happened yesterday. Believe me, leaving gold that you may be content with is never an easy feeling but having the urge to find better gold, is the right decision. As OldFaithful stated, "lucky for you to find private property and permission to access it." A word of caution. Its been said many times over, perhaps to such a degree that some folks will say, "it will never happen to me" but gold does strange things to even the best of friends and this permission between you and the owner can change in a heartbeat should you find a sweet spot to his liking. On the bright side of things, you would have no such ground to pursue if this owner did not grant you such an opportunity. Take it for what it is and make the most of it. Your interest in this section's historical past and its geographic location also is a good move. Find out all you can about what mining may have taken place there (either from the present owner, word of mouth, or the State's internet mining archives). Even the smallest of info. may assist you in solving this puzzle. If after relentless search and work on this section proves to be no better ground than what you left, you can always go back to what was once content. But then again you may find gold that will keep you up at night, in anticipation of what tomorrow will bring. Take it from me, that awesome thrill never gets old and I have never regretted that decision I made some 5+ years ago to seek better ground. Kudos to you Hunter, I hope you find a boat load of gold and enjoy the experience what so many dream about. Cheers - Randy

gold4-10-15  (3).JPG gold4-13-15 (7).JPG Gold 4-15-15 (1).JPG gold4-20-15 (4) - Copy.JPG gold4-22-15 (6).JPG

Attachments

• gold4-10-15  (1).JPG
    gold4-10-15 (1).JPG
    264.3 KB · Views: 128
  • gold4-13-15 (1).JPG
    gold4-13-15 (1).JPG
    295.1 KB · Views: 137
  • Gold 4-15-15 (1).JPG
    Gold 4-15-15 (1).JPG
    258.7 KB · Views: 163
  • gold4-20-15 (1).JPG
    gold4-20-15 (1).JPG
    233.1 KB · Views: 141
  • gold4-22-15 (1) - Copy.JPG
    gold4-22-15 (1) - Copy.JPG
    246.9 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other
i would frame that picture and hang it on the wall, thats a good looking pan. oh my! i just noticed each pic is a different day. i think id "pack in my job" and spend my life lookin for gold if i found that.

Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been prospecting Big Pine Creek in Indiana going into my third year. I've found some decent gold and have learned a lot about this creek and where she hides the yeller stuff. I've found it hard to give up a day of High Banking to do some prospecting for a new location but I seriously believe there are better places than where I work. I did a fare amount of research before I ever set foot in the creek and finally got permission to work the section of the creek I'm currently working. During my original research I'd read on a few occasions of the Gold Branch of Big Pine Creek. But I'll be damned if I can actually find the geographic location on this legendary branch. So where do you go from here.

Have you checked the USGS Topo Maps for that area? They should show the names of all the branches if they are/were named! Sometimes you can view them online but most often, I have ordered the Topo Maps that I need for specific locations.

I have found quite a few Gold Branches that feed into creeks, streams or rivers here in Tennessee and know that they were named that due to Gold being found on them. One of these of which I ordered the Topo Maps apparently had a Gold Mine on it long ago and the stream flows from a high mountain which has numerous large outcroppings of white or whitish Quartz above the head of the branch. I can investigate some of the branch but not the Quartz outcroppings as there is a Shooting Range below it and to investigate the outcroppings, I would be in the line of fire.

Frank

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread