found gold in a little brown bottle

DanB

Oct 23, 2007
while poking around in an old mining camp... I found a old brown bottle... I open the lid and saw the gold.... some old miner lost his stash.... if I didn't collect old bottles... I would have walked right by it.... I would post a picture but I can't get it to upload.... I'll keep trying to post a picture... I don't like how they made this new site.... especially with the advertisement below all the comments...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Roadrunner was telling me a few weeks ago how you should keep your eyes open for rifle shells with a stick broken off in the mouth. He says the old timers would put their gold in the rifle shell, and break off a stick in the mouth to serve as a container. Pretty ingenious if you ask me.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whole shotgun barrels have been found filled with gold and crimped shut... To post pictures scroll town past the subject field to where it says manage attachements or click the go advanced button. You have to resize large pictures before you can upload them.

OP
OP
DanB

DanB

Oct 23, 2007
I select the picture icon....a small window pops up .... it says my computer or URL....i select my computer....i click on the picture I want..... it appears to select a picture..... so in the popup window there is no picture data...... when I hit upload nothing uploads.... I have the correct pixel size...... re select a picture hit up load and nothing happens.....any thoughts

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Power cycle your router? Close down the explorer and start everything fresh again? I tried to post pics last night, had the same thing happen as you. Today, same process, success.

OP
OP
DanB

DanB

Oct 23, 2007
not using the PC..... never had this problem before from uploading pictures to the site from my cell phone..... Thanks for everybody's help I'll keep trying to post

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whole shotgun barrels have been found filled with gold and crimped shut... To post pictures scroll town past the subject field to where it says manage attachements or click the go advanced button. You have to resize large pictures before you can upload them.
Interesting. In the book "Western Mining" by Otis Young, he describes how a shotgun loaded with gold dust was used in salting both a lode mine and placer mine to make the claim seem better then it was to a prospective buyer of the claim. They'd either shoot the rock face with a blast of a shotgun filled with gold dust or shoot the placer deposit about in the same way. Trolling for a sucker was how you made a profit from the claim you'd be selling. Hope I'm not giving any ideas to any of you out there.

dang! sure like to see that little brown bottle of gold.

Last edited:

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Interesting. In the book "Western Mining" by Otis Young, he describes how a shotgun loaded with gold dust was used in salting both a lode mine and placer mine to make the claim seem better then it was to a prospective buyer of the claim. They'd either shoot the rock face with a blast of a shotgun filled with gold dust or shoot the placer deposit about in the same way. Trolling for a sucker was how you made a profit from the claim you'd be selling. Hope I'm not giving any ideas to any of you out there.

I saw that salting in cowboy movies YEARS ago,black&white too!:laughing7:

GOD Bless

Chris

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw that salting in cowboy movies YEARS ago,black&white too!:laughing7:

GOD Bless

Chris
I wonder what old western that was. I'd like to see it. I love those old westerns. Peace be with you!

LP13

Dec 31, 2012
Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Roadrunner was telling me a few weeks ago how you should keep your eyes open for rifle shells with a stick broken off in the mouth. He says the old timers would put their gold in the rifle shell, and break off a stick in the mouth to serve as a container. Pretty ingenious if you ask me.

I would find from time to time rifle cartridges crimped closed by biting (you could see teeth marks in the cartridge) at Vulture Mine. My friend was caretaker there until recently when it sold. The old timers used them for sample containers or for storing the days finds. I found just a few flakes of gold in a few of them. Never any great quantity though. Still haven't figured out what they had in the ones that were bit closed that had nothing in them... there were plenty of those. Can't figure out why they bit a cartridge closed without anything in it. One thing crossed my mind was that they had used them to hold their mercury which had long evaporated out (biting them closed isn't a very good seal).

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
@LP.
Maybe to throw guards or sups off when or if they where asked for cons or where searched, or asked to empty out there pockets.
When they where, they would say they found a couple of shells, but where stomped shut, or stepped on.
If I pulled out 5 shells from my pocket, but one had a scratch in it,but the rest did not, the person would not know that the scratch meant to me to keep it, and throw the others away.
This way I only had to open 1 to get my stash.
In other words, decoys. Or like you said, mercury, they where not very smart or educated back then about mercury I think.
I have been a carpenter, framer for years, and now they tell us that all the wood we cut with arsenic in it is bad for us.

LP13

Dec 31, 2012
Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
@LP.
Maybe to throw guards or sups off when or if they where asked for cons or where searched, or asked to empty out there pockets.
When they where, they would say they found a couple of shells, but where stomped shut, or stepped on.
If I pulled out 5 shells from my pocket, but one had a scratch in it,but the rest did not, the person would not know that the scratch meant to me to keep it, and throw the others away.
This way I only had to open 1 to get my stash.
In other words, decoys. Or like you said, mercury, they where not very smart or educated back then about mercury I think.
I have been a carpenter, framer for years, and now they tell us that all the wood we cut with arsenic in it is bad for us.

Vulture mine did have a lot of theft. I think if I recall correctly over 20 people were hanged there for stealing from the mine. I'm really only speculating on if they held mercury or not, as I really don't have any proof that the old miners ever did put mercury in shell casings.

bill-costa rica

Sep 19, 2010
playa samara
Detector(s) used
sd2100 infinium ls, 10 inch dredge

the best story I have heard was from a churn drill operator. this folks many years ago were trying to get a patent on their block of claims. the geologist was there from the blm to oversee the testing of the values coming out of the ground. they wanted to be sure that there was good values so they could get there patent. the geologist wasn’t new to the game so he was watching for anyone salting the ground and was picking out the drill locations. no way to salt the ground right ? the drill operator chewed Copenhagen. a lot of Copenhagen and used to spit a river. as they were drilling to holes for testing he would take a dip and spit in the hole. over and over. his Copenhagen was loaded with gold. the holes were salted and the clam owner got there patent.

bill/cr

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The shotgun barrels I have read about were used by shopkeepers who used them to hold dust they gained during transactions. I read about them in a treasure hunting book that was published in the mid sixties. They were found near Mok Hill.

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
e-mail the pics to someone, and they can post for you, and we can see what you found.

not using the PC..... never had this problem before from uploading pictures to the site from my cell phone..... Thanks for everybody's help I'll keep trying to post

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread