Going To Try This For A Living

Jonsered

Oct 12, 2009
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
Well, I'm finally at a point in my life where I have a little time and money, and I figured there was no quicker way to use up both than going mining, except perhaps for a 19 year old mistress. 8-) I've spent a few years slowly acquiring equipment, prospecting my chosen area, acquiring claims, getting my state mine certs, getting the money together for the bond, etc., and I think I'm ready to go. I'll post pics as the weather warms up and I start setup. What I need from the experienced folks here is an honest source to sell my leftover black sand. I've had my sand assayed, and I'm getting some platinum group metals as well as a good bit of tungsten, and a good bit of super fine gold that is evading my equipment. Obviously I need to maximize profits, so a point in the direction of a reputable buyer would be much appreciated. Wish me luck!

Upvote 0

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
GoodyGuy has a solid place to sell your black sands, he asks that you donate 10% to the Make A Wish foundation. Send him a pm for the details.

PS congrats on getting everything organized for your mining op to get rolling. Looking forward to your pics and stories along the way :)

Last edited:

ingram4868

Jan 16, 2014
Sparks, NV
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, White's Coinmaster, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Garrett-Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A leap of faith in your own abilities is what more people need. Congratulation and enjoy your new path.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always get sad watching retired folks in Las Vegas dropping their retirement away little by little. Heck yah! go for better odds and come hell or high water I think your still a winner with a plan like that. Good Luck to you and I hope you strike it rich:thumbsup:

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ditto on above comments - got my fingers crossed - try to have fun along the way, and keep us posted. What state are you going to be in ?

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MAKE A WISH FOUNDATION ROCKS :headbang: always volunteer for these great folks as you'd be surprised how many folks want to try a bit a mining. Dredging too hahahaha-John

OP
OP
J

Jonsered

Oct 12, 2009
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
Thanks Kevin, I'll touch base with him. I know some of you think I'm crazy, but after the hit my 401K took in early 2009, Hell I can throw $35K a year at this for five or six years and still be ahead! I have zero debt, my kids are grown and gone, I've set aside a nice little pile for them, screw it. I started a business once with $700 dollars and put two kids through college. I'll keep ya"ll in the loop.

mxer47

Jul 28, 2013
Crazy, no. This is ideal, you seem to have done all the things that set you in a position to succeed. When I first read the title I thought here we go again, some has been watching too many tv shows but you sir are living my dream.
Good luck, keep us posted.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hey just remember the sunscreen

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well ya gotta be a little crazy or it just wouldn't make sense! I thought the same as Mxer when I first saw it as well. Now I just think your 5 or 6 years ahead of me, that is if Ca. doesn't foul it up for me.

OP
OP
J

Jonsered

Oct 12, 2009
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
Ditto on above comments - got my fingers crossed - try to have fun along the way, and keep us posted. What state are you going to be in ?

New Mexico. I'm still stalking some other adjacent claims, so I'll keep the spot for now. Been successful placer gold mining in this spot on a real small scale for 150 years plus. I actually ran my first pan of dirt, frisbee of dirt actually, 400 yards from the main body of my claim when I was about 9. :-)

And for the record, BLM in my area is about as mellow as a Federal Agency can be, at least in my case.

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Jonsered and welcome. I am very jealous that you are set up and ready to go. I wish you all the luck and Gods speed and may big brother stay off your a$$. Can't wait to see your pics.

BH Prospector

OP
OP
J

Jonsered

Oct 12, 2009
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
RE pics of my evolution. Is there a thread or category here on TN for photos of wash plant set up and growth, or is this an appropriate place to put up things as I go?

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
RE pics of my evolution. Is there a thread or category here on TN for photos of wash plant set up and growth, or is this an appropriate place to put up things as I go?

Just put 'em up with the thread here. Wishing you
the best of luck on your venture!

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Morning Jonsered,
Good news, you are not crazy! You've done your homework, your life is in order and you are now ready for an interesting adventure and you've no Pie in the Sky outlook about mining, no guarantees about large success but very little loss as compared to the 401k troubles. You will use up some time and while doing that you will get exercise, fresh air and every now and then a few sweet surprises. I suggest you be careful about your physical condition and work up to heavy labor as mining is Work and lots of physical stuff at that. No use laying yourself up crippled for a long period of time so gradually work up to it and even do simple exercises at home frequently.

The best of success to you!...................63bkpkr

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Without having a debt to service, you're already miles ahead. GL

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Good luck to ya man! I'm in the same position myself and have just picked up our first claim here in AZ. It's hard work and we both have to keep a level head on our shoulders but we can do this. It's always the start-up that's the money drain, but once you've gotten past that it's a lot easier.

Sounds like you're on BLM land so that's one less agency you have to deal with. I'll have to deal with the USFS as well and their track record in this area isn't the best.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread