Is it gold or mica schist

GeorgiaGold

Nov 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am posting a video of my rock specimens at "Got A Rock you Want Identified? Post it here! gimme a good picture or 3 or 4!" contributor "Dusted You" on this site. My original question was about this being gold or mica. My YouTube site is Georgia Gold. You can see my "gold" videos there. I will try to post a direct link here soon. The new video is all types of rock specimens so if any of you would like to help identify them for the benefit of everybody, I would appreciate it.

A university professor and head of the department said of my samples, "the vial contained hydrobiotite, a form of mica, and the rest was either hydrobiotite or muscovite schists, in which the mica's have either a gold or silver colored appearance. The specific gravity (density ) test indicated mica with a range from 2.8-3.0. Silver has a density of 10-11 so its not silver. The wavy appearance of the large sample is the schistocity of the rock imparted by the platy nature of the mica grains."

I HAVE REMOVED THESE VIDEOS FROM YOU TUBE BECAUSE PEOPLE KEEP LEAVING COMMENTS ABOUT THEM. IT IS TOO TIME CONSUMING TO KEEP EXPLAINING THEY ARE NOT GOLD, ETC.

My question was why, when I took a sample to a place that buys gold and they checked it with a digital gold detector, did it say it contained gold? My metal detector also gave a gold signal and I did a test also of a gold ring at the same time. Who is correct? The professor did not use any type of digital gold testing equipment.

I read one post which said my videos would show people what to look for and give good advice for others so I am sending the link to my videos. I appreciate responses from all the gentlemen who have replied and have taken note of your advice and defense. The rest of you know who you are...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Meep

Oct 30, 2013
San Diego
I am blinded by gold fever and suffer from an affliction. That is what a grown man geologist said instead of explaining how to tell the difference between gold and mica
People want gold, most prospectors jokingly acknowledge "the fever." You seemed to be convinced it was gold in your videos, telling everyone to watch and see that it isn't mica. Opinions here told you the opposite and you came here for the opinions. Short of going to an assayer, I would find someone that knows how to pan gold and give it a little shake. Gold is a lot heavier than those specks and, if you do have some in that vial, it wont move like that in a pan.

The easiest way to see the difference is weight, but you'd need to find someone familiar with how gold moves in water. It doesnt float, not like that.

OP
OP
G

GeorgiaGold

Nov 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey thanks Meeo. I posted one video where it sinks pretty quick. Of course biotite might sink quickly too. I will try to find some prospector nearby to help me.

simbad42

Nov 10, 2013
Santa Barbara
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Simbad this post has only been up a few hours
If you read the op's of the link I posted, 2nd post. He quite clearly says he told you it was not gold on the 31st of December, or earlier.
But, OK. You win and I'm wrong.
Keep at it. I'm sure you will find some real gold specimens to sell if you keep at it.

Meep

Oct 30, 2013
San Diego
Hey thanks Meeo. I posted one video where it sinks pretty quick. Of course biotite might sink quickly too. I will try to find some prospector nearby to help me.

That's the route I'd go with. Who knows, you may have some bits in there but its hard to identify by sight and metal detectors. Definitely seek out a prospector, at the very least they would be able to show you how gold moves compared to other stuff. From then on you'd be able to check all the stuff you find yourself and be more confident with it. Once you see how gold sinks and settles it's almost unmistakable compared to other materials.

OP
OP
G

GeorgiaGold

Nov 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Simbad,

The December post was about a piece of white quartz with mica on it not these small nuggets. I do have some rock with gold flake from a nearby goldmine but it looks the same to me.

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:
OP
OP
G

GeorgiaGold

Nov 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I came here for an answer and the men back each other up over things that have nothing to do with my question.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is the OP trolling?

GeorgiaGold, someone is taking you for a ride. Listen to the folks at the University.

Please obey our rules, drop the trolling comments...

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Muscovite - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's a shame that you are taking good advice as a personal attack. No one has been rude to you in this thread.

L.G.

Suggesting someone is "trolling" is rude and it also violates our rules.

The comment a fool is born everyday was directed at eBay buyers and not an attack or being rude....

All members please remember our rules and please give new members a break...

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

GeorgiaGold

Nov 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for your replies. I was about to close my account.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for your replies. I was about to close my account.

The like is for the Thank you ! No reason to close your account , you are welcome here !

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's Muscovite Mica. I meant to get on this thread yesterday and tell you. I am a retired whitewater river runner and have canoed and rafted most of the north georgia , western north carolina rivers. The Tocoa River changes its name at the Tennessee state line , It beomes the mighty Ocoee River , the most rafted river in America. It and other rivers in the area are full of mica. You can see it swirling around in the eddies. I had a geologist friend who showed me the cubes of mica in the slate out croppings. Its everywhere on the Ocoee. Come see for yourself.

Astrobouncer

Jun 21, 2009
I have to agree that what you are showing is muscovite mica schist. Dont be discouraged though because many of us thought the same thing when we were starting (about mica being gold). Just stick with it, keep digging and you will find some nice gold eventually. In looking for gold I believe patience is the key factor. It takes a lot of time to locate good areas, and even longer to find the great ones or the concentrations of gold on the mediocre spots. A lot of people ask me why I always find good gold in my videos. Well the reason for that isnt because I am always on the gold, but that I simply do not stop and video until I do find the spots worth showing. And also, I suggest you go to some of the pay to play places like Gold & Gem grubbin. Once you see and feel gold in your hand theres no mistaking it again.

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know I have not tuned in to this sight for a while now, used to be fairly active and have learned a lot from some of the very people that posted to this thread. The OP posted some very interesting videos along with, not so much a question, but more of an opinion why it was thought the material in the vids was gold. I've been where this poster was. I've learned from people on this site and the vast amount of information within it. I responded to this thread with what I thought was a reasonable opinion as did others. I don't agree that anyone was rude and do believe that "gold fever" acts in strange ways at times. Maybe this was one of them. I think it's a shame the vids were pulled since they could have been very helpful and educational for anyone new to the hobby with similar materials in hand and their quest to find the answer to "what is it". I found out along time ago if you want the respect of those who do know what there are doing here all you need to do is listen and learn. You too will come to be respected for that alone. Constructive criticism was construed as something else. The vids could have helped others learn too.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Implying someone is "trolling" or is a "troll" violates TN rules, it is an insult. ...

Long time members need to try to give new members a little break since they are new....

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TH, agreed and not refuting that one at all. Everybody make mistakes and that's why these things need to be moderated. I would hope you would agree there was some good information in the thread, that now seems a waste of space on this forum since anyone reading it will gain nothing without the videos to reference. The only value it has now is to show one example of what shouldn't be posted. Guess that's not all bad. Respectfully

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread