Is it gold or mica schist

GeorgiaGold

Nov 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am posting a video of my rock specimens at "Got A Rock you Want Identified? Post it here! gimme a good picture or 3 or 4!" contributor "Dusted You" on this site. My original question was about this being gold or mica. My YouTube site is Georgia Gold. You can see my "gold" videos there. I will try to post a direct link here soon. The new video is all types of rock specimens so if any of you would like to help identify them for the benefit of everybody, I would appreciate it.

A university professor and head of the department said of my samples, "the vial contained hydrobiotite, a form of mica, and the rest was either hydrobiotite or muscovite schists, in which the mica's have either a gold or silver colored appearance. The specific gravity (density ) test indicated mica with a range from 2.8-3.0. Silver has a density of 10-11 so its not silver. The wavy appearance of the large sample is the schistocity of the rock imparted by the platy nature of the mica grains."

I HAVE REMOVED THESE VIDEOS FROM YOU TUBE BECAUSE PEOPLE KEEP LEAVING COMMENTS ABOUT THEM. IT IS TOO TIME CONSUMING TO KEEP EXPLAINING THEY ARE NOT GOLD, ETC.

My question was why, when I took a sample to a place that buys gold and they checked it with a digital gold detector, did it say it contained gold? My metal detector also gave a gold signal and I did a test also of a gold ring at the same time. Who is correct? The professor did not use any type of digital gold testing equipment.

I read one post which said my videos would show people what to look for and give good advice for others so I am sending the link to my videos. I appreciate responses from all the gentlemen who have replied and have taken note of your advice and defense. The rest of you know who you are...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

GeorgiaGold

Nov 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Cyberfish,
I guess I should have hit some with a hammer earlier. I also found out that nitric acid will not dissolve mica so that is where I had some confusion. Well, I have warm weather around the corner so hopefully can prospect for some real gold! Thank you for your advice.

ElNorm

Mar 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, so I'm new here. It's my turn to be gold blinded. I confess that I have been spending WAY too much time with this stuff. Ha. Been doing all of three weeks now! Tons of research and lots of cold weather samples from rain swollen local creeks. My pan hand is sore. I keep telling myself that it's just a curiosity.

Where I'm at here in NE Alabama there has been quite a bit of gold mining historically. I spiraled in to the most promising creek the other day and with just a few lame shovels of dirt have turned up the best stuff yet. Lots of black sand and some real metallic looking shiners. It's different from the layered crumbly gold looking stuff I turned up elsewhere.

Here is supposed to be "low quality" gold. However, I have seen pictures from my chosen creek of "color." Now I'm beginning to wonder if that color was nothing more than golden mica. Heck, I have known about mica all my life. They used to mine it here. But I had never heard of golden mica. All I ever saw was silvery like fish scales. Jeez!

I'll spend an hour panning a small pan into a larger pan and then panning that again looking for microscopic fleckles. For reasons I can't fathom, swirling sand around in a pan is fun. It's nuts!

Since I don't have an old timer with a white beard who will take bacon and beans (and a little hay for his mule) for pay, I'm really out here by myself in Indian territory for sure. (Actually the Creek Indians from my area had more sense than to go to a creek with a pan.)

Am I turning mica or gold? Darn that sulfuric acid! I had high hopes for that stuff until I learned the only two metals not found in asteroids that can't be dissolved by the fruminous stuff is gold and dang mica. Dang!

Seems like after 400 years of gold mining that there ought to be one simple test that even an unlettered sour dough from close to town could figger out.

I'm just venting. Hey, I have enjoyed this thread! Call me a wild eyed gold chasing hard scrabble. I don't care! Ha

Norm

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread