Is it gold or mica schist

GeorgiaGold

Nov 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am posting a video of my rock specimens at "Got A Rock you Want Identified? Post it here! gimme a good picture or 3 or 4!" contributor "Dusted You" on this site. My original question was about this being gold or mica. My YouTube site is Georgia Gold. You can see my "gold" videos there. I will try to post a direct link here soon. The new video is all types of rock specimens so if any of you would like to help identify them for the benefit of everybody, I would appreciate it.

A university professor and head of the department said of my samples, "the vial contained hydrobiotite, a form of mica, and the rest was either hydrobiotite or muscovite schists, in which the mica's have either a gold or silver colored appearance. The specific gravity (density ) test indicated mica with a range from 2.8-3.0. Silver has a density of 10-11 so its not silver. The wavy appearance of the large sample is the schistocity of the rock imparted by the platy nature of the mica grains."

I HAVE REMOVED THESE VIDEOS FROM YOU TUBE BECAUSE PEOPLE KEEP LEAVING COMMENTS ABOUT THEM. IT IS TOO TIME CONSUMING TO KEEP EXPLAINING THEY ARE NOT GOLD, ETC.

My question was why, when I took a sample to a place that buys gold and they checked it with a digital gold detector, did it say it contained gold? My metal detector also gave a gold signal and I did a test also of a gold ring at the same time. Who is correct? The professor did not use any type of digital gold testing equipment.

I read one post which said my videos would show people what to look for and give good advice for others so I am sending the link to my videos. I appreciate responses from all the gentlemen who have replied and have taken note of your advice and defense. The rest of you know who you are...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doesn't act like any gold in water that I've had or seen in a glass vial. Your specimen acts lighter than gold should. Being 19 times heavier than water it would not be floating around like in your video and it doesn't normally clump or stick together like in the video as well. Sorry and maybe I'm wrong but don't think so and I don't have a clue what it is you have but I would go with the professor on this one.

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Georgia Gold just watched your third video and I gotta say you need to be careful how you handle them gold nuggets cause you got gold flaking off on your fingers in the video. Somebody help me here will ya!

OP
OP
G

GeorgiaGold

Nov 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I appreciate the replies. It just seems strange that two different metal detectors, one at a place that buys gold, and one of my own both say there is gold. If there is any it would only be about 20 percent.

Lotus Geologist

Jan 6, 2014
Lotus/Coloma, California
Detector(s) used
MXT, TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Want to really determine if there is gold in your sample? Offer to sell if for a fraction of its supposed worth to the "place that buys gold" and the folks that say there is gold in it.

I imagine you will have a tough time finding a buyer at any price as mica is a very common mineral, and not worthy very much at all, even with specimen quality samples like yours. As part of a comprehensive mineral ID specimen kit it might be worth ten cents.

L.G.

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry georgia gold but your tests in the videos, shaking and such if it was gold it would not float at all but sink imeadiately. Also your metal detector test will be flawed because you did it indoors. Nails in the floor and all the electricity and wiring in the building will not give you an accurate reading. The professor is the one to believe.

simbad42

Nov 10, 2013
Santa Barbara
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm confused, why ask if it could be mica( BTW it's mica or pyrite) but then keep saying that it is gold. as for selling it as gold on eBay... good luck, I guess... they do say a sucker is born everyday.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

GeorgiaGold

Nov 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know I thought this site was to help educate people but obviously it is a place for people to show how rude they can be. I asked a simple question and have received several rude replies. If you dont have anything to say that helps someone distinguish rocks then please do not reply.

Lotus Geologist

Jan 6, 2014
Lotus/Coloma, California
Detector(s) used
MXT, TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
No need to be rude mr geologist

You are confusing rudeness with forthrightness, due to you being a bit blinded by gold fever. You are not the first nor last to suffer from that affliction.

I was not belittling you, your knowledge, or your mica sample. You came here for advice and I gave you my educated opinion, based on a couple decades of gainful employment in the geosciences.

Many people think they hold the next precious gem, Ming Dynasty vase, million dollar antique, or gold ore sample... They are convinced I tell you! Right up until they can't give it away.

Enjoy your sample for what it is. Micas are a fascinating subgroup of the most common mineral group on Earth... The silicates (mica being a phyllosilicate). There are many industrial uses for mica and they are included in many household products.

L.G.

OP
OP
G

GeorgiaGold

Nov 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still not explaining how someone can tell the difference but being rude again attacking the person

OP
OP
G

GeorgiaGold

Nov 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am blinded by gold fever and suffer from an affliction. That is what a grown man geologist said instead of explaining how to tell the difference between gold and mica

OP
OP
G

GeorgiaGold

Nov 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Simbad this post has only been up a few hours

Lotus Geologist

Jan 6, 2014
Lotus/Coloma, California
Detector(s) used
MXT, TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Do you not realize you are in good company here? These forums have literally thousands of members who will affirm that they suffer from the affliction of gold fever. The fever is only a bad thing when you make decisions contrary to common sense and generally accepted science.

Guess what sweetie... I have gold fever... I'm disgustingly afflicted with it... And I'm proud of it.

:laughing7: L.G.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Georgia Gold Best thing to do is get the gold bearing maps or go to Dahlonega Ga. I have hiked many of the forrest and Mtns there and there are whole ridges that look like gold but are not. Here is a chunk that wants to be gold but is not. I do have a little gold from Ga though. They find it often..

This is not gold but from Ga

photo.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread